Cambridge UK

All that "hyping" a release with previews and whatevs in the releases section is annoying.
Releases should be for RELEASES, not "Well I think I might be releasing something at some point, in the meantime can you all suck my dick a lil'? Please?".
But then, I'm a meanie.
Discuss.

uhajdafdfdfa

alternatively, a HYPE forum for actual HYPE

and a way of hiding/ignoring forums

Cambridge UK

Or a Frostbyte section.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
George wrote:

I'm a meanie.
Discuss.

You're a meanie.

Cambridge UK
Auxcide wrote:
George wrote:

I'm a meanie.
Discuss.

You're a meanie.

We're all in agreement here.

OK, so a Frostbyte section with the option of ignoring it.

How about a "George's Playground" section? Then everyone can post what you like in there.

IL, US

there was a little discussion among the staff about this, but dont think we ever reached any real decisions... i'd personally be for a rule stating that you can only post in the releases section once its actually available and pretty much just disallow the hype threads... it doesnt help that most of the hype ones come from people who i havent heard of before and i suspect most members would say the same

Tokyo, Japan
e.s.c. wrote:

i'd personally be for a rule stating that you can only post in the releases section once its actually available and pretty much just disallow the hype threads...

This please!

Cambridge UK

I'm glad to learn that it was at the very least discussed.
I, for one, blacklist anyone who posts hype threads: I will never ever listen to anything released by that individual.

California

Funny, I was thinking of doing a hype thread for my next release. Even PM'd a mod to make sure it was semi-okay. Guess I should think twice about doing it then.

Last edited by VCMG (Aug 17, 2012 11:39 pm)

Curious, where would you want them to post these 'hype' threads? (If they were ever allowed) I believe it's legitimate if there's a release show or web show and it's posted in the upcoming events forum. Or if it's an artist I really enjoy.

(I know I created one a while ago, sue me.)

Last edited by Auxcide (Aug 17, 2012 11:42 pm)

Cambridge UK
e.s.c. wrote:

it doesnt help that most of the hype ones come from people who i havent heard of before and i suspect most members would say the same

Where's the Bit Shifter Hype Thread FFS?!

Auxcide wrote:

Curious, where would you want them to post these 'hype' threads?

The Graveyard.

Last edited by George (Aug 17, 2012 11:47 pm)

Tokyo, Japan

Ok, how about a compromise, a stickied "upcoming releases" thread in the releases forum where people can hype all they want and a ban on "hype" threads?

Abandoned on Fire

Unhelpful aside:
"Release" has lost all meaning as a word for me.  Lets start calling them something else:  album, record, collection, works, I dunno...

Cambridge UK

Lazerbeat, you just won one free internet and my heart.

San Diego, CA

hype should come from you having already released stuff that people liked. no one needs a thread specifically for hype; announcing that you're doing something should, if you're good enough, automatically hype people up. this place has a weird entitlement complex where all new musicians feel like they deserve just as much hype as people who've been doing this for years.

my first full-length got exactly 1 reply, and that's how it should have been.