AANABAY01

that "write a hundred songs," "practise for ten thousand hours" method to becoming good makes you skip your punk period and become dream theater far too early into your life. please don't become dream theater

yes, don't become dream theater.  that's all you need to know about music theory.

Of course I know 4mat. I don't particularly enjoy him, but I have much respect for him.

Also zan-zan, how else are you supposed to get better? Nobody understands the technical side off the bat. You could go the whole "I'll just do whatever" approach, and that's fine too, but you're still practicing and improving. It's simply another way to say keep practicing. Why is everyong up in arms about that comment anyway? That's a common quote haha, I didn't coin it.

Cambridge UK

Because I don't consider you legitimate, but mostly because I don't approve of your comment of a thousand songs at all.

Earth
Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

that "write a hundred songs," "practise for ten thousand hours" method to becoming good makes you skip your punk period and become dream theater far too early into your life. please don't become dream theater

That's true but hopefully if your punk you don't go asking for anyone's approval. That works out better.

Last edited by breakphase (Jun 16, 2012 6:44 pm)

brooklyn

someone just close this hatefest already

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
Kedromelon wrote:

someone just close this hatefest already

George wrote:

Because I don't consider you legitimate, but mostly because I don't approve of your comment of a thousand songs at all.

Fair enough. I can't say your opinion is wrong, but I really don't see how you can improve in music without practicing. If you've worked out a way to do that, then that's fantastic, glad to see it worked for you.

What I would like to know is what makes me not legitimate. Is it because I haven't been around for the past 10 years in this scene? That shouldn't detract from the legitimacy of what I do. President Obama has been in office for two years, but he's just as much of a president as FDR.

Whatever you think is totally cool though. I don't require nor request your approval to continue creating music that makes me happy and pleases the growing fanbase I have.

Cambridge UK

Because sophism.

when were you president Frostbyte?

4mat wrote:

when were you president Frostbyte?

Lol

Rochester, NY

dude I am so inb4 this locks up I can't wait

Gosford, Australia

noob isn't a number or timeframe, it's a state of mind.

hurrdurr i'm internet philospher

Last edited by Victory Road (Jun 17, 2012 12:16 am)

Philly, PA, USA

so having barely skimmed most of this thread I have a couple of things to say

GEORGE you've been gone a while and these kids don't understand your hate

SMASHBOY there's been some good things in this thread but I'm going to summarize for you

ONE - upload your songs to somewhere people can stream from if you want them to listen
TWO - make tons of shitty stuff before you even ask for criticism, if your song sounds like something you would want to listen then go for it
THREE - people here hate people, that's just how it is but you get used to it, and you start hating people too
FOUR - go to shows. I see you're from PA, if you're near philly come to 8static, next one is july 14th you learn a lot just from seeing open mics and listening to artists
FIVE - just to repeat what whoever said: LURK MORE. this is a good rule for the internet. I don't know how long you've been reading cm.o but i know i haven't seen a single post from you, get acquainted with the community before coming in and asking for help. it just seems rude otherwise.

OK NOW THIS IS FOR EVERYONE ELSE. chill the fuck out. really. this is why i hate coming here.

Cambridge UK

It's not hate.

Philly, PA, USA

well i was trying to use simple terms everyone would understand