Matthew Joseph Payne

Bit wish, there is nothing wrong with Audacity. Something is wrong in your signal chain. Make sure you're using a stereo cable into a stereo line input. You may have a mono cable, you may have a microphone input, either will cause problems. If you don't have a stereo line input on your computer, consider investing in a small audio interface, or one of those mixers with built in interfaces. Even a shitty behringer one would probably be an improvement.

And for the record, I work in Digital Performer or Audacity, depending on the complexity of the work.

New Albany Indiana
Jellica wrote:

is the cable you are using stereo or mono?
are you using the mic input?
is audacity recording in mono?
is your laptop/computers sound card a peice of crap? (my shitty work laptop only has a mic in for example)

The cable i have is only a couple days old, It's universal, so if it's hooked up to my stereo it play in stereo just fine, and same for mono stuff. Yes, i am using the mic port that's built in to my computer. And on audacity when i open a stereo track and hit the record button it opeens a new mono track and wont let me record on the stereo track. And my sound card is top of the line for computers out of stock, i have ASUS sonic focus and synopsis.

Savannah, Georgia

FL studio because i can't afford anything better

Last edited by Aeros (Jun 15, 2012 6:56 pm)

I hope this makes sense. It's hard to describe the user interface in words:

In audacity there's a pulldown to the right of the transport and just below and to the right of the volume controls (underneath all those trim and and zoom Icons across the very top)  that says 1(Mo...  pull that to  "2 stereo input channels" and try again.

New Albany Indiana
9H05T wrote:

I hope this makes sense. It's hard to describe the user interface in words:

In audacity there's a pulldown to the right of the transport and just below and to the right of the volume controls (underneath all those trim and and zoom Icons across the very top)  that says 1(Mo...  pull that to  "2 stereo input channels" and try again.

Thank, im sure when i open audacity it will make since.

uhajdafdfdfa

like boomlinde i don't really record, but i have a zoom H2 that i use when i do

Centreville, VA
Aeros wrote:

FL studio because i can't afford anything better

There's nothing wrong with FL Studio at all. I know some pro guys that use it and have for years. Tools are tools.

Puerto Rico

I use Audacity, but Reaper is great and whenever I'm layering sounds use that instead because it just feels easier to arrange and EQ on the fly.

Joliette, QC, Canada
boomlinde wrote:

Most of my stuff never leaves the computer, because I usually just render it straight from the tracker and push the gain until I can hear the clipping in Audacity.

Same here !!!

Germany/Florida

I use a Xenyx 802 then master in Izotope Ozone 5, also @Aeros, I heard the compression in Fl is shit, is that true?

FL STUDIO when i want to add effects to parts of the song, for example fade outs/in, EQ.

AUDACITY when i don't want to add stuff and just want a straight recording.

Indiana

FL Studio, Cubase, Ableton, Audacity, and Raisin.

I mainly use Ableton if I'm recording stuff though.

Last edited by boomglitch (Jun 16, 2012 12:06 am)

brooklyn
Saskrotch wrote:

example : http://twitpic.com/8dafvo

whoa, I'm gonna have to mess around with trying that

I had previously been using Ableton for everything musical I do except for recording LSDJ... I had been using Logic for that.
Now I've switched entirely over to Ableton, no multitracking really, but I sync LSDJ with ableton's clock and then use ableton's native plugs and ozone for post junk.

Right now I'm using Audacity 2.3 (Very old, yet useful) and Wavosaur 1.0.5.0...  Wavosaur has things that Audacity doesn't and Audacity has things that work better than Wavosaur... like the bit sampling.

have you checked:

recording levels on your pc.
recording levels on your gameboy.
lead from gameboy isn't going into microphone socket.  (you want line-in though tbh most laptops these days share that with microphone)

Set the DMG to about 2/3rds volume and your PC recording level to 50%.  Record in Audacity, the signal won't be hugely loud but it won't peak or distort.  Then use the Normalize feature to boost it to a greater level.  (don't do normalize over and over again and don't use amplify or whatever the equiv. is)

But tbh if your original signal is bad even the best clean-up software isn't going to fix it.

NC in the US of America
4mat wrote:

have you checked:

recording levels on your pc.
recording levels on your gameboy.
lead from gameboy isn't going into microphone socket.  (you want line-in though tbh most laptops these days share that with microphone)

Set the DMG to about 2/3rds volume and your PC recording level to 50%.  Record in Audacity, the signal won't be hugely loud but it won't peak or distort.  Then use the Normalize feature to boost it to a greater level.  (don't do normalize over and over again and don't use amplify or whatever the equiv. is)

But tbh if your original signal is bad even the best clean-up software isn't going to fix it.

What's wrong with using amplify?