matt's mind
this thread wrote:

cock meat sandwich

bizarre foods with andrew zimmern.

how did this thread end up here.

If these were popular enough could they possibly phase out ems carts? I don't want them to exist anymore.

Edit: meaning price would go down to match that of ems carts if they were cheaper to make in bigger batches which would be reasonable for the higher demand of ems cart owners and newcomers

I didn't use a period because that is definitely not a sentence.

Last edited by thnikk (May 21, 2012 10:00 pm)

Melbourne, Australia
thnikk wrote:

If these were popular enough could they possibly phase out ems carts? I don't want them to exist anymore.

Edit: meaning price would go down to match that of ems carts if they were cheaper to make in bigger batches which would be reasonable for the higher demand of ems cart owners and newcomers

I didn't use a period because that is definitely not a sentence.

I think you're underestimating the volume of PCB fab and assembly required to make a significant reduction in unit prices.

Even if this becomes "popular" in this crowd we're not talking anywhere near the numbers required to bring the cost down to EMS 64M USB cart prices. I wouldn't count on the unit price of this cart dipping under ~$100 AUD.

I think it will become popular. especially in the retro gaming crowd with the flash speed and no need for drivers, as its drag and drop. Why does everyone need the price to be so low?? its called paying for quality. krikzz deserved every penny for my everdrive 64, and honestly i woulda paid twice what i did for it. this is in the same league if you ask me

Melbourne, Australia

No argument here. If anything $100 AUD is bloody cheap.

Hope you don't think I was criticizing your post, I was just saying people expect to pay 10$ for a hand developed cartridge. the r4 cards for ds's are built by teams and sell millions

I resent that.

Resent what?

I was just asking if it was reasonable to assume the price of manufacturing would go down if it sold on a large enough scale. I don't mind dishing out the dosh.

Brooklyn NY US
Shadow-Bit wrote:

I resent that.

There's a surprise.

Melbourne, Australia
thnikk wrote:

I was just asking if it was reasonable to assume the price of manufacturing would go down if it sold on a large enough scale. I don't mind dishing out the dosh.

And the answer is "Almost certainly not"

Fargo
thnikk wrote:

I was just asking if it was reasonable to assume the price of manufacturing would go down if it sold on a large enough scale.  I don't m ind dishing out the dosh.

Doubtful.  Something like this is marketable to a large group, but not so large a group that it could ever (probably) be rationalized to make thousands upon thousands.  Anything is possible, and if abrasive wants to spend more money to market his product and/or sell his design to a bigger company capable of factory production, maybe the price will drop drastically.  That's a big "if" at this point.

celsius wrote:

No argument here. If anything $100 AUD is bloody cheap.

I agree, you get what you pay for.  Somehow I suspect that EMS pays less than a living wage for the production of their carts anyway.  Those of you wanting it to be cheaper, look at it like supporting your chip community while getting a great product at a fair price.  I doubt this is the last thing these guys will come up with.  Your money may go toward another amazing project in the future.  I know I can't do stuff like this, there aren't many who can in general, and there are even fewer who can and are willing to put their time and money into projects for the chip music community.  Knowing this, I will gladly pay $100AUD, if that is indeed the final price. 

And, may I add, I appreciate all Mr. abrasive has done; taking time out of his apparently already busy schedule to work on this for all of us chip fanatics.  Please, to those of you who are...stop complaining/hounding him.  He's asked for this many times.  Have patience and give respect until the release day finally comes.  He'll let us know.

Melbourne, Australia
Krubbz wrote:

Wise words.

Gosford, Australia

so where can i get a cart

Victory Road wrote:

so where can i get a cart

in the future.