Toronto, Ontario, Canada

http://www.pianocade.com/

Got to play with one of these the other day, it's actually quite cool. Powerful options for making patches and a really slick interface.

Video review from Electric Playground:

http://epdaily.tv/all/type-of/features/ … pianocade/

I really like the fact the variety of purchase options and the hack-ability (it's powerful by an atmel chip and it's open source). Thoughts?

Puerto Rico

Everyone's gonna hate it for the form factor (Ew, video games).

But, that arp hold feature. Sexy. Why can't mGB do that?
Seriously though, arcade buttons can't be very comfortable...

Maine

looks interesting not sure how those buttons would feel after playing for a while though o.O

Chicago IL

this is cool you can "literally make it sound like any old arcade game" with the NES / Game Boy hardware!

Brunswick, GA USA
Website wrote:

All of the Pianocade hardware, firmware, and software is open source and designed for easy hackability. If you're really ambitious, build your own!

I'd hook it up to casio keys instead. In fact, I have a dead Moog Source...

In principle it sounds like a  mass-producible versions of the chipophone, I bet you could easily install three or four of these pianocades into an old organ.

Last edited by chunter (Aug 29, 2012 4:37 am)

Gosford, Australia
Saskrotch wrote:

this is cool you can "literally make it sound like any old arcade game" with the NES / Game Boy hardware!

it's neat, the arcade buttons would feel pretty dreadful for keyboard players though. liking the open-sauce and big ups to "the community" (whatever that means!)

anyway $325 canadian sand dollars for a unique-looking 2 octave midi keyboard & synth that also doubles as a keytar - bit pricey but it looks and sounds better than a shs-10 imo (bit cheaper than a mint shs-10 too)

i probably wouldn't buy it though lol

Last edited by Victory Road (Aug 29, 2012 5:45 am)

perth, WA

pretty decent that you can buy it without the keys or enclosure for $100

shanghai

the kit is cool.
the case w joystick and buttons is just fucking retarded.

Abandoned on Fire

15 patches of a single square wave?  That seems like a shame, maybe you can add other waveforms through the firmware or something...

Sweeeeeeden
egr wrote:

15 patches of a single square wave?  That seems like a shame, maybe you can add other waveforms through the firmware or something...

It's probably using a single digital pin of a microcontroller to output the sound. A shame indeed really, considering how easy it is to build a cheapo passive 4-8 bit DAC using only 4-8 digital output pins and a bunch of resistors. That way you can have a sawtooth or triangle or more complex waveforms pretty easily.

Los Angeles

It just looks so Canadian

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Ugh. Arcade buttons would be sooo annoying. There's so many tricks you could do with actual keys.
oh well, not like I wanted it.

Austin, Texas

On the upside, now those of us with Game Boys modded all to hell can feel less like gimmicks.

Joliette, QC, Canada
jefftheworld wrote:

Video review from Electric Playground:

http://epdaily.tv/all/type-of/features/ … pianocade/

Hey, It's Shaun !!! smile
But yeah kinda expensive....even an arduinoboy is cheaper than this !!!

Chicago IL

i feel like you could really easily change this into an informercial

"people love chiptune, but it's so hard to make!"

I stopped at the name "pianocade". No thanks.