I found two bugs in the program I'd like to point out:

1. On occasion, after opening a saved VGE file (or play a row right after opening one), VGM MM will crash (stopped working). Attempting to re-open the same song will continue to crash it every time, and either creating a new module or opening a different module will fix it.

2. I just encountered this yesterday, but at some point I was editing a song and hit CTRL-Z to undo something I was working on. I got a error message saying something along the lines of "Divide by zero exception", and after hitting OK, I got an overflow error message of some sort. Also, all of the rows were filled up with 0xFFFFFFFF values and other such junk. I'll try to see if I can't reproduce it consistently and report steps to reproduce.

EDIT: Figured it out. If you set the step size to something larger than the pattern size, then try to add notes, it just goes crazy.

Last edited by wazkatango (Mar 24, 2012 8:23 pm)

Russia, Moscow

Thanks for the report.

Is the first bug is also connected to the step size?

No, it's not.

I found out how to reproduce the Ctrl-Z bug:

1. Do an "Advanced" transpose on any note
2. Hit Ctrl-Z

A "Floating point division by zero" error message will pop up, and the program will break.

rochester, ny

the more i use this program, the more i love it. i just wanted to post here to say thanks!

Dallas/Fort Worth, TX

Looks like some great work. Thank you for creating this!

This program might just be my next stop...

Hello here!
I'm making a little genesis demo just 4 fun, looking for a .tfd (fm only / no samples), open to every style, even unfinished music smile
Thanks.

Hey Shiru, I've noticed that when notes are played one after the other very quickly, loud popping sounds occur. Just open up the default instrument, change operator 2's TL to 127, and run the mouse up and down the keyboard to hear what I'm talking about. I've tried messing with the buffer count, size, and overall volume, but it still happens.

Russia, Moscow

That's because you change the level by large step by doing this. It is common problem in digital sound, not related to the editor.

Is it possible to make it so that the next note is not played until the current one's waveform has a zero amplitude then? Wouldn't that stop the popping? Or am I babbling nonsense again?

San Francisco

you can already do that by adjusting envelope speeds, release time, and note placement. ya just gotta play around.

Russia, Moscow

There is no way to detect that the amplitude of a channel is zero. Also, amplitude decay time defined by the ADSR envelope, it easily can be set to seconds or inifinite, and that is actually useful - so even if there would be a way to detect the amplitude, such approach would not work.

I don't see any way to get rid of the popping automatically. As wedanced say, it could be done manually.

Last edited by Shiru (Jun 5, 2012 1:17 am)

Maryland, USA

a

Last edited by Bp103 (Nov 10, 2018 8:53 am)

shanghai
nickmaynard wrote:

the more i use this program, the more i love it. i just wanted to post here to say thanks!

Russia, Moscow

Sorry, such ornaments would require a huge change in the editor, almost making a new one, so no. I'm not even sure when I'll do a minor bug fix release which is certainly needed.

Changes in FM/PSG balance are one of considered things, it is often asked and should be done in the next version.