Spokane, Washington

If the song sounds pretty good from the start I will just finish it in one sitting really, maybe go back and touch things up a little later. Don't like to lose the groove ya know?!?

Personally, I think it's worth it. I definitely do not like pumping out material quickly myself. I like to believe that at least with my own music there's a strong reasoning behind every single note and sound-if it takes a long time to develop that than I'll wait and keep working towards that feeling. However, this leads to a long time of not putting out material. It's a double edged sword. However, I would much rather put out material that I am 100% behind in every way versus having something out that I would always second guess when I listen to it again. But that's just my neuroticism talking. I've done the RPM Challenge before and I'd really like to try something like the Weekly Beats thing, but something about that just terrifies me at the moment. I need to muster up the courage to just do it one day.

Last edited by an0va (Jul 8, 2012 8:26 am)

AANABAY01

i spend a lot of time staring at a tracker and wondering why i'm not changing notes. but no it's not worth it

i am a failure

if i was more rock'n'roll i'd just keep all my mistakes

Holland

Depends on the song but most work is in making instruments any way, so when I'm finally happy about the sound, the song hasn't even started yet. Most of the the time making a song only lasts 3-4 hours.

Gosford, Australia

is it weekly beats? y/n

Y - rush it because chances are it's 11pm on sunday night and there's no way i'm missing a week now that i've gotten this far

N - if i have the time to put a lot of effort into something i will use the majority of that time wishing i had a new computer and that BFD2 didn't use every last scrap of RAM available.

i pretty much only ever use LSDJ while travelling or in bed so any time and effort spent is a bit of a blur really, heh.

My Igloo
an0va wrote:

Personally, I think it's worth it. I definitely do not like pumping out material quickly myself. I like to believe that at least with my own music there's a strong reasoning behind every single note and sound-if it takes a long time to develop that than I'll wait and keep working towards that feeling. However, this leads to a long time of not putting out material. It's a double edged sword. However, I would much rather put out material that I am 100% behind in every way versus having something out that I would always second guess when I listen to it again. But that's just my neuroticism talking. I've done the RPM Challenge before and I'd really like to try something like the Weekly Beats thing, but something about that just terrifies me at the moment. I need to muster up the courage to just do it one day.

I feel pretty much exactly like you do on this subject (especially about the being "behind your own music" part). I'm also my own worst    
critic which means that I'm looking for errors/dislikes all the time...pretty time consuming and exhausting :C I'm also terrified of trying something like an OHC/weeklybeats style of writing...What if my mind goes blank,hahaha. All in all, I'm a pretty damn slow producer I guess ( that's atleast what I understand comparing myself to others). I spend anything between a week to a year on a song, or even longer. Of course not in effective writing time but as a way of digest what to do next with the piece...I don't know, something like that!?

Edit: To answer the question btw,haha. Yes, I think it's worth spending some time on songs. I want to belive that people can tell if I put some effort into it or not. Over and out!

Last edited by PolarBirds (Jul 8, 2012 2:35 pm)

Gosford, Australia

If nothing else, weeklybeats has helped me practice coming up with a lot of ideas really quickly, and then finding a good one to roll with for an hour just to see what happens.

My Igloo
Victory Road wrote:

If nothing else, weeklybeats has helped me practice coming up with a lot of ideas really quickly, and then finding a good one to roll with for an hour just to see what happens.

Yeah, that's the only reason why I would torture myself doing something like weeklybeats smile It would be awesome to just throw something together and roll with it.  It's probably benificial in many ways to do something under time pressure and a good way to practice music. Well, after I'm done with my current project I'll consider it again I think.

Brighton/Southampton
Frostbyte wrote:

For me the graph is the opposite way around

buffalo, NY
Fearofdark wrote:
Frostbyte wrote:

For me the graph is the opposite way around

there's a lot of things wrong with that graph.

Comic sans is the biggest thing wrong with it, I believe

maybe we should change this place to frostbyte dot org

Having a title exempts that graph from a lot of scrutiny.

buffalo, NY
MegaMantra wrote:

even the title hurts me a little inside

Unsubscribe

Ive finished really good so0ngs after working on them for two years on and off. That being said cutting the chord on something stillborn can be valid too.

danimal cannon wrote:
MegaMantra wrote:

even the title hurts me a little inside

Can't imagine why, it's basically the personal for of the thread title...how else could you word it?