is it 1 bit music if i only use 1 track on lsdj?

buffalo, NY

nah, you have too much volume bit depth, meaning you can actually achieve different volumes.

danimal cannon wrote:

nah, you have too much volume bit depth, meaning you can actually achieve different volumes.

haha. that makes sense. thanks!

kansas city

maybe this is old news to you, but im still fascinated.
http://www.1bitsymphony.com/

Czech republic

I wish there was 1-bit tracker for gameboy.
I hope nitro might give it a go wink

Murcia, Spain
ashimoke wrote:

I wish there was 1-bit tracker for gameboy.
I hope nitro might give it a go wink

Would be really really nice

ohio gozaimasu

If you only use one volume, it's technically one bit (at least I think so). I suppose your safest bet would be to choose a volume of two to the whatever power, but I'm not entirely sure

Last edited by Cooshinator (Dec 30, 2012 4:32 pm)

São Paulo, Brazil
Cooshinator wrote:

If you only use one volume, it's technically one bit (at least I think so). I suppose your safest bet would be to choose a volume of two to the whatever power, but I'm not entirely sure

This would be a waste of DMG power. Why not use beepola or shiru's engine for the zx spectrum? That would be true 1-bit music.

PULSELOOPER wrote:
Cooshinator wrote:

This would be a waste of DMG power. Why not use beepola or shiru's engine for the zx spectrum? That would be true 1-bit music.

well of course, but i was just curious. and i don't have a speccy (YET!) plus, who knows? might be a fun niche.

Abandoned on Fire

A multichannel 1bit tracker for gameboy would be really cool!

philly

i think that none of you are realizing what defines "x-bit"... if so called "8-bit" music is generated on a device w/ an 8-bit processor... then 1-bit music would require a device with a 1-bit processor - and the gameboy doesnt have one

Last edited by alex_mauer (Dec 30, 2012 8:40 pm)

Abandoned on Fire

Not true, 1 bit is the resolution of the output which on zx etc was a beeper but the processor was 8 bit.  You can force the output of a gb to be 1 bit with software mixing.

Buenos Aires, Argentina

So, the GameBoy is a 8bit or 16bit sound machine?
8 bits CPU but 16 volume values for each channel.

Abandoned on Fire

GB is an 8 bit powered machine that outputs sound at bit depth 16.

EDIT:  I'm just going to make these sweeping statements with full confidence until someone who actually knows what they're talking about comes along.  tongue

Last edited by egr (Dec 30, 2012 8:58 pm)

ohio gozaimasu
Delek wrote:

So, the GameBoy is a 8bit or 16bit sound machine?
8 bits CPU but 16 volume values for each channel.

I believe it's a 4-bit machine; 2^4 = 16 levels

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Yeah my bad, 16 volumes for each channel and 4bit depth.

So we are calling 8bit music because of the CPU and after calling 1bit music because of the bit depth. This is amazing. SEGA Genesis should be called 14bits music then. tongue