Madison, Alabama

FYI

http://no-need-for-blognames.blogspot.com/

While this guy does post links to artists' bandcamp pages, he also posts mediafire links to downloads of releases, including ones that are not free.  (For instance, Danimal Cannon's "Roots" is on there for free.)

I don't think that's very cool.

Jersey City, NJ

HE MUST BE STOPPED

uhajdafdfdfa

I DON'T THINK HAVING A RELEASE THAT IS "NOT FREE" ON BANDCAMP IS "VERY COOL" IN THE FIRST PLACE

uhajdafdfdfa

rah rah i deserve to be paid to do my hobby that i would do anyway

Witch Hunts are always fun though!! remember LEGALSOUNDZ?  remember that girl that dexter said he was going to throw a pie at but didn't and sycamore drive tried to get expelled from university?

remember timbaland?

Chicago IL, USA

I won't get into the whole "is piracy bad" debate, but I really doubt they get all that many downloads. Just a couple kids posting music they like on a blogspot. It's a really popular thing in the metal and hardcore internet scene (there's like 5,000 of them), and I'm pretty sure that's what he started as (still does lots of nintendocore). As musicians it's expected that people will probably put your shit out there for free, but if it makes you uncomfortable (and since he uses mediafire) you could report the links and have them down that day (mediafire don't fuck around anymore, and he would get suspended from mediafire I believe). I would say leave the kids blog alone though. you could even go on facebook and message them (they have a page), and they would probably oblige. I know who one of the admins is, and he is someone active here so I won't be the one to name names, but he would probably respect you dudes' wishes if you address it appropriately.

edit: for the record, they posted some of my shit (it was already free), and I'm a nobody, and even though bandcamp tells me it was like 4 hits from there, that's 4 more than I would have gotten on my own, so that's cool.

Last edited by SadPanda (Nov 24, 2012 5:31 pm)

Boulder, CO

OMG PIRACY HITS THE CHIP SCENE AND SUDDENLY IT'S TERRIBLE!

Madison, Alabama

Hey guys, don't flip out.  All my stuff is free so it doesn't bother me.  This was more of a heads-up for those that are trying to sell their music.  They may want to send the guy an email or something.

Matthew Joseph Payne
ant1 wrote:

I love you, ant1, but not all of us consider this purely a hobby.

United States

Thank you for posting this. I just reported him for violating TOS/copyright.

Florianópolis-SC, Brasil
kineticturtle wrote:
ant1 wrote:

I love you, ant1, but not all of us consider this purely a hobby.

I'm quite new here and I'm far from a "professional" chip musician or whatever ... but is that really what our community is about anyways? I know not everyone consider this purely a hobby, but will this help the scene in any way to be known as some dudes who will start dicking around about copyright issues? For instance, I don't work with credit cards (I'm pretty scared of them), but I really wanted to have fearofdark's Motorway (which is awesome). If it wasn't for XC3N, who bought it for me as a gift, I wouldn't be able to listen to it, since my poor internet connection doesn't allow streaming. I'm surely not making myself clear, but what is better: to have someone introduced to chipmusic by listening some of our songs for free and maybe understanding our need for support and start paying for it some time in the future or that autochiptune crap? Should we go Metallica all the way?

For those who suffered from copyright infrigiment, maybe discuss with the guy, whatever, but don't start being the copyright trolls most of us hate.

Hope I didn't offend anyone on this.

TSSBAY01

sorry but this blog is sort of wack. hes got all sorts of 'no site as far as i can tell' on his descriptions, which arent very descriptive to begin with. he just isnt researching the stuff he's blogging about all that well if he is going to write that for stuff and find the webpages, but selling the artists down the line in a scene this small on releases is actually kinda counterproductive. lets take just one of his blog entries:

Nothing unique for the VGM genre, but they use some flutes - giving it a bit of their own flair. They rock, they're heavy and they cover some badass tunes - that's all you need to know.

wtf? is this really the best that could be done there?

Florianópolis-SC, Brasil
tempsoundsolutions wrote:

sorry but this blog is sort of wack. hes got all sorts of 'no site as far as i can tell' on his descriptions, which arent very descriptive to begin with. he just isnt researching the stuff he's blogging about all that well if he is going to write that for stuff and find the webpages, but selling the artists down the line in a scene this small on releases is actually kinda counterproductive. lets take just one of his blog entries:

Nothing unique for the VGM genre, but they use some flutes - giving it a bit of their own flair. They rock, they're heavy and they cover some badass tunes - that's all you need to know.

wtf? is this really the best that could be done there?

I agree with you, but still, lets talk to the guy, and not make he hate us.

buffalo, NY

I've known about it for a while.  Don't really give shit.

Madison, Alabama
vargero wrote:

I agree with you, but still, lets talk to the guy, and not make he hate us.

Yeah, he's obviously a fan of the music.  People that don't like the mediafire links for content might just be able to email him about it.

Brunswick, GA USA
danimal cannon wrote:

Don't really give shit.

I have more issues with a certain website selling free archive.org albums for $0.60

But not enough issues to call a lawyer.

Last edited by chunter (Nov 24, 2012 9:01 pm)

Abandoned on Fire
danimal cannon wrote:

I've known about it for a while.  Don't really give shit.

Mostly this.  If he posts free downloads of material from my label that the artist has put a price on I'll contact him and work things out privately.