Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

Preferred the original post SKGB wink

Yeah, you're right swearing is cool.

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

Fuck

Lexington, KY

As I was reading the thread in its entirety, I came across esc's comment about how cm.org is ran by several ex-8bc admins. That being the case, I probably would have to vote against the institution of a chart type system. No one will know more about its dangers than they.

...But I'll repeat my earlier comment that I do believe chiptunes NEEDS a chart. Maybe more like beatport.com's? And let's face it, chiptuner's have EVERY RIGHT to get jealous/butthurt/flamey/whatever, and restricting that behavior only works so well because it'll still manifest in different ways (plz see andrew's comment above this one, haha! heart u, andy).

I can't help but wonder if maybe some of 8bc's old developers could be persuaded to create a seperate site from chipmusic for such a thing? Like, a hub for new releases and chart hits. Again, kind of like a beatport.com

AANABAY01

well ze major worry of charts is zat zey become a taste generaliser and punish people attempting art

Brazil

Bla bla bla.

I skipped after the 3rd page cause someone came, made a point and don't know why this forum was created. Now that he knows his request will not be implemented, then attacks everyone being a "spoiled brat".

This was exactly what people who migrated here hated on 8bc. Lots of requests for boosting the circle jerk instead of working OUTSIDE the internet.

If you want to know new music, why don't you look for website of the people you see here? Or other ways to know their music instead of a forum? I know that getting both in one place is great, but what most people here hate is spoonfeeding. And, hell, there is a release forum here, get some stuff from people you don't know there!

But this is just a rant, not just to Je Mappelle, but looks like some people don't know the history of this site and wants it to be 8bc, which is not and there is other places who are trying to be like that.

tldr: get some time out of the interwebs.

Brunswick, GA USA

Earth
nitro2k01 wrote:

So, how should I put this... I'm in the camp that supports there being some form of active rating mechanism. (Likes, 5 star rating or similar.) I think the idea behind the current system is that everyone should have equal opportunity, and preventing favoritism. However, there are two problems. For the listener, if you don't have the time and will to browse through 20 songs, it's practical to have some form of quality screening. And if you're an uploader, some form of reward is an incentive to upload good music. As unfortunate as it is, 90% of music uploaded is going to suck (or at least not blow anyone's mind). A rating system can help bring attention to those other 10%.

I can see certain specific problems with a rating system, which could  be solved with some tweaking of the rules. Sockpuppet accounts: restrict voting to people who have a certain amount of activity in the forums or similar. Favoritism: If a person reaches the top 3, restrict them from reaching top 3 for the next x weeks. And so on. I do think some form of rating system would be good for the site.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the issue. I like the idea of booting people off the charts for a period, after reaching the top. It would be great if we could limit voting by IP address.

I think the popularity contest on 8bc was fueled by the "Likes list". When you can see all the people who 'like' a song, it's temping to stick with your friends, and upvote just to be a pal. I think the only purpose of voting should be quality control. Therefore anonymity would be best.

Maybe there could also be more filter options. Filter by newest, weekly top rated, all time top rated, most comments,  most downloaded, most used tags. It would just be helpful in sifting through the uploads.

Last edited by breakphase (Jun 5, 2012 12:05 am)

IL, US

limiting voting by IP would just encourage proxy server use.. its already popular among trolls hmm

Savannah, Georgia

as a listener, i do enjoy having a "most popular" sort of thing to get to some good music from names i recognize. it makes things quick and easy to find what's good and what's bad really fast and get to the cream of the crop when you don't have time to actually sift through every song.

as a producer without a major fanbase (and a name synonymous with a Houston hockey team), it drives me absolutely insane because i know that a "most popular" section can often work as a two-way boost: it brings the well-known higher up and the lesser known often lose potential audience from the measure.

in a nutshell, i could see how a rating system could come in handy to determine a good and a bad song, but often rating systems can be used to sing the praises of names instead of music (see YouTube's most viewed videos), so in that sense i think everyone would be better off shutting the fuck up about it, because both points are valid. wink

Last edited by Aeros (Jun 5, 2012 12:17 am)

Earth
e.s.c. wrote:

limiting voting by IP would just encourage proxy server use.. its already popular among trolls hmm

Well that's a good point. The post count might be better. I'm just sayin it could be tweaked just to serve as a way to bring attention to the really good stuff, and increase usage. Help people find good music, and artists to find recognition.

I know it's a double edged sword.

NYC

Just goto the new releases for new things and talk to people on the forums and on IRC for suggestions. It's not a hard website to use and the internet is there for you to explore. The idea of going to just one site for all your chipmusic stuff is insane and dumb. SPREAD YOUR WINGS AND EXPLORE OTHER SHIT. god.... a fucking popularity contest... keep that with 8bc...

Madison, Alabama

There's more drama on most cm.org threads than 8bc threads.  8bc drama was fake flame-y drama, and cm.org is obnoxious drama-drama. 

Nitro2k and 4mat posted the wisest posts, in my opinion.  'Nuff said.

YOUR MOM!
Je Mappelle wrote:

Yeah, you're right swearing is cool.

3 things make people cool.

smoking.

swearing.

and drinking.

Melbourne, Australia
roboctopus wrote:

There's more drama on most cm.org threads than 8bc threads.  8bc drama was fake flame-y drama, and cm.org is obnoxious drama-drama. 

Nitro2k and 4mat posted the wisest posts, in my opinion.  'Nuff said.

You must be the most overly emotionally sensitive individual on this planet. All I've seen in this thread are reasonable posts about a feature suggestion. Where's the drama?

Unsubscribe

I don't think there is any drama in this thread. People aren't coming to consensus, but its mostly a decent conversation.  Just because I think you are wrong doesn't mean I think you are a bad person or anything.