Bangarang was...I dunno. That annoying rapper girl killed it. There wasn't much on there that was good in my opinion. The Scary Monsters EP though is like, one of my all time favorite albums

Come on though, you have to give this more credit than just dancing.

Frostbyte wrote:

Come on though, you have to give this more credit than just dancing.

I can definitely give it credit, although it's a bit too pop for my tastes.

Chicago IL

i like breakcore

Chicago IL

wait no i dont. maybe. i dunno anymore.

Chicago IL

music is over let's just consume everything as quickly as possible

Melbourne, Australia

TRAP TWENTY TWELVE

.FILTHadelphia
AndrewKilpatrick wrote:

When did I say dance music DIDN'T do all those things? I just said it is more potentially limiting, and limited in reality, than other forms of music. So is Dubstep/Trance/DeathMetal/Folk etc etc, my point with Opeth was just a group who don't give a shit what they sound like and just write with out any preconceptions of what they are or what they should sound like, you can swap their name with any hundreds of chip/metal/indie/pop or hippity hop acts, it's all the same point. I'm not say ALL dance music is limited, though if we are getting into a genre debate, when it gets to a point its not limiting itself it'd be difficult to class as dance.   And I know music is subjective, I was being subjective as it was my opinion

This explanation makes your point much clearer and I agree with you.

NC in the US of America

All music is limited. Otherwise it'd just be a random cacophony of sound. Even noise music is limited. Even atonal music is limited.

SketchMan3 wrote:

All music is limited. Otherwise it'd just be a random cacophony of sound. Even noise music is limited. Even atonal music is limited.

lol, yeah but some styles are far more strict then others. over thinking things a bit much in herrr.

In my opinion there are 2 kinds of dance music in chip. The one that is influenced by modern music (I guess Je Mappelle is one of those artists) and the one that just sounds like chip music you can dance to (you may listen to WeAreTheFuture - Girl Oceanic, here)
But even the most influenced-by-modern-music chipmusic sounds more raw and neat and can't be compared to modern music. I even listen to chip-house sometimes, and I really hate modern house music, i just can't listen to it.
Can't describe it any better, sorry!

shanghai

EDM is basically the term for generic shit electro house kind brostep shit aint it ?

cos if its actually decent electronic (dance) music it would be classiified as what it actually is, ie - techno, tech house, breakbeat, dubstep etc etc

basically if its uninspired shit they play on the radio (and paris hilton has probably got on her playlist) then it can be classified as EDM to let us know that its utter rubbish

TRUTHS

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK
SketchMan3 wrote:

Yes, but we're talking about a relative scale of limits under the moniker "music".

edit.

Last edited by 9H05T (Aug 22, 2012 7:43 pm)

São Paulo, Brazil
Decktonic wrote:

EDM as a term was around long before Skrillex. I can't pinpoint when it was invented but I can promise that much.

Ok, but anyway: since I was a kid, "dance music" was synonymous of electronic music. So, at least for me, "electronic dance music" is redundant.

Chicago
Stern Fucking Zeit wrote:

We make dance music.

the two-step and the hardcore dance