New Albany Indiana

Please im just trying to get some thoughts here. Lately ive noticed that some old figures in the chip community have disowned this website and have said they want nothing to do with it, some people have just quit all together.  This makes me sad, because the main thing that drew me to the community was the people involved in it. I know there's a trend lately were i get "warnings" and "Temp bans" but please, just hear me out. I haven't been evolved on this website for awhile, but ive been active for the last 2 years, talking to artist in my free time, like STereoChan and the artist from 2010+  scene, when i asked them, they all say that there is a "cancer" in the chip scene that draws them away from places like this.

Thought provoking questions:
Where do you feel the community is heading as a collective whole?
What do you think of cm.o?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I won't make comments on any specific community, each one has their own ideals and social structures and I think a variety of beliefs is valid. I'm glad there are communities that cater to different needs.

However, I have seen a trend in which the more light-hearted members of our communities have been shying away from public forums.  There seems to be this movement towards taking chipmusic very seriously and while I totally accept the validity of doing so, I'm not a fan of forcing that on others.  Many people are just big fans of making music and they have fun with it, forcing them to go "all in" or else stop calling themselves chiptune musicians is just super lame.

I've had people that have gotten upset at me not because my music is too mainstream but because I used a soundchip they've grown tired of.  Heck, I don't do it but I don't see anything wrong with people who want to make mainstream music.  A lot of people in the chiptune community are upset too easily by what other people are creating.

Chiptune music has been around for a very long time and it's not going anywhere soon. No matter how much tasteless, shitty music people make, you'll still be able to make your own music.  I just wish people would embrace the similarities between us and come together as a loving community again and just accept that we represent a very wide variety of aesthetic tastes.

Tacoma WA

old figures like demo scene old or like 8bp old or 8bc old or CM old?

old is really relative so i'm not sure what frame of reference you are working off of here.

as far as the site goes we have tried pretty hard to be open about where the boundaries lie and what we will allow and not allow. 
we however do have rules and do have to feel that it is in the communities best interest that we enforce, albeit lightly and with a fair
amount of discussion on the back end.

vancouver, canada

although i feel your questions are kinda trolley and presume quite a bit about the chip scene, i'll tell you what _i_ see from my subjective point of view and hopefully that might offer a bit more of a rounded perspective.

my theory is that many of the older veterans tend to be people who have a cerebral interest in chipmusic as an artform, and they have no time or interest in educating/cultivating/coddling the wave of newer folks who may not be coming in with a similar respect and reverence for the artform.  i think what you're seeing is the manifestation of this frustration.

this is not new, btw; this conflict has existed for as long as a few years back when at some point the chip community collectively accepted that if you obtained a DMG and excreted an uncey track out of your bunghole, that meant that you now "know" chiptune and are automatically a chip artist worth listening to.

i personally identify as being in the "chipmusic as an artform" camp and i feel that frustration too.  as much as i would like the scene to be as open as possible to newer people, i also feel that the sea of dime-a-dozen snoozer chip tracks undermines the hard work and effort of those who thoughtfully approach the craft and seek to create works that endure the test of time and the critical ear. 

cm.org also used to be more of a place for focused discussion on the advancement of chipmusic, and relatively free from the hordes of noobs wanting to know how to make a chip musics, before 8bc went kaput for good.  you can understand the disdain when you consider the increased number of dumb questions and topics that have popped up around here lately, by people who don't know any better.

nowadays there seem to be fewer mechanisms for sorting out the gems from the crap.  on 8bc, the likes and comments system was a reasonable (though still imperfect) metric that allowed people to easily get a sense of which music was good.  i think that netlabels are the primary mechanism for that now, but i don't think that's enough. 

there needs to be more trusted curators, more recommendations from trusted artists, and more of a catalogue for finding good chipmusic - otherwise it's harder for the veterans to bother fishing around for stuff by newer artists.

so no, the chip scene isn't dying or anything.  but i would say it's in flux, particularly in the area of online spaces.  the idea of a "central hub" doesn't really exist right now, i don't know if it will (or should) exist again, but if there ends up being one again that most of the other substituent chip communities can get behind, then chipfolk will find themselves enjoying a new period of stability.

Tokyo, Japan
Bit wish wrote:

I know there's a trend lately were i get "warnings" and "Temp bans" but please, just hear me out.

You don't get bans or warnings from the moderation team because of some mysterious shift in the Chipmusic ecosystem or a tremor in the force, you get them because you are breaking the rules and / or being a problem for the moderation team. People have been joining and leaving scenes for years and they will continue to do so.

If you don't like cm.o nobody is forcing you to stay here, however, If you want to hang around and join the fun with everyone else then listen to the warnings you are given be the mods, read the rules and enjoy the tunes!

shanghai

this guy.jeez

Make music, not drama.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
bryface wrote:

...there needs to be more trusted curators, more recommendations from trusted artists, and more of a catalogue for finding good chipmusic...

I think that's actually an awesome idea.  It'd be great if one of the chiptune community sites added the ability for users to curate playlists.  People could easily find playlists from trusted sources or people with similar tastes. More than a 'favourites' list, this would allow people to create themed playlists which would do a lot to help cross-promote deserving music.  When you listen to a track you'd see all the playlists that the song was a part of, so you could easily find more tracks of similar style/quality.

I strongly agree that chipmusic is an art form.  I listen almost exclusively to chiptune and Amiga/DOS music and I get sick nerd chills when I hear the PC Speaker rendering of the Monkey Island theme.  If chipmusic was a religion, I'd be living as close to chipmecca as possible.  That being said, I don't see anything wrong with people enjoying and having fun with chip music.  I don't think chip music has to be a dark, contemplative thing.  'Chiptune' isn't a genre, it's a very wide set of aesthetics and I think that it's great when people do a wide variety of stuff.

I personally like a lot of the musicians who I consider to be too anal about this distinction.  I love and respect the music that they make because I enjoy all sorts of styles and genres.  I'll admit that some of the overly "uncey" stuff can be annoying, but there are also plenty of chip musicians who make dance music that are bringing a lot more to the table than just four-to-the-floor and deep bass.

I'm fine with people telling me my music is shitty or that they don't like it, but it's annoying to hear that I'm not a real fan of chiptune music.  I can fully accept that people have different taste in music and it doesn't hurt me at all to hear that my own music doesn't resonate with you, but when you make it sound like you know the 'true meaning of chip music' and I'm just some unworthy pleb, it just makes you look silly.   I love you guys, but some open-mindedness and positivity would be nice once in a while.  Just stick with "I don't like it."

TL;DR:  I am extremely passionate about chip music and I'm tired of people telling me how I should be enjoying it.

Tokyo, Japan
bryface wrote:

so no, the chip scene isn't dying or anything.  but i would say it's in flux, particularly in the area of online spaces.

Yeah it has been a fairly turbulent couple of years chipmusic wise. The rise of Pause and Ubiktune, (each about 20 releases a year) 8bit peoples and a lot of the smaller chip music labels have gone pretty much dormant. Micromusic, Lobitplayground, Blipfestival all ended for various reasons. But as I have mentioned before, I think flux is healthy and awesome!

Tokyo, Japan
jefftheworld wrote:
bryface wrote:

...there needs to be more trusted curators, more recommendations from trusted artists, and more of a catalogue for finding good chipmusic...

I think that's actually an awesome idea.

This is defacto possible now. If you wanted to start a rotating monthly curated "best of cm.o" thread linking your favorite tunes for a month then passing on to another user for the following month I would totally listen.

Murcia, Spain
Lazerbeat wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

I think that's actually an awesome idea.

This is defacto possible now. If you wanted to start a rotating monthly curated "best of cm.o" thread linking your favorite tunes for a month then passing on to another user for the following month I would totally listen.

Would it be difficult to implement a "Recommmended artist list" to all of our Profiles or something like that?

Tokyo, Japan

you can do that already:

"profile" -> "Description" -> enter up to 5000 characters of text with BBcode of artists you like and why.

Murcia, Spain

Well... yeah, but make everyone do that themselves... xD

Tokyo, Japan

Heh, therin lies a trick.

Murcia, Spain
Lazerbeat wrote:

Heh, therin lies a trick.

Let's make a contest or something to encourage this practice! xD

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yeah! Starting a thread for it is actually a really good idea!  I'd still really love to see it as a more fleshed-out feature of the site, but getting a thread started is a really good way to get the ball rolling!

I'll have to go through and listen to a bunch of stuff and really think about it, there are a lot of artists/songs that I think are amazing that don't get the credit they deserve.  I think what I might do is pick 7 songs, one for each day of the week, and then let another curator step in to do the next 7 and so on.