matt's mind

there really isn't such a thing as a limited run of a structural change with injection molding...  it'd require a new mold outright.

but, i'm listening.  for the future.  to be quite honest, there is another pretty huge project happening which is for sure the priority.  i do write all this stuff down though in a notebook, so its good to get the comments on this. 

no shutting up, i appreciate the feedback wink  as long as its constructive and not piss-potish, i love it.

and thanks everyone for it.  please come by the blipfest booth, get hands-on with one, and tell me your thoughts!

oh, re: the insides of the case, in some areas things couldn't be changed because a lot of what is inside is required the way the case is built, or they are the stand-offs for the PCB.  squaring off the corner is the biggest internal structural change obviously, the actual dimensions of the case are sort of restricted because the PCB, unless you created breakouts for the various thumbwheels, link port, power switch, etc...  which is ridiculous and starts the snowball.  you could balloon out the bottom area around the batteries, similar to the shape of a mega duck/cougar boy, but when i sketched it out it looked very, very bad.

Louisiana

I think the main thing people are excited about is the possibility of separate left and right audio outs being easier to install and looking nicer externally. I know that's one of the things in excited about.

Edit: a picture of the inside of the case would be cool to see so we can start getting ideas of what we can do with the space. And see how much extra space there really is.

Last edited by Vex (May 3, 2012 12:23 am)

Unsubscribe

Is it possible to stick batteries in the areas that people normally stick aboys and whatnot? Then you could use the entire battery compartment.

Gosford, Australia

oh yeah then you could run a version that envelope filter mod without an adaptor, which would be RAD.

matt's mind
Victory Road wrote:

oh yeah then you could run a version that envelope filter mod without an adaptor, which would be RAD.

not quite, the pots and pushbuttons for that kit stick out the sides.  takes up the whole battery compartment, and sticks out from there (drilled through)

i do know adding 1/4" jacks are going to be pretty straightforward though.  the power supply PCB is still in the way on that left side, but with a little relocation you've got two totally open (and squared off) ends.  the curved corner on the original cases was really the main stone in my shoe.  it looked nice in the design, i just constantly found myself needing that little bit of space.

i think you'll still have the same issue with the envelope filter though, regardless of if batteries could fit in those spaces.  with the pots and buttons sticking through, not much can fit really.

Czech republic

well, not really, only the buttons are in the way and relocation should not be big deal. You might be even able to find vertical mounted pcb push buttons with the same pad location to directly solder them in place of the original ones.

Abandoned on Fire

If you did that wouldn't you have to completely open up the gameboy just to change batteries?

EDIT:  Unless you used rechargeables and somehow also fit a charger in there...

Last edited by egr (May 3, 2012 4:17 pm)

Czech republic
egr wrote:

If you did that wouldn't you have to completely open up the gameboy just to change batteries?

EDIT:  Unless you used rechargeables and somehow also fit a charger in there...

Or external charger. Just like Bibin did for his pockets (it was GBA-SP battery)

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

big_smile

Last edited by xero (May 3, 2012 4:49 pm)

matt's mind

to everyone who has ordered in the past few days and hasn't gotten a shipment notice...

and to everyone who's emailed without a reply in the last couple days.

going through a bit of a personal dilemma thats meant i've been away from KB stuff.  i'm extremely sorry about the delay.  if its made you mad to the point of a refund, thats totally fine by me.  its not my style to take this long. 

with that being said, hopefully today i can get everything sent out.  it'll be today or tomorrow.

again, my apologies, its just me holding down the fort here these days and...  well, ya know.

matt's mind

POST-BLIP SHIPPING HAS RESUMED!

got entirely caught up late last night.  took all day, but its done.   thanks everybody for their patience...

Louisiana

Friend of mine bought one of you awesome new cases at blip for me. Can't wait to get my hands on it!!

Cleveland, OH

Oh, they're awesome alright!

Unsubscribe

ha! its very eastern European knockoff style.

clovis CA

dude i want sooooo fuxing bad =,,[

Abandoned on Fire

Those cases are hot especially with the matching buttons and cyan (?) backlight.  That one made me think of a super chilled out futuristic version of this: