Seems like "B" is the lowest note, and C the highest, so a B note at level 15 volume?
Is that all that can be done?
I'm aiming for a powerful orchestral hit kind of sound.

This will also be ported to the GameBoy...

uhajdafdfdfa

an orchestra hit generally plays a chord it isn't just a blast of low resolution white noise

try doing a "pitch" sweep rather than a fixed "note", that might help

Brooklon

This is a very confusing question.

Oh, I should mention I'm writing this in MML. Hope that helps clear the question up a bit

Brooklon

Ok. MML, that's good to know. But still, you are trying to create an orch hit in the noise channel? That's like asking how to get CMYK out of a #2 pencil er something. Better just sample that man. You'll end up wasting too many channels on it.

Maybe orch hit was a bad term. I was just asking about the most powerful kind of percussion hit that is possible to pull off. I'm not looking to actually emulate an orch hit sound, just a deep, hard percussion.

Chicago IL

Yeah definitely sample. Otherwise best case scenario is that you will be the only person that think it sounds like an orchestra hit.

Reading about the Pitch Sweep here http://nesdev.com/mckc-e.txt
But the function doesn't seem to work in www.mmlshare.com
I get the error: "Unuse command in this track"
Is this just a glitch in this program, or am I not using this command right?

From what I gather you would set it like this:  "s(9,15)"

Here's what the article says:

* Pitch Sweep
          s[speed],[depth] (0,0)
               Pitch Sweep, similar to the pitch envelope. The range for [speed]
               appears to only function in the range of 9 ~ 15, where a higher
               value will effect a more subtle change every frame, and the range
               of [depth] appears to function according to this chart:

|1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 11 12 13 14 15|
                   |drastic<--->slight->/^\<-slight<---->drastic|
                   |       DOWN         OFF          UP         |

Here the closer to the ends of the spectrum, the more drastic the
               pitch change is, and if the value is 8, nothing happens.

uhajdafdfdfa

maybe he means timpani

I also want to re-iterate that I'm aiming to port this to GameBoy, and thus don't think I can use samples. I've only go the A, B, and D channels on GB

Brooklon

Don't know about MML but the gameboy hardware can use one channel for limited sample playback.

Also

Here's the track I'm working on:  http://www.mmlshare.com/tracks/view/368

It's the select screen music for Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3

Note-wise, it's pretty accurate. But I'd really like to get Channel B to sound more like a synth voice "oohhhh, uuuhhhhh" that alternates between a semitone. And I'd like the drums to have more punch to them.
Here's the original song from the Arcade version:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_ee8HIo1Wk

Godzilladelph

turn your big loud thumpy percussion up to almost maximum volume and turn EVERYTHING else down a bit

you can crank the master volume up, post production, with mml, i'm assuming?

Chicago IL
SKGB wrote:

turn your big loud thumpy percussion up to almost maximum volume and turn EVERYTHING else down a bit

you can crank the master volume up, post production, with mml, i'm assuming?

i dunno about that, but it's really easy to alter volume macros by putting +/-X after the numbers in brackets.

Last edited by Saskrotch (Nov 27, 2012 6:44 am)