London

Alright there,

So I write this sitting on a German intercity train from Hannover to Frankfurt, gazing out the window at the beautiful German countryside. The sun sets, the full moon rises and I ponder about what I have experienced over the last years, the last weekend, and what is to come. I'm sure people don't really give too much of a shit about what I have to say, but its the internet so I will do it anyway wink

The 8bit scene has really changed dramatically over time, we all know it and it indeed why shouldn't it be so? Although my own music style has changed, I still come from the European punk/DIY school of 8bit. We do it how we want, and fuck the industry, everyone is a superstar. I cry little when I see the stories of profit losses from the majors. People told me recently that the 8bit/micromusic time is over in Europe, and though I think they are wrong, in some way I can see what people mean by that. The large organised parties over here have become less certainly, people have moved on in their lives and tastes. But on the other hand I myself continue to play just as many gigs as ever, something which I am very grateful for.

The motivated people of the New York scene brought a very big spark with their Blip Festival and regular 8bit nights. I know from personal experience how hard it is to organise such events, especially with a not-for-profit attitude. For me, the biggest and most draining part of promoting a scene is not the excitement of playing, the creativity of writing new material, nor the technical challenge of building a tracker, but the stress and hard work of organising a night.

Since probably the 2nd Blip Festival in New York, the movement in NYC has taken over from Europe as the main driver of the 8bit scene worldwide. But this has brought changes, good and bad, in the scene. We could talk about that for some time, but theres nothing that needs to be said there now. Instead I've been wondering about what really happened to the scene in Europe.. as I mentioned a moment ago, the number of gigs I play still continues at more or less the same level. Rather than 8bit or the Electroclash parties I used to play at I find myself performing at DIY music nights, nu-raves, punk clubs, and hiphop venues. Usually the nights are in London or Germany and I find myself playing 20-30 shows a year. All this without PR, or managagement.. and I'm not the only one. Something I wake up every morning and am thankful for.

But this is the interesting thing, most people know 8bit now, and understand what it is. Few people are really amazed now by people performing on a Gameboy or mixing on two Ataris. People know that its not purely some nostalgic retro thing, and they accept it for what it is - a fun way to make music. In a way, we won that part of the battle. At the same time, the sounds of 8bit are everywhere, completely assimilated into pop culture.

This weekend I played at a rather large 8bit event in Hannover, Germany. Its certainly the largest purely 8bit night I've played at for a while, and I see other events going on in the UK - Superbyte for example. Could this be the start of a new European wave? I hope so, and I hope to be a part of it.

Certainly Blip signalled a changed in the scene from the old micromusic times, and now its ending will signal another change. I see alot of exciting music and new artists coming and I feel we more than ever have alot to say.

Part of what is missing is some kind of central organisation, but probably we are too big now for that. Micromusic, for its flaws, brought that magical element of community.. quite different from a conventional forum. I miss a really high quality platform for releasing our music. But does that idea of community even make sense any more in the context of the scene and how it is today? An open question, but everyone has a different take on what 8bit is.

What will happen in the future is hard to predict. I myself hope to see more European parties, a diversification of the platforms we use away from a certain handheld console, perhaps some new trackers and who knows, maybe some kind of chiptune-united superlabel.

Milwaukee, WI

The other day I visited micromusic for my first time in years and sort of teared up a little. I was brought back to a time when "Fuck You Management Wanker" and "Rock in 8bit" were the only two songs I played on repeat.

Not sure what that has to do with anything. I'm old.

Tokyo, Japan

The future of chipmusic is incredibly exciting for me. Blip and TCTD have left the scene but everything looks super rosey to me. Things which are going on which im excited about.

- Blip showed 4 continents of people how great a chipmusic show can be. I think it was an inspiration to thousands of musicians, organisers and fans. That is a fertile seedbed.

- Continuing development of new and exciting hardware (drag and derp, GenMDM, Various NES projects, GIMIC)

- New technologies for distribution / communication like twitter and bandcamp

- Steady progress on trackers like LGPT, Famitracker and Deflemask

- Live shows popping up all over the place.

- Old school people (om, 4mat, hunz, gusse) coming back to the fold and being fucking awesome

- new performers developing (toriena, m7kenji, cheapshot, batsly adams, o2star)

- people making money from game soundtracks!

- chip sounds reaching a wider audience through plogue

So much potential!

My wishlist for the future

- More old school sceners start performing, Elwood and Radix anyone?

- A network of bad ass independent festivals for chip music.

- Gimic gets some traction outside japan (FM chips like you wouldnt BELIEVE)

- Someone finally discovers how blindingly awesome louis G is.

- Chibitech releases an album.

- More tightly focussed chippy labels like chipflip/metrodub/telefuture

- people finally stop bickering / giving a shit about "authenticity" and "what chipmusic is".

All of which, cept the last one, seems pretty likely!

London

TCTD is a very good point, I spent some time myself on there today. Great news feed/resource, shame about that!

I like (edit: most of) the Lazerbeat vision of the future smile

Last edited by gwEm (Oct 1, 2012 3:25 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA

I disagree about Elwood but it would make my day to get to talk with him. The twin problems that blip created are that they gave the illusion of being the highest possible goal and that they made it seem so easy to do (even as much as we know it wasn't) so the challenge is to recognize that what we have is as centralized as it should be.

I've been negative about the reduction in experimentation that I personally perceive (because I keep finding reference to this newly focused stuff in my timelines) but it's actually a good thing because it means that certain parts of the music have matured. Genre focus also helps people to recognize what they don't like in order to avoid it, whatever that's worth.

Brazil
Lazerbeat wrote:

- More tightly focussed chippy labels like chipflip/metrodub/telefuture

I agree on that.

As being part of an "outside the outside axis" country, some of these changes didn't get here [yet], ie people knowing what a gameboy can do. People are still impressed with that down here.
But, nevetherless, we learned a lot with 8bp and by coming to forums (at least myself). We can do whatever the fuck we want.

Tokyo, Japan
chunter wrote:

The twin problems that blip created are that they gave the illusion of being the highest possible goal and that they made it seem so easy to do.

No disrespect but the first isn't really a problem? Maybe blip was or wasnt the ultimate goal, but blip seems to be over so people have new goals if they want like, be the best musician they can be or learn that new chip or put on their own festival. Seems like a silver enough lining to be worth mentioning?

Also putting on a chip festival isnt THAT hard, people seem to forget there was a time when the blip crew knew relatively little about chipmusic festivals and they had to make it up as they went along. Absolutely nothing to stop someone else from giving it a try!

Unsubscribe

Dont let naive enthusiasm ever die. My stopping tctd was more to do with my desire to take that energy and focus it more inwardly than any problems with the chipscene, but I can tell you it feels a lot better to get feedback for stuff you create instead of the mirror you created for other creators.

Planet Zaxxon

I feel it's definitely at a major turning point. And so far, everything I have been experiencing has been extremely positive and better than ever.  It seems to be at the point where it can grow to the next level, which I hope it does.

I feel that the people infatuated with creating lo-fi music (much like myself), and enjoy being around people with that similar interest (much like myself) will always be around.

I personally viewed Blip as a mega goal to reach, but now we just need to do other things equally as awesome. Which is completely possible.

Brazil

Blip was the pot of gold almost everyone pursued. It's a great thing that it ended, in the sense we are now free from their spell. It broke the barrier around it and now it can grow a lot more.

Planet Zaxxon

I really would love to see chiptune artists break into electronic musical festivals.  I don't see why that wouldn't be a good thing and/or work mixed in with regular electronic musicians. On the other hand, I have no idea where such festivals/events take place.. heh

Liverpool, UK

Hoping me and the Superbyte crew are going to be a more than suitable replacement for Blip Festival - Get saving your money! Manchester is good, plus even better, it's right next to Liverpool!

vancouver, canada

some predictions / wishful hopes i have:

1) the absence of Blip will spur other geographical areas to action.
i don't know about everyone else but i personally had this (admittedly myopic) idea that NYC was the mecca of the chip scene, blessed with an unnatural and unique confluence of talent and culture that couldn't happen anywhere else, and that it was somehow supposed to stay that way. 

and also, because there were a lot of pretty big events there, i felt i didn't need to have any responsibility of growing/promoting chipmusic locally or elsewhere.  but i also realized that Blip going on hiatus isn't really reflective of "chipmusic dying in a particular area" or anything - it's just the organizational engine that needed to pause and/or recuperate.

that's when i realized that in a way, the function of NYC was not to be some kind of impenetrable stronghold for chipmusic but rather as a "successful case study" in how a chip community could be cultivated elsewhere.  and i think a lot of it has to do simply with logistics -- that is, people who are dedicated in organizing chip events, seeing them through, and building on that momentum.

2) there will be a new central music sharing hub (but it won't be 8bc)
there's a need for a place that can effectively catalogue the flow of new chipmusic.  it doesn't even need to have hosting capabilities.  we need this so that we don't overlook any new + good music, but to also have a honeypot where sucky noobs can post with the impression that their stuff is being seen.

Even if 8bc does come back, it'll either serve as that noob honeypot, or it'll eventually fade into obscurity once people start figuring out wher the reputable artists look to for their music.

3) some kind of online streaming ecosystem.
we're starting to see more streaming shows which is awesome.  people will have more opportunities to share, teach and provide insight in a live format.  i think it'll add more transparency and vitality to how chipmusic is disseminated to the web.

4) people will be dissatisfied by online streaming
there'll be a point where people realize just doing streamed shows is nowhere near as fun as having a live in-person chip event.  this will further motivate the urge to set up shows.

5) the Caribbean chip scene will grow to unimaginable heights

6) a new 16-bit wave
with the rise of trackers with FM capabilities, and with GenMDM gaining maturity, we'll see a lot more of a consistent FM-based community.

7) some killer mobile app/tool that can help spur sharing and communication between chip folk (although twitter already does a pretty good job of that)

8) eventually, a more balanced media perspective on chiptune.
someone will finally make the connection that chipmusic is not "videogame music".   that someone will be Fox News LOL

Planet Zaxxon
bryface wrote:

6) a new 16-bit wave
with the rise of trackers with FM capabilities, and with GenMDM gaining maturity, we'll see a lot more of a consistent FM-based community.

LET'S DO IT KIDS

Brunswick, GA USA
Lazerbeat wrote:
chunter wrote:

The twin problems that blip created are that they gave the illusion of being the highest possible goal and that they made it seem so easy to do.

No disrespect but the first isn't really a problem? Maybe blip was or wasnt the ultimate goal, but blip seems to be over so people have new goals if they want like, be the best musician they can be or learn that new chip or put on their own festival.

Put that way I agree completely, as the latter was my intended point. You don't need a scene to make this stuff and you don't need a reason to show what you make to a friend or throw a house party or whatever.

I endorse O2's goal but I'm stuck for answers- the electronic music festivals I'm familiar with play bro step and McTrance so more power to the person who can break that.

Boston, MA
bryface wrote:

5) the Caribbean chip scene will grow to unimaginable heights

6) a new 16-bit wave

yes x2