Saskrotch wrote:

dub plate is basically another term for lathe cut. they're actually designed to be played out in a club just to see how the crowd reacts to a single before they do a major pressing of it.

okay thanks.  the one i saw was a drum and bass song put on a dub plate for playing out.

nordloef wrote:

Where in the world are you located?

im in the us.

chunter wrote:
electricloverecords wrote:

to actually sell something i would want a physical object and for me that would be vinyl.

That's dandy if you know the audience will buy them but be careful to not limit yourself. If I saw a merch table full of records and cassettes I wouldn't buy a thing because I no longer have decks to play them, but a cdr can be made just as cheaply and I can play it before I even get home.

well, my music is on my webpage for free -> electricloverecords.wordpress.com  so people can download and burn a cd if they want.. along with other artists that give their music away for free in digital format.

i would like to select some of the albums and make physical copies of them for sale in vinyl format, but right now the price is too high.

Chicago IL, USA

I wonder if you could have a company make the master and then go buy a bunch of used/worn down records for a dollar from a Goodwill or something and melt them down to press yourself. Does anyone know if people already do this?

uhajdafdfdfa

there are probably cheaper ways to buy vinyl (the material) in bulk than in the form of vinyl records? just guessing

Brunswick, GA USA
SadPanda wrote:

I wonder if you could have a company make the master and then go buy a bunch of used/worn down records for a dollar from a Goodwill or something and melt them down to press yourself. Does anyone know if people already do this?

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_fo … hp?t=35427
May be of interest...

Chicago IL, USA

hmm that makes sense, well it was just a thought. I was more interested in if you could just have companies make a master for you. I'm sure there's plenty of ways to buy vinyl, whether it's pellets or whatever like ant1 was hinting at, old records were just the first thing to come to mind.

UK

well, my music is on my webpage for free -> electricloverecords.wordpress.com  so people can download and burn a cd if they want.. along with other artists that give their music away for free in digital format.

i would like to select some of the albums and make physical copies of them for sale in vinyl format, but right now the price is too high.

maybe you should think long and hard before spending a lot of money on some shitty dubplates of music not many peoples herd of which is already available for free download.. who is your target audience? maybe experiment with CDr/tape/whatever first (if you want analog vibes go for tape and learn to mix to analog formats, which will be helpful if you do go onto vinyl)
not trying to sound pissy or anything, just don't wanna see you fuck yourself over. vinyl is really expensive nowadays because there is a bigger demand for it (coming from a lot of indie/diy labels etc) tbh, its not worth what they charge

Seattle, WA US

okay thanks.  the one i saw was a drum and bass song put on a dub plate for playing out.

Yeah traditionally its the cheap vinyl cut given out by the artist to their dj/artist friends to test out crowd reactions/build hype before the release.

These days, with digital distro being the primary way to push your tunes around and CDJs being the primary tool for playing them out at clubs, people consider the masters of unreleased tracks to be dubplates.

Its not as cool everybody start pressing dubplaetz again

SadPanda wrote:

this company has a hand drawn picture of the record making process on their front page -> http://amei.se/

it looks pretty hardcore.

▒▒▒ wrote:

maybe you should think long and hard before spending a lot of money on some shitty dubplates of music not many peoples herd of which is already available for free download.. who is your target audience? maybe experiment with CDr/tape/whatever first (if you want analog vibes go for tape and learn to mix to analog formats, which will be helpful if you do go onto vinyl)
not trying to sound pissy or anything, just don't wanna see you fuck yourself over. vinyl is really expensive nowadays because there is a bigger demand for it (coming from a lot of indie/diy labels etc) tbh, its not worth what they charge

i have, i agree.  it's just a dream.

still, if the price was right and i could make some electronic music vinyl and sell them for like 5 or 6 bucks, people might be into it.

chunter wrote:
SadPanda wrote:

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_fo … hp?t=35427
May be of interest...

that was great.

Saskrotch wrote:

i'll keep that in mind.  i was once told that's how "dub plates" are.  the dub plate the guy had was a chunk of material. 

i was hoping for maybe thin vinyl or even low quality sound.  by low quality i mean you wouldn't want to listen to it loud at a club but would be fun for at home.

dub plate is basically another term for lathe cut.

Oh whoa I didn't know they were actually the same thing! makes sense though, thanks!

Los Angeles, CA

A couple of things -

Lathe cuts on polycarbonate will supposedly last longer than dubplates. Dubplates are usually shit after 50 listens or so. Most companies who do the polycarbonate lathe cuts claim that if you take care of them they'll last as long as traditional records. Another big difference between the two is that dubplates sound as good as pressed vinyl at first, if I'm not mistaken. Anything cut on polycarbonate sounds like shit.

A shorter version of my "Welcome To Thrash City" EP was supposed to come out as a 7", and I was using Poly-Cut. The test copy sounded really muddy and I decided to abandon the concept. Depending on what you're looking for in terms of quality it might work just fine for you. I had a later project ("The Torture of Humans For The Sake of Art") that was specifically planned to be a lathe cut 7 inch and was mastered as such and everything, But by the time I contacted Poly-Cut the dude was having health problems and stopped taking orders / responding to people, This was last year so no idea if that shit is resolved or not.

ANYWAY, If you're putting out something that you don't mind having low sound quality, apparently these discs will hold up. I've done a tiny bit of research on them and never saw anything about them deteriorating at the same rate as dubplates (they're not the same thing, they're cut on different material).

UK
▒▒▒ wrote:

still, if the price was right and i could make some electronic music vinyl and sell them for like 5 or 6 bucks, people might be into it.

yes, it seems pricing alone is too much for one person.. quick thought:
select 4 artists (yourself included) from your site/label for a 4 way split (i.e one track per artist, 2 tracks per side) contact them, if they are also interested to hear/release on record format then split the cost between the 4 of you, lightens the load money wise, plus allows you to check out the quality of said records
or in a similar vain, find similar labels who are interested to go physical and team up, joint label releases split the costs, promote each other etc etc...

East Kilbride, Scotland
▒▒▒ wrote:

yes, it seems pricing alone is too much for one person.. quick thought:
select 4 artists (yourself included) from your site/label for a 4 way split (i.e one track per artist, 2 tracks per side) contact them, if they are also interested to hear/release on record format then split the cost between the 4 of you, lightens the load money wise, plus allows you to check out the quality of said records
or in a similar vain, find similar labels who are interested to go physical and team up, joint label releases split the costs, promote each other etc etc...

^ This is great advice. It really works for punk bands (I love split 7'' releases, and I've bought many over the years), and makes shifting a pressing of 200-300 pretty viable if you split it 4 ways. At 33 1/3 rpm you've got plenty of space too. You could even go wild and do a 12'' compilation release, and split the pressing 10 ways.