I checked this place last year: http://amei.se/

I went to Germany and my plan was to make 300 7" copies there, but then I decided to use this money to stay longer there. Martin and the ameise crew are really great. At the time, the mastercut was 200 euro and each copy was 50 cents (that's right!).

EDIT: I found the email they sent me with the prices.

"and for all you punks out there:
the cheapest offer we have is our specialspecialmegaspecial
which is 100 x 7" incl. whitelabel (not printed) and paperbag for 300 EUR!
BUT: playing time is limited to 3mins per side...(yes no joke!)"

Last edited by PULSELOOPER (August 25, 2012 11:34 pm)

the polycut website says that,

"Our cuts are full of bass and the perfect amount of treble so what you get back from us will sound almost as good as a real pressed record, not flat or lifeless and will hold up as well as conventional records do as long as they are properly cared for."

i wonder if they'll really hold up about as well as regular vinyl.

i might try this out just to see for myself.  i wonder what they're minimum order is?  anybody know?

i sent them an email asking.

Last edited by electricloverecords (August 25, 2012 11:36 pm)

PULSELOOPER wrote:

I checked this place last year: http://amei.se/

I went to Germany and my plan was to make 300 7" copies there, but then I decided to use this money to stay longer there. Martin and the ameise crew are really great. At the time, the mastercut was 200 euro and each copy was 50 cents (that's right!).

EDIT: I found the email they sent me with the prices.

"and for all you punks out there:
the cheapest offer we have is our specialspecialmegaspecial
which is 100 x 7" incl. whitelabel (not printed) and paperbag for 300 EUR!
BUT: playing time is limited to 3mins per side...(yes no joke!)"

thanks.  it looks very promising.  i sent them an email.

electricloverecords wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

cheap low quality vinyl usually means lathe cut, which means it'll basically be un-listenable once you listen to it 5-10 times.

i'll keep that in mind.  i was once told that's how "dub plates" are.  the dub plate the guy had was a chunk of material. 

i was hoping for maybe thin vinyl or even low quality sound.  by low quality i mean you wouldn't want to listen to it loud at a club but would be fun for at home.

dub plate is basically another term for lathe cut. they're actually designed to be played out in a club just to see how the crowd reacts to a single before they do a major pressing of it.

Where in the world are you located?

electricloverecords wrote:

  to actually sell something i would want a physical object and for me that would be vinyl.

That's dandy if you know the audience will buy them but be careful to not limit yourself. If I saw a merch table full of records and cassettes I wouldn't buy a thing because I no longer have decks to play them, but a cdr can be made just as cheaply and I can play it before I even get home.

electricloverecords wrote:

does anybody know of record pressing companies that do low quality inexpensive vinyl pressing?  i used to buy punk records for cheap and id like to do the same thing with electronic music but all the places ive found were way too expensive.  any ideas?

I had a bunch of shit typed out when my cpu crashed, so I'll just say this-

More often than not, cheap price = cheap product/total incompetence from just about all sides you'll be dealing with in the process. Spend the cash on good vinyl from reputable sources.

chunter wrote:
electricloverecords wrote:

  to actually sell something i would want a physical object and for me that would be vinyl.

That's dandy if you know the audience will buy them but be careful to not limit yourself. If I saw a merch table full of records and cassettes I wouldn't buy a thing because I no longer have decks to play them, but a cdr can be made just as cheaply and I can play it before I even get home.

I've had several people tell me they purchased a deck just to listen to Radiograffiti records, so it works both ways.



Plus a framed cd looks really fucking stupid.

TSC wrote:

Plus a framed cd looks really fucking stupid.


aw god dammit

/me throws out 1000 framed copies of the next handheld heroes release

electricloverecords wrote:

how well did those "lathe cut" records hold up?

They have held up fine. It's not something I listen to daily, but they're still fine.
That said - they were very noisy and had a bit of flutter, but they were incredibly poorly mastered by me, and it was just noisy/scratchy punk rock.
They also cost a lot more (each) than if i had gotten them pressed, but I only wanted 50 made, so it was a choice I made.

chunter wrote:

I'm in agreement with the cassette guys, with a lean toward suggesting something even cheaper, like a low capacity thumbdrive or micro SD.

but it's not vinyl!

Saskrotch wrote:
TSC wrote:

Plus a framed cd looks really fucking stupid.


aw god dammit

/me throws out 1000 framed copies of the next handheld heroes release

In the event you're not being sarcastic (ha) and me not being a dick (HA) I meant a cd without cover fwiw.

Chainsaw Police wrote:

but it's not vinyl!

If your merch isn't low budget for the aim of saving money and reducing personal overhead, then you're not punk.

(Stated for the benefit of readers, I expect Chainsaw already knows....)

I wouldn't recommend going with Polycut. When I was purchasing lathes from that guy, he was going through a ton of health problems, and there were many, many people that did not (and still have not) received their orders. I managed to get my copies, but it was touch and go for a while.

Oh, and remember that Lathe cuts are (almost definitely) mono.

Last edited by Sycamore Drive (August 26, 2012 11:40 am)

TSC wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

aw god dammit

/me throws out 1000 framed copies of the next handheld heroes release

In the event you're not being sarcastic (ha) and me not being a dick (HA) I meant a cd without cover fwiw.

no it's like in movies or tv when you see a gold record in a frame, but way smaller and not gold and I JUST THREW OUT A THOUSAND OF THEM CAUSE I'M AN IDIOT

i heart saskrotch