Medina, Ohio

I don't recall of that..

UK
dsv101 wrote:

I am thinking about releasing my Album on cassette and I have a dual cassette deck with dubbing capabilities. Just wondering if it is worth it, and where i can buy Bulk tapes WITH cases, it seems as if i can only find bulk without cases and i want to print out album art with them. Anyone have any opinions on this?

I'm pretty sure Timeheater or k9d did this some time ago. I seem to recall companies offering this service but it was relatively expensive. Hard to remember for certain, though.

Godzilladelph
zerolanding wrote:

you want something neato? Make your first copy, than dub it over an old thrift shop mix tape, one that has labels on labels if you can. The sounds will get kinda washy and warbly. This his will be heavier and you may get some of the old sound "leaking." That beat up tape can add some charm and dub the rest from that copy. Or you can hook the tunes to an amp in a bathroom or hallway and record it to cassette with a cheap mic, make it grungy with natural reverb. do a couple of experiments and see what you like.

that's exactly why i love making cassettes from used tapes wink

hardcore, Australia
an0va wrote:

Thanks! smile

ALSO, wasn't there a chip cassette netlabel going on at some point?

Battery powered records or battery powered music was One of them.

Sorry, I'm late to this conversation but... TAPES YES!!  When done right (or even wrong for that matter - intentionally or not) it does such a justice to the sound.  There's definitely a loss in the sense of "the moment" when playing back digital files that were recorded digitally.  This effect is obviously exponential when talking about chip music.  I mean, a lot of us were introduced to this kind of music as it was coming out of some crap built-in mono TV set.  AM I RIGHT!?  Now I'm all jazzed up!  There was a release in the last year or so on bandcamp that featured a cassette modded with an mp3 player inside.  You could listen to it as a cassette but it also had a headphone and usb jack and came with the album of the group pre-loaded.  By the time I found out they were totally sold out.  Check it out.

I got the cassettes, cases and inserts for The Wave printed from A to Z Audio.org.  They have a bunch of options for bulk and short run tapes - stuff like tape color/foil, length, label printing, on-tape printing.  You can also just order blanks from them for a good price.  I know the website is funky, but from my experience they're totally dependable.

Sweden

You can get those MP3 player/audio cassette combos from dealextreme. Speaking of which, those cassettes with a line in cable are good for turning old cassette players into cheap overdrives/equalizers/MEGA BASS things.

boomlinde wrote:

You can get those MP3 player/audio cassette combos from dealextreme. Speaking of which, those cassettes with a line in cable are good for turning old cassette players into cheap overdrives/equalizers/MEGA BASS things.

Oh yes, the car stereo adapter cassette. I have one right here, along with a very old Walkman tape player. Now all I need is some tracks to process through it.

Nice.  What's the process like with those adapters?  There's no actual tape, so it's just a stationary magnetized strip, right?  I wonder if that holds onto that "tape sound" or if it just functions like running out of a board as 1/4" the and back in with an XLR adapter.

Sweden
subPixel wrote:

Nice.  What's the process like with those adapters?  There's no actual tape, so it's just a stationary magnetized strip, right?  I wonder if that holds onto that "tape sound" or if it just functions like running out of a board as 1/4" the and back in with an XLR adapter.

Well, you won't get any fluttering or tape wear effects out of it, but it will be quite noisy, and you'll get some interesting distortion if you push the gain a bit. I'd say that it won't replace bouncing to tape if you are into that particular sound, but it is a good way to add some lo-fi color.

CHIPTUNE

I made a cassette release before it was hip! Or uuh, after it was hip? Or...but... well, it was in 2000 anyway.

Sydney, NSW
subPixel wrote:

I got the cassettes, cases and inserts for The Wave printed from A to Z Audio.org.  They have a bunch of options for bulk and short run tapes - stuff like tape color/foil, length, label printing, on-tape printing.  You can also just order blanks from them for a good price.  I know the website is funky, but from my experience they're totally dependable.

Man that site's confusing... I wanna order from them but I have no idea what to order...!

East Kilbride, Scotland

Matthew Joseph Payne

It would probably not be financially impossible to provide a player with every cassette sold. Carrying your merch around would be the hardest part.

Last edited by Zomvor (Apr 2, 2016 2:23 pm)

boomlinde wrote:

Well, you won't get any fluttering or tape wear effects out of it, but it will be quite noisy, and you'll get some interesting distortion if you push the gain a bit. I'd say that it won't replace bouncing to tape if you are into that particular sound, but it is a good way to add some lo-fi color.

Yea, that pitch warble is where all the magic/destructo happens. Mmmm tape...

Chainsaw Police wrote:

Man that site's confusing... I wanna order from them but I have no idea what to order...!

You're right, it totally is.   They're pretty friendly and knowledgeable on the phone though.  I hear National Audio Company is also pretty sweet.  They just have a longer turnaround

Global Operator

My EP elements was originally recorded on cassette tape:
http://ubiktune.org/releases/ubi005-stu-elements
It was done as a first experiment and without a very professional approach, back then I wasn't too satisfied...

For another project i had a Revox G36 tube stereo tape recorder from 1969, that i still want to fix for that purpose.

Between 2004 and 5 i released 3 chiputune mixtapes with homebrew music, which were designed for 60 minute casette tape.
It sounded good, so far only about 5 of them made it to the local record store, but i believe there were some bootlegs around too smile