IL, US

we have a statement in the rues that already allows for threads to be closed and/or removed at the staff's discretion so probably no new rues needed, unless we add something about release hype threads...

Tokyo, Japan
e.s.c. wrote:

we have a statement in the rues that already allows for threads to be closed and/or removed at the staff's discretion so probably no new rues needed, unless we add something about release hype threads...

With all due respect then, I think the staff might need to be a bit more active with the moderation. Particularly with the types of content light threads I mentioned earlier or topics which are already covered in faqs.

Also moderation doesn't have to be a one way street, celcius's rather deft "I'm closing this thread because of x, pm me if you think differently" works well and is a far cry from the "my site my rules" environment everyone seems a bit gunshy of.

IL, US

did you miss my previous post? smile i've been playing diablo III more than paying attention to this site since i got back from new york... i know a bunch of the other guys are pretty busy as well, though with better reasons (fatherhood, etc).. so like i said, expect me to be more active at least... anticipating the first time someone freaks out at me for closing a thread soon (its been a few months)...

Tokyo, Japan

Absolutely! Diabalo 3 is apparently a good reason to take a bit of time off. I agree, several mods seem inactive / busy, a couple of fresh ones might be in order to help with the influx of new users?

Gosford, Australia
Lazerbeat wrote:

Absolutely! Diabalo 3 is apparently a good reason to take a bit of time off. I agree, several mods seem inactive / busy, a couple of fresh ones might be in order to help with the influx of new users?

how subtle!

but seriously why aren't you already a moderator here? i mean, i always assumed you were but then i've never seen you close any threads or anything.

Last edited by Victory Road (Jun 28, 2012 5:11 am)

vancouver, canada

I made this suggestion in another thread, but providing concise links to FAQs, etiquette and common tutorials within plain view of newer users' screens would be a super helpful solution.  these links could stay hidden via a persistent cookie or per-user database setting, or after certain criteria have been met (i.e. you won't see them after you've made at least 3 posts, and/or have been a user for more than a week).

I think the above features are important because i feel it would do a lot to ease the avoidable friction and hostility between veterans and noobs.  sure, it can be entertaining to watch unfold, and it can feel good being in the ingroup of veterans, but it's a kind of dynamic that i think could be toned down a whole lot.

the reason the noobs are flooding in with dumb questions and topics is because the interface of this site isn't quite at the point yet where they can be pointed to this information with ease.  once they sign up and log in, bam - they see a forum with a bunch of topics, but not much guidance on how one should ease oneself into this community.  being a new user is like feeling around in a pitch-dark hall and being told to find a way past the locked door at the end by locating a key somewhere on the floor.

for instance, can one really blame a new user that disregards the unnatural and untaught expectation to use the search bar to query for answers, as the first step to interacting with a community?  the first instinct, especially in a forum-centric site like this, is to make a post, because that's the primary unit of community interaction on a forum. 

don't get me wrong, i already love where cm.org has been taken so far.  but some more work needs to be done, on a user interface level, to make it truly helpful for those who genuinely and innocently want a helping hand.  i have a background in web development and design (though who doesn't?), so i'm not just talking out of my ass (i hope).  in fact i'm willing to whip up a couple of HTML prototypes of a collapsible "new users panel" if people are interested.

of course, all of what i just said presupposes there's even a shared interest in being helpful to new users in the first place.  if there isn't, then well, there's not much point in complaining that new users aren't really jiving with how things are done around here.

vancouver, canada

also, i will readily admit that i've posted my fair share of snarky trolly comments around here.  nothing wrong with Lazerbeat's suggestion to dial it back some -- it's always helpful to have a periodic reminder.  so i'll keep that in mind. smile

vancouver, canada

you know what?  rather than just describe it, i decided to spend the last hour and a half quickly throwing together a working prototype of my idea of a panel for new users.  check it:

http://waveformtown.com/test/chipmusic/ … panel.html

imagine something like this sitting near the top of the cm.org home page.  you could either collapse it, or hide the whole thing forever, or remove it automatically after X # of posts, or whatever. 

my point is, whatever you can do up front to effectively guide users into being good citizens here can help to reduce unwanted forum pollution.

Last edited by bryface (Jun 28, 2012 9:52 am)

uhajdafdfdfa

one person's noise is another person's signal unfortunately

No CC.
No teaser threads.

People are quite capable of putting the effort in themselves or there wouldn't be a community in the first place.

Abandoned on Fire
bryface wrote:

you know what?  rather than just describe it, i decided to spend the last hour and a half quickly throwing together a working prototype of my idea of a panel for new users.  check it:

imagine something like this sitting near the top of the cm.org home page.  you could either collapse it, or hide the whole thing forever, or remove it automatically after X # of posts, or whatever. 

my point is, whatever you can do up front to effectively guide users into being good citizens here can help to reduce unwanted forum pollution.

This is a pretty slick solution.

bryface wrote:

I'm clicking like mad on that bottom right button and nothing is happening.
This is pretty cool. Not so much indoctrination, not so much blind chaos. A nice middle road.

Harrisonburg, Virginia

Yeah, that's definitely a better solution than having to sift through this forum (search function or not) to find help when you first join.

Unsubscribe

Maybe make HIDE THREAD an option on users accounts. Its pretty easy to identify a turdy thread by sight.

make interesting content

post it

Abandoned on Fire
herr_prof wrote:

Maybe make HIDE THREAD an option on users accounts. Its pretty easy to identify a turdy thread by sight.

It would be awesome if the thread starter could see how many users have hidden it.  Passive-aggresive-fuck-you smile