Matthew Joseph Payne
GoingHam wrote:

Whoops your a bit too late, I literally just got done soldered my own Y cable.
Too my surprise it seems to be working quite swimmingly.
What/Who are you quoting?

Who cares who he's quoting? He's right. The only reason it's working at all is because your two gameboys presumably have the same impedance. There's a potential for damage here, which you wouldn't notice until it was too late. Try this: turn the volume all the way up on both gameboys, and plug headphones into only one. Play music on the one WITH headphones. What happens?

uhajdafdfdfa
GoingHam wrote:
ant1 wrote:

you should not mix with simple Y splitters like this. it is designed for splitting not for mixing. it may work in some cases but it is a pretty bad idea

"Anything that can be hooked-up wrong, will be. You-know-who said that, and she was right. A wye-connector used to split a signal into two lines is being used properly; a wye-connector used to mix two signals into one is being abused and may even damage the equipment involved.

Here is the rule: Outputs are low impedance and must only be connected to high impedance inputs -- never, never tie two outputs directly together -- never. If you do, then each output tries to drive the very low impedance of the other, forcing both outputs into current-limit and possible damage. As a minimum, severe signal loss results."

Whoops your a bit too late, I literally just got done soldered my own Y cable.
Too my surprise it seems to be working quite swimmingly.
What/Who are you quoting?

www.rane.com/pdf/ranenotes/Why_Not_Wye.pdf

i also saw some on wikipedia about it but i can't find it any more. i do not really understand electronics myself i am just passing on what i have heard

if it works for you then carry on i gues? smile

~~~~~

edit: supposedly you can turn this into a basic passive mixer just by adding two resistors. if you are a dab hand at soldering maybe that will be no problem for you. i don't know what values you'd have to use though

Last edited by ant1 (Jul 27, 2012 4:14 pm)

Don't, you can really fuck up your gameboys. And don't reverse a headphone splitter either! That'll send a signal back into your gameboys and can mess it up real bad. Either use a mixer, or there's a way to solder resistors to the outputs to connect the signals safely, but it makes it pretty quiet. But you can use a headphone amp. I only know this because Kedromelon just did this haha. Ask him for advice smile

Chicago

Got it don't use the Y cable just to be safe.

kineticturtle wrote:

Try this: turn the volume all the way up on both gameboys, and plug headphones into only one. Play music on the one WITH headphones. What happens?

Wait.. wut?
How can I plug in headphones into the gameboy when the gameboys are connected to the Y cable?

Matthew Joseph Payne

oh, I guess I assumed you had an extra prosound jack installed.

Of course this is even worse, since you're running an amplified signal back through another amplifier.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I use a Y cable every once in a while. My speakers are usually fine for composing most of the time. If I'm composing with a piano, I use portable speakers in each prosounded gameboy. Surprisingly they can compete in volume with the piano if I'm going all out.
But also, since I'm more and more involved with integrating my other hardware with 2xlsdj, I have to use my mixer. Of course I'm also now programming other things so it's a must with all the MIDI I got going everywhere now.

Anyway, composing in 2xlsdj isn't that hard. Just get in the mindset that it's all one big lsdj .sav. I've gotten so used to the process, I walk around with one gameboy composing one half while knowing exactly what is/will be on the other gameboy.
One thing i do to prepare a song is, get an idea of the percussion rhythm and split it between both gameboys. For instance, I like to double up snares with a sampled one, so some typical songs end up like this:

Master:
wav: snare sample on 4 and C
noi: closed hat sequence and other percussionals
Slave:
wav: kick and more sampled percussion
noi: open hat and snare

This kind of gives me the rhythm even when i'm composing on one gameboy. Of course there's still other stuff going on like typical lsdj songs, I'm juggling bass in between them and cramming and stuff. But it helps to percieve hocketing.

Only other ideas to give out is to work with tuning. There's a lot more options for combining sounds too. A pulse 25% and 50% (an octave higher) lead sounds great. Especially if you detune one of them. Like I did in Aphelion, you can make them both play at the same time and have one do response. There's just a lot of new ways to get tiny things out of the program. Experimenting combing wav and pulse sounds, chorus echoes, harmonies, and chords, etc. these are things you've maybe done in 1xlsdj but now have some more freedom and space to do in 2x.

Hope something out of this helps in some way. tongue

Detroit, Michigan

Thanks for the ideas smile

Russian Fedration. Moscow City

You can record each GB then fix the sound in abletone live as I made it today

brooklyn
Frostbyte wrote:

Don't, you can really fuck up your gameboys. And don't reverse a headphone splitter either! That'll send a signal back into your gameboys and can mess it up real bad. Either use a mixer, or there's a way to solder resistors to the outputs to connect the signals safely, but it makes it pretty quiet. But you can use a headphone amp. I only know this because Kedromelon just did this haha. Ask him for advice smile

yup, making a passive summing circuit is really easy.  nothing but jacks and resistors, it causes loss in amplitude, so I use a cheap headphone amp after the summing circuit to boost it back up.  you also could just build a headphone amp circuit into it, or just build a stereo summing amplifier using just resistors and two operational amplifiers. (i think...)

EDIT: you can't "REALLY" mess them up, like frosty said, but it ain't good.  it's not like they're gonna explode or anything.

Last edited by Kedromelon (Jul 27, 2012 9:42 pm)

São Paulo, Brazil

I do exactly like roboctopus and jellaba. Three years ago I used to use 2 DMG's at the same time, and found out that I didn't work on each song as much as I would with only one DMG.

But I only add one or two more channels on the second Game Boy.

São Paulo, Brazil

BTW, do you perform with Live Mode on both DMG's, or song mode in one /  live mode in the other, etc?

im waiting for the day someone pulls off a xaimus on gameboys

the idea of using extrz gameboys for effects is kinda cool, but also a staple in bejeh, reminds me of those guys that are like, nahhhhhhhh new music sucks, keep with the "classics" , f that, exploit that tasinuiuiuiu

Italy

This may sound REALLY dumb but when I have to compose on 2xlsdj, I sync with a link cable, then
~ I put on my earphones plugged into the first gameboy
~ I put on my headphones plugged into the second gameboy

No jokes, it works and I find it comfortable

Matthew Joseph Payne

The only track I've ever written on two gameboys was for DMG and GBC, and it used each console's strengths, aside from the GBC's sheer speed.

http://chipmusic.org/kineticturtle/musi … -challenge

Samples were all on the GBC side, bass was all on the DMG side, etc etc.

While putting effects on one console is one thing, using the extra channels to do stereo effects is much more classy - you can get nice sweeping pans with some tricky E command work.

NC in the US of America
kineticturtle wrote:

you can get nice sweeping pans with some tricky E command work.

OH YEAH! I've been wanting to try that for the longest!

Chicago
PULSELOOPER wrote:

BTW, do you perform with Live Mode on both DMG's, or song mode in one /  live mode in the other, etc?

Live on both when using the mixer.