Sweden
DJ Turac wrote:

We almost certainly will not be selling this, and we are making the game entirely with freeware or programs that people already own, so if we hired someone to do the soundtrack, we would be running at a loss.
The offer still stands.

"Almost certainly" surely won't cut it if you want to strike a deal with anyone with even a just tiny bit of dignity. If you don't like the risk of paying up front, there's the option to offer a small part of what you might earn as royalties. Just ask yourself who'll be running at a loss if you aren't, and then try to figure out what kind of desperate artist would pick up on this kind of deal.

From what I can tell from this thread, you don't have any real plans for the game and you probably don't have the ambition to make something really good out of it. Now, I'm being quite blunt, and I don't know if I'm right, but my point is that to get an artist interested you have to offer something in return, even if it's a freeware project and can't pay for whatever reason. I think a few decent artists would happily offer free help for a freeware game if you had a promising idea or some cool looking screenshots. Get your shit together, then talk business wink

Last edited by boomlinde (May 3, 2012 10:07 pm)

Melbourne, Australia

I am overjoyed by the responses in this thread. You guys are awesome.

.FILTHadelphia

After a little internet detective work...

Google: TSHASUDFDMO4RE
Result (only): chipmusic.org/forums/topic/6973/i-need-chiptune-for-a-video-game/

Google: The Super hack-and-slash ultra-dragon fighter deluxe mania omega 4 revised edition
Result (first and only related): chipmusic.org/forums/topic/6973/i-need-chiptune-for-a-video-game/

DJ Turac...

Google: DJ Turac
Result:

Ok. This may not be you but yea I'm calling bullshit, Ace.

TSSBAY01

agent ssh you are not

Scotland

It's a common problem I've seen with people interested in Game Design. Or, should I say, people who *think* they're interested in game design.

Dream: I want to play videogames all the time, I have a *really* good concept for a game and I think I can walk into a game studio and they'll love it so much (I don't have experience programming, but they have people that can do that) but I'm sure they'll love my idea! It's about a squirrel called Squirt who can ride on a skateboard and his weapon is nuts that he collects throughout the level - at the end of the level he fights an animal (i.e. a fox, a badger) for some reason and then the company makes loads of money! Yay! Everyone should be as excited about my game as I am. Note: I do not have ANY concept art, nor do I know how to obtain this, I haven't displayed ANY knowledge in level design and I haven't given ANY reason why ANYONE should be interested in this idea.

Reality: I get to work 9 hours a day refining the healthbar dynamics in a game I hate about some fucking squirrel from some shiteass CGI film that some dumbtit company bought the rights to. I drink heavily to dull the pain of a meaningless existence. I don't have time for a social life, never mind time to play videogames. Which I now hate.

defiantsystems wrote:

After a little internet detective work...

Google: TSHASUDFDMO4RE
Result (only): chipmusic.org/forums/topic/6973/i-need-chiptune-for-a-video-game/

Google: The Super hack-and-slash ultra-dragon fighter deluxe mania omega 4 revised edition
Result (first and only related): chipmusic.org/forums/topic/6973/i-need-chiptune-for-a-video-game/

DJ Turac...

Google: DJ Turac
Result:

Ok. This may not be you but yea I'm calling bullshit, Ace.

My apologies, I did not think to look my [old] name up on google. I'm pretty dumb, aren't I?

Anyway, Our game (our first one [despite the name]) is only in it's inception. We cannot supply extra information because we do not have extra information. Me and our other writer are only just creating the back story and various concepts for characters, enemies, items and levels.
By the way, I did not "walk" into a studio and present an idea for a game. we are all friends at school, and this is a project for what we call "Uni studies". The game is not my idea (at least not all of it, I contributed), and we do have some concept art by our [good] artist, and we have two programmers with knowledge into game design.

Also I'm not surprised by Defiantsystem's other two searches.
Who would be both stupid and awesome enough to call their game TSHASUDFDMO4RE (The Super hack-and-slash ultra-dragon fighter deluxe mania omega 4 revised edition). Come on, really?

And we are still thinking over making the game bought or not. As I said, the game is in it's inception, so we have little idea how good it will be.

You said we need to get our shit together, then talk business. That is exactly what we are planning to do. I was only trying to give some advance notice to anyone who is interested. My apologies for the confusion.

Footnote: this is not Bulls***, nor a troll
Footnote 2: I don't think we're looking for dignity
Footnote 3: I'm Australian (don't see what that's got to do with anything, but oh well) (I suppose it means that I am not South American)

Last edited by Traurnroth (May 4, 2012 10:45 am)

.FILTHadelphia

This is a classic case of counting your chickens before they hatch. Sure you could get someone to start making songs, then it turns out you and your friend decide that this isn't something you want to do and now you've wasted not only your time but somebody else's. I have no issue with you wanting music for your game and even if it's freeware and you needed a musician to work for free, no gripes there either (I'd definitely work for a freeware project, depending how good the game actually is.)

Bottom line is, you need to bring something to the table. Take these guys for example: http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/6965/ … music-500/

That was just posted recently and they offered not only money but they have a website and video of currently rough gameplay. Start coding and building your game then comeback when you have something. You're planning too far ahead.

Sweden
Traurnroth wrote:

Footnote 2: I don't think we're looking for dignity

To your defense, at least you are being honest about it. Maybe you should add that footnote to the original post.

defiantsystems wrote:

This is a classic case of counting your chickens before they hatch. Sure you could get someone to start making songs, then it turns out you and your friend decide that this isn't something you want to do and now you've wasted not only your time but somebody else's. I have no issue with you wanting music for your game and even if it's freeware and you needed a musician to work for free, no gripes there either (I'd definitely work for a freeware project, depending how good the game actually is.)

Bottom line is, you need to bring something to the table. Take these guys for example: http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/6965/ … music-500/

That was just posted recently and they offered not only money but they have a website and video of currently rough gameplay. Start coding and building your game then comeback when you have something. You're planning too far ahead.

You make a very good point. I apologize for my mistake.

As soon as we can have something like that up, we will, and I shall Restate my offer backed by some actual facts.

Until then, Ignore this discussion, unless you want to have more arguments on it, which I won't complain about.

San Diego, CA

I'm biting the bullet and learning Flixel (flixel.org) so I can literally do what Edward Shallow is suggesting

if it comes out the way it's looking like in my head it's going to be great smile

Chicago IL

I'll do it for five hundo

Tulsa, OK

Hating on this guy will not accomplish anything. It cannot conceivably be productive in any way.

The only thing that could possibly improve the situation is to make music for this guy.

That is the reason that I will do it. I have nothing to lose, and it could be fun! I do not feel like it challenges my dignity in the slightest, and I do not see how anyone could question that.

I am CHOSING to make musig for free for FUN. What has music come to that making it is not fun? That someone won't make it unless they are paid (for a project of this small of a scale)? If you are going to hassle him because you want to be paid for entertaining yourself; you could be a bum who does not have any other redeemable skills, or you could be a dick. I don't wish to be either of those things.

All of my music is free, this will be no exception.

Chicago IL

Thanks heaps Jake.

That was Kinda the idea of this.

Sweden
Jake Allison wrote:

Hating on this guy will not accomplish anything. It cannot conceivably be productive in any way.

The only thing that could possibly improve the situation is to make music for this guy.

As far as I'm concerned, most people who have posted in this thread have brought up constructive points and tips. If you don't think that might accomplish anything, I don't really know what to tell you.

Jake Allison wrote:

That is the reason that I will do it. I have nothing to lose, and it could be fun! I do not feel like it challenges my dignity in the slightest, and I do not see how anyone could question that.

"I have nothing to lose" vs. your dignity.

Jake Allison wrote:

I am CHOSING to make musig for free for FUN. What has music come to that making it is not fun? That someone won't make it unless they are paid (for a project of this small of a scale)? If you are going to hassle him because you want to be paid for entertaining yourself; you could be a bum who does not have any other redeemable skills, or you could be a dick. I don't wish to be either of those things.

First of all, you are not only doing it for free. You are giving away your music to a stranger to profit from without sharing any of it with you, and you don't even know what kind of project it is. The attitude that "being paid for entertaining yourself" is necessarily a bad thing is really stupid. When doing something for a for-profit project, the only reason you can't have any of it is that you are being exploited, whether you like doing what you are doing or not. Whatever you believe, don't call people who disagree with your unhealthy attitude to work dicks or bums.

Jake Allison wrote:

All of my music is free, this will be no exception.

Frankly, I'm sure it also proves one of the points I made in my first post in this thread.

Last edited by boomlinde (May 8, 2012 7:07 am)

New York City

A wild bottom feeder appears!