Louisiana
shanebro wrote:

I only know of one other chiptune persons other than myself in this lonely state (Vex).

There's atleast three of us man don't feel so lonely. And I meet a few people every few weeks that know of the music and play with milky tracker but have no idea that there is a huge community of us. I always get the whole "omg there's a community for this stuff!? I thought I just found some unknown software no one knew about and thought it sounded cool" I point them her me but I haven't heard of any actually showin up yet. There's also a chip tuner up in the Texarkana area which is only about an hour drive from here so I count him also. I did come across a guy that brought making chiptunes with milky tracker but he started talking about wanting a "chip controller". I was intrigued and showed him some of my gameboys I've painted and modded and he was got excited and started freakig out saying "omg you can make them!? Chip controllers you have a lot of them!" I looked at him in confusion and asked if he meant the gameboys..and he said yes strangely enough. I personally have never heard of a gameboy being referred to as a "chip controller" but eh. He also was familiar with LSDJ and said that was why hes been wanting a "chip controller" so he could run it "properly" and not with an emulator on a pc. I gave him fb info cause he asked for it so he could add me and talk to me further and stuff but no word yet. But if he does ad he really gets into it we may have 5 in this state or generally close to us anyway lol.

BOSTON

Boston has been pretty amazing, but so many people come here just for college so it's hard to maintain any stable "scene" with people just coming and going. I would say the we only really have 5 or 6 real "Boston area" artists at any given point, so we import!

that said, the boston8bit shows are always well attended and the bookers love us, we have 4 awesome chip radio shows, a great relationship with the media/press and are we are generally pretty well known around town. local club djs will spin chip tracks in normal dance sets randomly etc. cool vibe, I love Boston.

Last edited by BR1GHT PR1MATE (May 25, 2012 11:39 am)

Bratislava, Slovakia

I've started to compose chiptunes in the early 1991 on ZX Spectrum 128k+ with ACB stereo output. In Czech and Slovak republic (formerly federation) i knew personally around 20 chiptune artists. Today i don't know nobody (i am active in some music/audio forums here) and i think i am first here, who purchased DMG-01, EMS USB cartridge, LSDJ, backlight, ProSound mod etc.

CHIPTUNE

If you're looking for people, the micromap at www.micromusic.net might be a start.
They are bound to be out of date, but it's something.

Might be trickier to find demosceners. But Pouet and CSDb might work?

orange county, CA

Here where i'm from, the chipscene is only 6 of us. I'm from Corpus Christi, Texas. Those 6 include myself, Klownin, Kloudygirl, IAYD, Indigo Road, and walterbgentle. Corpus in general actually has a good music scene, but as far as the electronic or chip scene, it's barely here. Everytime i play a show, same questions are always asked. "what game are you playing" "how do you do that" you know.. The usual.. Hahaha. I wish my city has a chipscene like NYC.

San Diego, CA

how would you guys measure a "thriving" scene? is it the number of active artists, or fans, or show attendance?

I'd honestly say that it's a combination of the three! but I'm interested to hear how it works in other communities smile

Lexington, KY
spacetownsavior wrote:

how would you guys measure a "thriving" scene? is it the number of active artists, or fans, or show attendance?

I'd honestly say that it's a combination of the three! but I'm interested to hear how it works in other communities smile

Artists, I'd say. Music still gets created and shared without fans and show attendees.

Brunswick, GA USA
spacetownsavior wrote:

It is combination of three with the latter being most important. That goes for any kind of music btw.

While I recognize the importance of the artist (and so should the audience) as many times as I have created music alone at home I have never considered it an event...

Last edited by chunter (May 25, 2012 7:30 pm)

lolusa
Vellain wrote:

Yeah, I wish, though, that the Circuits Ole shows at Dorky's were all ages. As I am only 17, the whole 21+ thing really becomes a downer. The most recent X-Bit was great though (I tuned in via livestream). I HIGHLY suggest getting over to one sooner or later.

I spent a good chunk of my life in those shoes. Unfortunately with the deal we have with the venue, all minors have to be out of the barcade around 7 or something lame like that. Unless we could gaurantee a large underage turn-out AND provide security, an all-ages show is possible smile

Above all, I just want to say it's an absolute shame someone a short drive away can't attend because of age. Hope we cross paths sometime

New Albany Indiana

I think there might be one more chip tuner in indiana....m but i showed my friend this artist called balloon-sex and he's hooked on chip music and he's going to brk fest.

Lexington, KY

Austin is from Indiana I believe. If you don't know Austin... Then you weren't on 8bc. Cool guy. Makes retro RPG music.

UK

here in brighton, pretty non-existent. there was a bigger scene in inverclyde, heh.

OMG PAGE 6!! there was Nashville people!!!  I knew Smiletron was here but I thought that was it.

also, I lacked the geography skills to realize Lexington was so close !!!!!

how exciting.

AANABAY01

me and ant1 are the welsh chipscene

UK
Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

me and ant1 are the welsh chipscene

tatws hapus!

Spokane, Washington

Me and 199x are really the only ones who make music. We used to have a guy that went by saffron city but he moved to Portland and quite making 8bit... He was quite good.