São Paulo, Brazil

Hey folks:

I have a GBA with a nanoloop 2.5.5 cart. I have a link cable. I have a macbook running ableton live and I have this: http://nanoloop.com/midi/index.html

Somehow, can't get nano to receive midi data from Ableton (everything is setup correctly on Ableton). I set nano to receive synch data (A+B), but nothing happens when I playback anything on Ableton.

Any tips on that?

Make sure the Gameboy link cable isn't plugged in upside down, I had issues syncing LSDJ with a similar adapter because I simply plugged the link cable in wrong.

Los Angeles

That ^ and did you run the Nl midi software on the mac to set it to sync?

São Paulo, Brazil
dasid wrote:

That ^ and did you run the Nl midi software on the mac to set it to sync?

I thought there was a software only for backing up/dumping Nanoloop data. What midi software is that?

Los Angeles

It's the same command prompt program as the data send/receive, you just give it the command line "nlmidi04 -sync", and you should be good to go.

Los Angeles

Oops double post

Last edited by dasid (Dec 2, 2012 4:31 pm)

São Paulo, Brazil

Damn. Terminal gives me a "command not found" when I try to give the nlmidi02 command. But I gave a ls command and the file is there inside the folder.

Los Angeles

I'm on PC so not sure for Mac but I know there are threads here with Oliver's input that may help

São Paulo, Brazil

Ok, I'll look for that. In the meanwhile, that software means there is no way to control Nanoloop through this midi adapter, running any other device as midi master other than the PC, right?

thanks for your help!

Last edited by PULSELOOPER (Dec 2, 2012 4:42 pm)

dasid wrote:

It's the same command prompt program as the data send/receive, you just give it the command line "nlmidi04 -sync", and you should be good to go.

PULSELOOPER wrote:

Damn. Terminal gives me a "command not found" when I try to give the nlmidi02 command.

Did you mistype the number in the terminal, or in your reply?

São Paulo, Brazil
thebitman wrote:
dasid wrote:

PULSELOOPER wrote:

Damn. Terminal gives me a "command not found" when I try to give the nlmidi02 command.

Did you mistype the number in the terminal, or in your reply?

Nope, the file in the folder is nlmidi02.

Freiburg, Germany

on the mac (or any unix based sytem) to execute a file in the current directory you have to prefix ./ so the command should start with ./nlmidi02

São Paulo, Brazil
lastfuture wrote:

on the mac (or any unix based sytem) to execute a file in the current directory you have to prefix ./ so the command should start with ./nlmidi02

IT WORKED! Thanks a lot folks!

São Paulo, Brazil

But indeed, there is no way to control it thru another device other than the PC. It's sad. sad

Freiburg, Germany

with the USB MIDI adapter you're limited pretty much to devices that can act as a USB host (mostly computers), yes ... however search for "arduinoboy", a device that lets you connect any MIDI source and translates it to the same messages. (In fact the arduinoboy was the inspiration for the USB MIDI adapter).
You can build it yourself, try to find readily built ones (good luck) or find somebody here who'd be willing to build one for you.

PULSELOOPER wrote:

that software means there is no way to control Nanoloop through this midi adapter, running any other device as midi master other than the PC, right?

You can set the adaptor to sync mode with ./nlmidi02 -SYNC (note the CAPS) so that sync mode remains when the adaptor is removed. You should then be able to use it with any USB-MIDI host.
However, in most cases, that will be a PC. USB with its host/client architecture is a PC technology.

Of course you can sync it to an other device through the PC. I haven't tried sync yet, but I could for example play mGB with a USB-MIDI keyboard attached to the PC.

If there is some demand, I can try to make a real MIDI-adaptor with the same functionality as the USB version.

Last edited by oliver (Dec 3, 2012 7:30 pm)