los angeles

im shiroshii i've been into chipmusic since i was 10 i make idm now

Brisbane

Hey I'm Matt. not a musician. I did a country and bluegrass radio show for 5 years until I had Dot.AY, godinpants, and Cheap Shot on as guests. They ruined me (or enlightened me)

NYC, NY

Hey, I'm Tucker.  Follower of the scene since 2005, finally off my ass and digging into tunecrafting in 2012.  Am in a lofi-chip hybrid duo with friend King Photon under the duo name Iniphiles

Glomag handed me a hotdog at a BBQ at Mark DeNardo's apartment once.

EDIT: Oh, right.  Shameless self promotion: Our first album, assembled and recorded in 24 hours Iniphiles - Shoegaze of the Singularity

Last edited by TWD Industries (Jul 24, 2012 8:50 pm)

Jonesboro, Arkansas

Hello. I'm Brick Breaker.

Some of you may already know my name from the recent Chiptunes = WIN compilation, where I had decided to give the group a track of mine before I realized how big the project even was. So, after being thrown into the genre a bit over my head (pun intended), I've gotten some healthy exposure to chipmusic and EDM production in general.

I'm fifteen years old, but I spent my youth playing secondhand Super Nintendo and Gameboy consoles rather than Gamecube, Xbox, and PS2. I've always been a fan of retro game music and the 8-bit aesthetic, but never knew there was such a following until a few years ago. Now, with my more recent involvement in actual production and design, I've taken a much larger interest in the low-res and chip genre.

As well, not to sound like a massive hipster douche, but with the explosion of young wannabe electronic music makers out there it's refreshing to be a part of a movement that isn't cluttered with kids my age using Garage Band to make 'dubst3p'. Also, the fact that this genre has not yet been completely raped of all credibility by mainstream pop music is also very reassuring.

So yeah, I've gotten some pretty positive response from the community. I'm currently doing a collab with Pete Lepley, also know as Phonetic Hero, so that's cool, too.

I dunno.

Chiptunes and stuff, man.

Last edited by BrickBRKer (Jul 26, 2012 3:10 am)

NC in the US of America
BrickBRKer wrote:

Also, the fact that this genre has not yet been completely raped of all credibility by mainstream pop music is also very reassuring.

You better hurry, because "video game sounds" are all over the place in mainstream pop music. It's only a matter of time until one of them gets ahold of an actual Gameboy or NES or Atari or whathaveu

Parallelis wrote:
Nadia wrote:

Hi, I'm Jess. I like Chipmusic a whole lot so decided to join this website.

hey i'm jess as well. but with an 'e' at the end. welcome to cm.o!

I sometimes have an 'ica' at the end, but never an 'e'. Thanks! smile

Gosford, Australia
Nadia wrote:

I sometimes have an 'ica' at the end, but never an 'e'. Thanks! smile

your avatar scared me because i thought it was static until just now
that is all.

Austin, Texas
SketchMan3 wrote:
BrickBRKer wrote:

Also, the fact that this genre has not yet been completely raped of all credibility by mainstream pop music is also very reassuring.

You better hurry, because "video game sounds" are all over the place in mainstream pop music. It's only a matter of time until one of them gets ahold of an actual Gameboy or NES or Atari or whathaveu

I think we're pretty safe from this for the foreseeable future.

Look at the "mainstream" breakouts from chiptune, who are genre blending: acts like Anamanaguchi and Sabrepulse are getting a lot of success outside of the community and the standard fan base, because they have a way to appeal to people who are put off by a purely chip-centric arrangement and performance.

From the other end, we have acts who bank on the idea of "the 8-bit sound," like everyone's favorite group, Crystal Castles. tongue

Their name is a boring reference lifted direct from an older game without any kind of clever innovation. Their æsthetic is confrontational and lo-fi. Their actual sounds are lifted samples that they aren't using to anywhere near their full potential. I think in the press somewhere, they said they used an Elekom SIDStation, but those spectrograms that were floating around during the litigious period with Covox, et. al. clearly show that they were clips of MP3s looped into beats.

My point with all this is that for a "mainstream" producer to "cash in" on "the 8-bit sound," it's waaay easier to just lift samples than to dick around with original hardware, and the appeal of a purely chip arrangement has yet to grow into a widespread "mainstream" audience.

Last edited by Telerophon (Jul 26, 2012 3:25 pm)

Hey there, everyone; the names M. C. -- Merit Celaire! Some of you might know me from other videogame music venues, the majority of you might not. I'm still getting myself situated around these parts, but what I can tell you is that for the past few years, I've been busy doing SNES-style arrangements of modern Mario series' music tunes, but more on that in another post later. I also like NES-style music and I've yet to learn how the Game Boy style of music is being done.

Also, I look forward to see about uploading my stuff around these parts in the near future. Looking forward to being a part of this community. Take care, all!

Sweden

Hi!

I was engaged in micromusic.net

Now I've found my way here, I hope we all will be friends... big_smile

- t

uhajdafdfdfa

ZOMG it is tobiah a real chiptune hero

welcome You are great Welcome

i hope everyon realises how great you are

hey y'all. name is Raheem, I record music as Random or Mega Ran. I know a good amount of you, and I'm not sure why it took me so long to join up. Howdy!

For those that don't know, I record chip-hop over 8 bit samples as Mega Ran...mostly Megaman samples, but there are plenty of others.... I have a few albums out, you can see/hear those at

megaranmusic.com

I look forward to some cool discussions. Peace out!

Mega Ran

NC in the US of America

W-w-w-welcome MegaRan! big_smile Love your stuff. "Grow Up" is my theme song. smile

smile awesome! so glad to hear that!

Hello
I am newbie here. I am from India. My name is Steven. You can also Call me Steve as my every friend call me with this name. I am Engineer by profession. Hope i'll enjoy my Stay & have a great  time Here.
Good to be Here.

Vermont, USA

Hey guys, Names Dylan. Despite my name, I'm a dude. Trying to do some chiptune/punk stuff with guitars and gameboys, but more on that later. Looking forward to the fun! See ya round!