I know a lot of you are going to hate me for this but I think this site needs one.

Without it, nothing new is going to arise, that's not saying new stuff isn't being made, just that it isn't being pinpointed and shown on the front page.

There is some kind of moral issue when it comes to this subject and a lot of you think it is a bad idea. Why?

The likes system on 8bc at least gave artists a chance to get known whilst some of them perhaps didn't "deserve" it. Either way, it was a fun way to enjoy the website.

Of course it doesn't have to be a likes system. Just something to show you that particular songs are good. You'd probably want it to avoid being LSDJ songs all the time, I remember a lot of people complained about that. Really though, I think people saying stuff like "LSDJ IS the charts mayne" was a bit over rated, there was always variety in the music there.

A display of 12 random songs with blue bubbles that the majority of us don't understand anyway just doesn't cut it for me, sorry.

these are sensible words.

at least a "who's playing what" window would help.  then again I guess the releases section IS the music section here.

rochester, ny

the popularity contest aspect of 8bc was probably what i liked least about the site, to be honest. i kind of like that the focus here isn't on how many likes someone has, but on what they contribute to the community (their posts).

but i wouldn't protest a change here either. whatev!

Brazil

On the other hand I disagree. It creates unnecessary flame wars, harsh words and people wanting attention.

There are other ways to create a hype to people make music and, either way, it will still be less than some people deserve.

Unsubscribe

8bc got popular WAY before it had a top charts. Charts are what ruined it.

IL, US

yeah, i dont think any of us on staff are eager to start anything resembling the charts on here...
charts on 8bc lead to tons on flame wars, people creating 30-40 accounts to boost their track to the top, lots of accounts that appeared to exist just to vote for their friends and contributed nothing to the community, etc.. all of which created more work for the staff and lots of ill will among the community
and personally, id see any positives it created as minimal at best

edit: beyond that, if i remember correctly back to the talks pre-cm.org launch, the staff made a choice to make this a community/information first type site, with it also being a means to share tracks (just with lower priority than the sharing of information)

Atlanta

We don't really need it to be honest. I personally prefer everyone getting a fair chance to be listened to rather than all the people that would go on 8bc and only listen to the top artists. People that deserved attention never got it.

Brunswick, GA USA

We have one, look at how many comments a release or event thread gets...

Last edited by chunter (Jun 4, 2012 2:53 pm)

Gosford, Australia

i don't think it would really harm the site as much as some people have projected - i think the community that's been established here is, for the most part, mature and respectful enough to use a more prominent music charting system responsibly and also not make a huge deal over it.

tbh though the only reason i post music anywhere is so people will listen and perhaps give a little feedback (weeklybeats being the only exception), and anyone can make a thread for their song and get at least a couple of replies. so for me there's little need for any systematic charting.

I feel without this, without this COMPETITION. we are all going to stick with the music we know. Nothing new is going to cross your ears, at least not from a new artist. We are turning into a circlejerking mess and it is why I suggested this.

Gosford, Australia
Je Mappelle wrote:

I feel without this, without this COMPETITION. we are all going to stick with the music we know. Nothing new is going to cross your ears, at least not from a new artist. We are turning into a circlejerking mess and it is why I suggested this.

i don't think this is entirely the case, but i see where you're coming from. i think we can all be more enthusiastic about each other's work and then we can avoid any negative consequences a traditional ranking system might introduce.

Last edited by Victory Road (Jun 4, 2012 3:04 pm)

Iowa

I don't believe in competing especially with chip music

Last edited by ClairBear (Jun 4, 2012 3:03 pm)

Forest Maze
Je Mappelle wrote:

A gray world of dread
Je Mappelle wrote:

I'd argue that a rating system would not change, but increase this effect. That much was evident on 8bc when music views clustered around names that had a high profile.

Battle of the Bits employs an anonymous competitive system which works pretty well, imo.

IL, US

just sayin' dont hold your breath... for artists looking to make their mark, best bet is work out a really solid release, and selectively link it to more established artists who you think it may appeal to (dont just spam the fuck out of it)... also look for netlabels who take demos

babylon

as someone whos lurked both sites religiously for years now i can say i agree with you je mappelle. just not on the point that it should be implemented here. i was always under the impression that people on cm were hiding from that kinda thing. i would throw your weight behind ucollective.org which appears to be trying to revive the 8bc vibe. i will say this though, as much as everyone here remembers the negative from 8bc it was always had a  much funner and lighthearted feeling to me. ive always gotten a be elite or gtfo vibe from cm. i know thats not the intention though. to each their own.