Boston, MA

i have a pile of source code from other GB demos + tools (like rollercoaster) if anyone wants them, great for learning. GB dev is a little over my head, I did everything I wanted to do (timer, palette fade, hblank effect, read input, made a stop watch) but with all the little things you have to consider its tough to be creative. Making demos or tools working in a team would be aweeeeeeeeesooooooomeeeeeeee

rochester, ny
ultramega wrote:

i have a pile of source code from other GB demos + tools (like rollercoaster) if anyone wants them, great for learning. GB dev is a little over my head, I did everything I wanted to do (timer, palette fade, hblank effect, read input, made a stop watch) but with all the little things you have to consider its tough to be creative. Making demos or tools working in a team would be aweeeeeeeeesooooooomeeeeeeee

i would love to learn a little bit about gb dev. i've done a bit of stuff for the NES (all of which was super simple) but i think it would be awesome to write programs for a portable device.

uhajdafdfdfa

assembly language is not impossibly hard but it is probablyharder than lsdj. if you already tried any sort of computer programming (not html) before you will find it even easier

you are probably capable of doing it you just have to not expect to be able to make TRACKER LIKE LSDJ BUT WAY BETTERER AND AWESOMER within your first week. in fact it will be demoralising that you havent achieved anything you can show otherpeople in the early part of learning assembly  language but it won't take very long before you can make something you are proud of

rochester, ny
ant1 wrote:

assembly language is not impossibly hard but it is probablyharder than lsdj. if you already tried any sort of computer programming (not html) before you will find it even easier

you are probably capable of doing it you just have to not expect to be able to make TRACKER LIKE LSDJ BUT WAY BETTERER AND AWESOMER within your first week. in fact it will be demoralising that you havent achieved anything you can show otherpeople in the early part of learning assembly  language but it won't take very long before you can make something you are proud of

yeah, that was my experience with assembly code and the NES too. keep your expectations realistic and it can be really rewarding.

Boston, MA
nickmaynard wrote:

but i think it would be awesome to write programs for a portable device.

thats why I keep coming back to it, I'm also a genesis fanboy but 16bit (scary asm) and non portable keep me away.

@nickmaynard, I can email you the resources I was talking about if you want..I'll come back and edit this post with the roms I made when I'm home.

I'd be down to work with someone whos got pixel / asm skills.. get at me!

West Yorks, UK

We may have some progress on this fantasy Chord app.

The person in question (mad skills, reputable in chip coding scene, not gonna spill the beans at such an early stage)) is going to require paying for his time. Il be laying down at least 50gbp in the next month or two, with more to follow. Im thinking of getting people who would like to use such an app to contribute a bit also, when we're (hes) further along (and the idea proves worthy of continued dev)

Sacramento, CA

This idea sounds awesome, i'd be willing to put in a few buck (~5-10) to get the process moving faster! I wish I had experience with coding besides copy-paste skills, alas even if I did I probably wouldn't be much help anyways.

SLC, UT
ultramega wrote:

who wants to talk more about GB dev because I know i do

spent all day sunday trying this tutorial to absolutely no avail whatsoever.

6502 is easier to get into than z80. Maybe try writing for the NES first and then go to Gameboy?  They share a lot of traits in the graphics and audio.

I knocked this out in a few hours if you want the source.

Sweeeeeeden
4mat wrote:

6502 is easier to get into than z80.

Hmm, I wonder... I always found 6502 to be a complete brainfuck, although I've heard it's more powerful when you do know it well.

Lexington, KY

Quick question, are you guys able to use the red Nintendo powerpak to be able to run your programs on an actual nes?

Last edited by BlakePalmer (Mar 20, 2018 10:48 pm)

Boston, MA
stargazer wrote:

spent all day sunday trying this tutorial to absolutely no avail whatsoever.

yo try some ASM : http://gameboy.mongenel.com/asmschool.html

Solarbear wrote:

Quick question, are you guys able to use the red Nintendo powerpak to be able to run your programs on an actual nes?

yes, same for whatever flash cart and GB

Last edited by ultramega (Jun 5, 2012 5:40 pm)

SLC, UT
ultramega wrote:

yo try some ASM : http://gameboy.mongenel.com/asmschool.html

Looks good, I'll do the tuts sometime. Is that written by duodreamer on irc? Does anyone get on irc?

Boston, MA

yeah thats duo's website and there is regular activity in #gbdev on efnet

SLC, UT
ultramega wrote:

yeah thats duo's website and there is regular activity in #gbdev on efnet

Yeah, I was talking to him. He was being helpful and funny. But it seems mostly quiet (I've stayed on for several hours a few times). Am I doing something wrong?