Melbourne, AU

http://www.pitchfork.com/news/46600-lis … ame-music/

I mean it sounds fakebit as all hell (complete with mario coin sounds and everything), but it's cool that pitchfork is covering something like this....... right?

Saint Paul, MN

p4k has only ever reviewed one chiptune album, Truckasauras's Tea Parties, Guns, & Valor...it's an ok album.

As far as this being fakebit, I don't mind. All kinds of good chippers make their songs in FL Studio...see Tugboat (RIP)

Melbourne, Australia

For me it's a completely uninspired, paint by numbers cover of the album. Nothing interesting or unique about the synth design and no new take on any of the compositons. Might as well be a Kareoke general midi version of a song because it's not far removed from that.

Whenever someone does an "8-bit" cover album like this it just means a barage of emails, tweets and co-workers tapping you on the sholder cause you're "that video game music guy" to tell you about this awesome 8-bit cover album. Yawn.

</oldman>

San Diego, CA

it's kind of telling that the scant coverage of chiptune on pitchfork's website isn't about original works -- it's about a cover of two radiohead albums.

I don't think that this kind of typecasting should be encouraged, because when a big site like pitchfork covers our entire genre/medium/whatever and only puts up gimmicky 8bit (not even) covers of other songs, everyone starts to think that chiptune is just about covers of songs but lo-fi. bluntly put, it's lazy journalism.

Brooklyn NY US

@celsius & @spacetownsavior: Hear, hear.

バード大学
celsius wrote:

it just means a barage of emails, tweets and co-workers tapping you on the sholder cause you're "that video game music guy" to tell you about this awesome 8-bit cover album. Yawn.

</oldman>

This happened to me with this very cover album -- the Kid A one. A friend of mine who knew nothing outside of, "oh he makes music that's on a Gameboy" sent me it excitedly, and with a sort of an air that said, "This is basically what you do, right?"

Godzilladelph
celsius wrote:

For me it's a completely uninspired, paint by numbers cover of the album. Nothing interesting or unique about the synth design and no new take on any of the compositons. Might as well be a Kareoke general midi version of a song because it's not far removed from that.

Whenever someone does an "8-bit" cover album like this it just means a barage of emails, tweets and co-workers tapping you on the sholder cause you're "that video game music guy" to tell you about this awesome 8-bit cover album. Yawn.

</oldman>

holyshit dude have you heard about this game for wii, i think it's called mario paint or something? I thought you might be interested cause it's like a video game with music and stuff

Praha, Czech republic
Helvetica Scenario wrote:

A friend of mine who knew nothing outside of, "oh he makes music that's on a Gameboy" sent me it excitedly, and with a sort of an air that said, "This is basically what you do, right?"

Hehe, my friend sent a link to this to me saying "I think you could probably do this better, still worth a listen though" :]]

Los Angeles, CA

Yups and ditto's to what everybody said so far... I don't mind the background stuff being basic, but when you replace warm, vibrato-ridden emotionally resonant lead vocals with raw waveforms notes without natural-sounding envelopes and without shaping the instrument much, THAT for me is what kills it and gives it that really harsh, unfortunate general midi-file quality... Leads are important, y'all.... <--snob

Fargo

I heard this.  It's not a bad cover, but it's pretty boring in my opinion.  It doesn't even compare to what it could be or what I normally listen to.  It's not because I don't like Kid A or OK Computer.  I really do. 
Example: the buildup at the end of Paranoid Android doesn't do even a tenth of what the actual song does for me.  I didn't even come close to head banging.  Also, Idioteque sucked.  That was a big letdown.  That is maybe the closest to dancy electronica they do.  This shouldn't have been hard for an electronic musician.

BOSTON

pitchfork is terrible

shanghai

it sucks cock

Gosford, Australia
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

pitchfork is terrible

haven't listened to the covers yet but yes i agree with this

The only coverage we get are chip covers albums, which people rant about on here and yet continue working on more of them.  So it's not the magazine's fault it's yours.

A gray world of dread

bawk bawk mainstream media bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk popular music covers bawk bawk bawk bawk

hardcore, Australia
Krubbz wrote:

it's pretty boring in my opinion.

That's probably just the Radiohead aspect of it.