chiptunes = WIN DONT YOU FUCKING KNOW BY NOW

Gosford, Australia

lol internet

chip community is awesome
unce is awesome, eclectic and progressive noodling is awesome, thrashy trashy ____core is awesome
go to a show (a real one not a webshow) and everyone is chill and open-minded as fuck and also awesome

Nottingham, UK

But more seriously.

I wrote a whole chunk about how older members getting tired of seeing the same things is a natural part of all niche community's but actually the discussion on curation is a really good point.

Where do people who come into chipmusic for the first time gain their idea of what chipmusic is? For the most part I would say, Youtube. Youtube is actually the most common place for people to listen to music these days. And chip on youtube is almost entirely weird dregs from the 2009 scene and bad, novelty 8bit covers using midi files.

A good way to start remedying this would be a consistent, well maintained blog. It'd need to look nice and be a generally attractive source of info for new comers and older users alike. Remember how excited everyone was by Megabeep? It was because Megabeep seemed at the time to be the thing that would fill this gap. For that short month or so, it actually had a cool thing going on.

Any way, I think it would be great if there was a place that showcased the best chipmusic like that, and provided insightful info about people's techniques and processes. If you take a look at the chiptune reddit, for the most part it's powered by the lowest common denominator. I think that kind of downward spiral happens when you don't have an informed curator seeking the most interesting music and coolest info.

Or something. I dunno. I think giving new comers something to aim for would raise the bar.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Jan 20, 2013 7:45 pm)

you should make a chart with just for a broken earth on it and just make it red thx

Nottingham, UK
token wrote:

you should make a chart with just for a broken earth on it and just make it red thx

It's a joke.

I'm beginning to understand Zan Zan.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Jan 20, 2013 1:47 pm)

IL, US

its great that you think we even have the ablity to force people to make music the way we'd prefer, but lets be fair: someone not being interested in/being dismissive of work they arent interested in hearing is in no way forcing anyone to do anything... my music has never been very popular within this scene, and ive taken some shit for it off people, but since its the music i want to make i dont let their difference in taste/opinion effect my writing...the difference seems to be (as pointed out earlier) that at some point the scene transitioned from people coming in expecting little to no attention for their work (hell even 8bc had fewer than 600 members in 2007, including inactive accounts, so who was listening) to people who enter with somewhat inflated expectations based on having seen what this scene can be at its largest and grandest scale... sometimes this results in people feeling excluded and like some mysterious "elite" part of the scene is holding them back...

New Albany Indiana
Lazerbeat wrote:
Bit wish wrote:

I know there's a trend lately were i get "warnings" and "Temp bans" but please, just hear me out.

You don't get bans or warnings from the moderation team because of some mysterious shift in the Chipmusic ecosystem or a tremor in the force, you get them because you are breaking the rules and / or being a problem for the moderation team. People have been joining and leaving scenes for years and they will continue to do so.

If you don't like cm.o nobody is forcing you to stay here, however, If you want to hang around and join the fun with everyone else then listen to the warnings you are given be the mods, read the rules and enjoy the tunes!

Last time i check it was e.s.c's job to give me eco-music science.

I just feel like the community is up tight and, what jeff the world said, negative.

On my last release i had people tell me that my music was a "bunch of shit on top of zef sounds". Thats hardly cc. I would just hate for some one new to get on here and post something and get that response, makes us look like a bunch of "know it alls" and dick heads.

I think it would be an awesome idea to start posting some newer videos of our music on youtube with the tags of the first page stuff so people can see some new stuff.

Last edited by Bit wish (Jan 20, 2013 4:16 pm)

IL, US

the "environmental" in my name isn't about ecology & saving the planet, its a reference to your surroundings in general... so the whole name is more or less a way of saying "the sound of everything falling apart around you"

New Albany Indiana
e.s.c. wrote:

the "environmental" in my name isn't about ecology & saving the planet, its a reference to your surroundings in general... so the whole name is more or less a way of saying "the sound of everything falling apart around you"

yea its a joke,.. i thought it was pretty clever.

Nottingham, UK
Bit wish wrote:

I think it would be an awesome idea to start posting some newer videos of our music on youtube with the tags of the first page stuff so people can see some new stuff.

This is a positive, simple and forward thinking approach to getting a more varied idea of chip music into non-hardcore folk's brains.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Jan 20, 2013 4:43 pm)

Joliette, QC, Canada
Victory Road wrote:

go to a show (a real one not a webshow) and everyone is chill and open-minded as fuck and also awesome

Agree with you on this one !
btw it's funny to see some people throwing these kind of thread every couple of months !
The scene is changing oftenly (need to follow the internets technology which is moving fast as fu...) besides this, the scene actually remains the same !
new people comming up in the scene and people quitting it is actually really constant...so you're better to deal with it (even if it's sad sometimes...)

Sweden

On my last release i had people tell me that my music was a "bunch of shit on top of zef sounds". Thats hardly cc. I would just hate for some one new to get on here and post something and get that response, makes us look like a bunch of "know it alls" and dick heads.

If you want constructive criticism, ask people who you trust to give you an honest answer. I'm afraid that if someone thinks that about your music, they're entitled to that opinion and you have given them the means to express it to you by publishing it publicly on a site that encourages comments.

If noobs get those kinds of comments and recognise them not as individual attitudes and opinions, but as the consensus of the community, there isn't a lot the community as a whole can do about it.

Abandoned on Fire

Not everyone has to be an artist and negative reinforcement IS helpful.  If you cant take the heat get out of the cm.o more or less.  This site fills an impotant role where a higher level of understanding and involvement is "rewarded" while most silliness and spoonfeeding is discouraged and mocked.

The chipscene is just fine and dandy and growing all the time.  cm.o =/= chipscene and thats the way it should be.  heart

matt's mind

there is a big difference between internet people, and real people.

chip people in the for-real are pretty spectacular. 

the internet is always pretty disappointing if you're looking for manners.  or for anything with some real world expectation like that.

i guess at least we aren't all just yes-men.  as far as criticism goes, being negative seems like a pretty good approach.  if its constructive after all.  rewarding people positively all the time results in a world of fatties (no offense anyone, i've dun-lopped myself)

Finland

Its state of the scene talk time again!

Finland
kitsch wrote:

i guess at least we aren't all just yes-men.  as far as criticism goes, being negative seems like a pretty good approach.  if its constructive after all.  rewarding people positively all the time results in a world of fatties (no offense anyone, i've dun-lopped myself)

This. On all parts.

However, I dont follow stuff here that much anymore and only kinda comment releases I really like. But yeah people grow up, their music changes etc. Theres more variety to chip music now than ever before I think. It creates microcommunities inside communities. Thats how it goes.