The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
Frostbyte wrote:
Auxcide wrote:

In all honesty, you don't need to know Trey's background to know how good and awesome his music is.

Also, for the record, I never listened to any 2xlsdj song before I started it. I'll have to go find those songs. tongue

Treyfrey - Recover
Treyfrey - Synapse
IAYD - When I Sleep, My Heart Speaks (EC Insomniac RMX)

Sweet. Good quality music to listen to! Thanks, Frostlad! If only everyone had such taste.

Canada

This has been a very unwelcoming experience,

I was simply stating my own opinions on music,

and asking for general advice for seeking other music I might enjoy,

even stating that it preferably not be made with the DMG console,

however it would seem that the LSDJ sound is all this community is concerned about,

to the point they have to rub it in others faces and call them stupid for not agreeing with the others opinions about these LSDJ artists.

I think you all need a good hard look in the mirror to find out who the troll is, people have different opinions and views we all aren't the same, that is what makes the world great.

I hope chipmusic.org expands in the future to cover more areas of the field of chip music.

EDIT: Not aimed at the people who were actually kind and took the time to read my posts and understand the direction I was coming from. You know who you are I hope smile

Last edited by Lazare (Aug 1, 2012 7:10 am)

SketchMan3 wrote:

No offense, your stuff is GREAT, but there's so much over-stimulation and hyper-activity in your music that I wouldn't exactly call it "melodic", lol. It takes too much effort to figure out where the melody is coming from and where it's going. Not saying that's a bad thing. big_smile It's not exactly easy listening, though, lol.

Everybody has their own idea of melodic music. I think what this guy is looking for is music that is focused more on melody, with some good beats thrown in to support the melody, rather than getting the club crunk with hot beats and "oh, let's throw two measures of melody in there so people don't get bored".

lol no i know man, i was mostly joking haha

No problem Auxcide smile And I thought we agreed on Frostman!

Lazare wrote:

however it would seem that the LSDJ sound is all this community is concerned about,

to the point they have to rub it in others faces and call them stupid for not agreeing with the others opinions about these LSDJ artists.

I think you all need a good hard look in the mirror to find out who the troll is, people have different opinions and views we all aren't the same, that is what makes the world great.

I hope chipmusic.org expands in the future to cover more areas of the field of chip music.

there's obviously more than just LSDJ music dude. Problem is, you're looking at LSDJ arists hahahaha

It's fine if you don't wanna listen to gameboys make sounds, but don't call another artist amateur. that's all  smile

Savannah, Georgia
Frostbyte wrote:
Lazare wrote:

there's obviously more than just LSDJ music dude. Problem is, you're looking at LSDJ arists hahahaha

It's fine if you don't wanna listen to gameboys make sounds, but don't call another artist amateur. that's all  smile

couldn't have said it any better.

Sydney, NSW

Go and look up amiga/c64 demoscene music. It's usually not very uncey, and has a totally distinct non-dmg sound to it. That should be just what you're looking for!

BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

FWIW: i dont think that asking for advice on finding chiptune music on a chiptune forum is really flame-worthy. it may be difficult for some of the newer members to understand, but there was a lot of chiptune before 4-on-the-floor gameboy unce style invaded everything, and just because he doesn't like some of the artists that you think are godlike doesn't make him an idiot or a troll.

James hits the nail right on the head yet again.

Lazare wrote:

Okay, I came into this thread calm and collected, trying not to throw any unneeded shit in the mix. But wow.

NC in the US of America
Frostbyte wrote:

What's upsetting is that you don't actually realize how much work Treyfrey has put into his music. You've never talked to him, you've never known what he's like, and you've obviously never analysed the technical side of the music he makes. He's spent years building up his technical prowess that blows any of us other DMG composers away. There are things he does with his DMG that NOBODY else does. NOBODY. Listen to Push On. There's tricks and synths in that song that I've been studying since it's been released, and I'm still pretty lost on how they can be made. He does this all while keeping a danceable rhythm and a catchy melody. I don't know how his CPUs handle the stuff he throws at them. But really, compare a Trey song to anyone else's. You'll realize the sick amount of strange and ridiculously complex sound design his stuff has.

Trey's also one of the reasons that people started syncing 2 gameboys together. He posted Recovery on 8bc a long time ago. That song and Electric Children's IAYD remix made 2xLSDJ popular. He's a legend, and no, he doesn't sound like other artists. You haven't actually listened to what he does. That's why you're being harassed, you're shitting all over people's favorite artists and artists that made huge breakthroughs with chipmusic.

And you're obviously not looking hard enough if you think chipmusic is only gameboys.

The amount of work someone puts into polishing their sound and the technical aspects of it are only important to other musicians and does not directly correlate to whether or not the average listener will like it or not. Maybe Trey's melody really DOES sound amateurish, and we're just too biased to see? yikes I shudder at the thought. Hard work and effort and experience does not equal "the best sound ever for everybody and death to those who think otherwise".

Personally, while I don't see Trey's music as sounding amateurish, it certainly doesn't appeal to me as much as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozarts FIRST composition when he was 6. One's taste depends on one's experience, and I wouldn't try to judge someone because they don't like what I like (unless they like Rebecca Black and Justin Beiber).

Edit: Okay, Trey's music is pretty dece. I'm not going to lie. I just heard some sick arps and it just took me away. Still, I listen to everything with a critical ear: I'm not going to fool myself into being predisposed to call something "awesome" just because it's different/impressive at first listen.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Aug 1, 2012 7:17 am)

Melbourne, Australia
Lazare wrote:

EDIT: Not aimed at the people who were actually kind and took the time to read my posts and understand the direction I was coming from. You know who you are I hope smile

Okay, so I'm going to point out your problem right now. Your problem is not that you are coming from an "alternative viewpoint" or that you like things other than LSDJ. Nor is it that this forum is LSDJ-centric or elitist. The problem is that you come off as an arrogant dick. You call treyfrey "amateurish" when you really don't understand the complexity of what he does. Sure, it might not be your cup of tea, and it may not help in answering your original question - but your response was downright rude. Combined with the fact that you didn't follow the rules when posting the topic, used those annoying pictures within your posts - and the fact that all this thread boils down to is that you are too lazy to research and find artists that you like - then you might be able to appreciate why people might have a problem with you.

Last edited by Derris-Kharlan (Aug 1, 2012 7:18 am)

NC in the US of America

To be fair, he did say "just a little amateurish"[emphasis added]

But I just realized the next line seems to be implying that Gameboy sounds inherently amateurish >={

Melbourne, Australia
SketchMan3 wrote:

To be fair, he did say "just a little amateurish"[emphasis added]

But I just realized the next line seems to be implying that Gameboy sounds inherently amateurish >={

My point is that had he come to this thread from a position of humility he would not have started the shitstorm that this thread became.

Why do I still post on chip forums...

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

(It's Frostlad and you'll like it!)

Srsly. +1 to all the artists people suggested. Especially Aeros saying me. tongue

And D-K summed it up for me. Trey is not amateurish. You may not like his music but that doesn't make him an amateur. It just means he doesn't appeal to you.

Last edited by Auxcide (Aug 1, 2012 7:22 am)

SketchMan3 wrote:
Frostbyte wrote:

What's upsetting is that you don't actually realize how much work Treyfrey has put into his music. You've never talked to him, you've never known what he's like, and you've obviously never analysed the technical side of the music he makes. He's spent years building up his technical prowess that blows any of us other DMG composers away. There are things he does with his DMG that NOBODY else does. NOBODY. Listen to Push On. There's tricks and synths in that song that I've been studying since it's been released, and I'm still pretty lost on how they can be made. He does this all while keeping a danceable rhythm and a catchy melody. I don't know how his CPUs handle the stuff he throws at them. But really, compare a Trey song to anyone else's. You'll realize the sick amount of strange and ridiculously complex sound design his stuff has.

Trey's also one of the reasons that people started syncing 2 gameboys together. He posted Recovery on 8bc a long time ago. That song and Electric Children's IAYD remix made 2xLSDJ popular. He's a legend, and no, he doesn't sound like other artists. You haven't actually listened to what he does. That's why you're being harassed, you're shitting all over people's favorite artists and artists that made huge breakthroughs with chipmusic.

And you're obviously not looking hard enough if you think chipmusic is only gameboys.

The amount of work someone puts into polishing their sound and the technical aspects of it are only important to other musicians and does not directly correlate to whether or not the average listener will like it or not. Maybe Trey's melody really DOES sound amateurish, and we're just too biased to see? yikes I shudder at the thought. Hard work and effort and experience does not equal "the best sound ever for everybody and death to those who think otherwise".

Personally, while I don't see Trey's music as sounding amateurish, it certainly doesn't appeal to me as much as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozarts FIRST composition when he was 6. One's taste depends on one's experience, and I wouldn't try to judge someone because they don't like what I like (unless they like Rebecca Black and Justin Beiber).

Edit: Okay, Trey's music is pretty dece. I'm not going to lie. I just heard some sick arps and it just took me away. Still, I listen to everything with a critical ear: I'm not going to fool myself into being predisposed to call something "awesome" just because it's different/impressive at first listen.

I mean, if you look at it in theory, his stuff is pretty simple. Lots of pentatonics, sticking to the chords, and very similar basslines. But they're really catchy. Amateur just implies that he sucks. And no, lots of time doesn't equal instant awesome, there are lots of artists that I know of who've spent years on their music, and they just don't do it for me. But, you cannot deny that Trey isn't just some random no0b. Doesn't deserve the amateurish part of it.

Forest Maze
Lazare wrote:

Also treyfrey is all right, but just a little amateurish, I'm looking for not so much of the straight game boy sound if that is possible, I respect all the work and everything that goes into it especially since I couldn't begin to comprehend it, but it's just not that exciting to me.

You guys all need to read shit,

he clearly states he has respect for all the work trey puts into his stuff and can't comprehend it, but he just doesn't enjoy it.

Why's that so bad?

he called basically the spearhead of LSDJ sound design an amateur

if he had respect for the work he puts into the stuff, he wouldn't start off by saying he's an amateur haha. That's saying "I know he tries hard but he still sounds like some whack-ass noob".

Forest Maze
Frostbyte wrote:

he called basically the spearhead of LSDJ sound design an amateur

if he had respect for the work he puts into the stuff, he wouldn't start off by saying he's an amateur haha. That's saying "I know he tries hard but he still sounds like some whack-ass noob".

Pretty sure this guy mentioned several times he wasn't looking for LSDJ/game boy artists

NC in the US of America
NUCLACE wrote:
Lazare wrote:

Also treyfrey is all right, but just a little amateurish, I'm looking for not so much of the straight game boy sound if that is possible, I respect all the work and everything that goes into it especially since I couldn't begin to comprehend it, but it's just not that exciting to me.

You guys all need to read shit,

he clearly states he has respect for all the work trey puts into his stuff and can't comprehend it, but he just doesn't enjoy it.

Why's that so bad?

To be fair, everyone did repeatedly point out the fact that he doesn't understand it.

I did not realize that "amateurish" had such a bad connotation. I've heard plenty of amateurish stuff that I liked. Indie musicians who "have it" but don't always "get it". Now I understand more fully why there was such a powerful response to Lazzie's statements.

Now let me hush. You know what they say: Judge not, lest ye be judged.