Austin, Texas
e.s.c. wrote:
Telerophon wrote:

(I didn't read it because the thread title sounds absolutely dumb. "Less Flavor in Food?" "Less Stimulation in Sex?" "Less Words in Literature?")

yeah, but given his first post, what would you have renamed it to? if we can pick a better name, ill change it again

I didn't realize this was an already improved title, it must have been absolutely horrid before. neutral

I didn't mean to question your judgement as a moderator, either. Honestly, this thread is such a clusterfuck that I don't think I could even attempt to encapsulate what Lazare is trying to ask for with his "melodic chip-fusion music without repetitive rhythms" larking.

"Diverse Tonality in Chip Music?" Even that is too vague. I don't know. I'd say "Chip Music for The Illiterate," but that's kind of pointed. roll

I'm really not even trying to be mean, but the Lazare posts I've seen really are characterized by the guy coming into a niche community and demanding seemingly in all seriousness to know why its conventions differ from more mainstream music—an ignorant question that belies both a lack of personal interest or research, and a flagrant disregard for older traditions in demoscene, homebrew, micromusic, hacker culture, et. al. that are still influencing parts of the "chip sound" today.

I think it's pretty obvious that there are many different platforms available to approach making "true" chip music, and running around saying "Why is everyone using a DMG ughhh" doesn't take into account reasons for it's popularity—actively developed and highly flexible software, relative inexpense, stereo output… there are a lot of compelling draws to the DMG.

Anyway, that opens another can of worms, which is the mainstream appeal of chiptune and "the chip sound" to laypersons who do not find the creation process interesting—which is what I assume we have here.

EDIT: Also, I mean, fucking ponies.

Last edited by Telerophon (Aug 2, 2012 1:49 am)

London, Ontario

guys blipfest is dead! sad

Forest Maze

For the people who still might not understand this thread,

here's an example of a typical Lazare thread, on everybody's favorite website.

https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/26247869

The Bronx

There, I fixed the thread title.

IL, US

yeah, that one work ok for everyone? wink

Austin, Texas

No complaints. tongue

EDIT:

NUCLACE wrote:

For the people who still might not understand this thread,

here's an example of a typical Lazare thread, on everybody's favorite website.

https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/26247869

Ho-Ho-hoooooleeeee shit hahhahah this is the best.

"THIS THREAD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MLP"

*Puts a pony picture in every post*

Last edited by Telerophon (Aug 2, 2012 2:09 am)

Philly, PA, USA

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Lazare tribute compilation

Austin, Texas

NUCLACE already made the first track!

Forest Maze
Frostbyte wrote:

Lazare tribute compilation

melody driven, deep, pony, synthpop.

sure why the fuck not.

BOSTON

instant bandcamp best seller

(seriously, what is it with that site and brony dubstep????)

not jophish anymore

Lazare, go back to /mu/ where you belong.

Brunswick, GA USA
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

(seriously, what is it with that site and brony dubstep????)

I thought you were joking so I checked the best sellers list and then reached page 2.

What I found reminds me of ...  whatever Sylvanian Families is, except with uncleared MLP voice samples and uncleared loops for beats (and a lot less skill with editing.)

Also this thread can be closed anytime because the OP was answered.

Last edited by chunter (Aug 2, 2012 2:40 am)

BOSTON

for a while the whole top 10 was brony dubstep (well there was one brony mandolin album...) and furry electrohouse and trance. and that zelda dubstep album. sweet furry jesus.

Brunswick, GA USA

It's amazing what people will do for a sense of personal identity.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
chunter wrote:

What I found reminds me of ...  whatever Sylvanian Families is, except with uncleared MLP voice samples and uncleared loops for beats (and a lot less skill with editing.)

Off-topic derailment, but brony music is usually made by kids who have just started to learn how to make music, much like a lot of the terrible music that new chiptune artists (or artists from any genre, really) put out. Not being apologetic, since most of the brony music that gets put out is repetitive, unlicensed, and generally terrible. There are a few good ones out there, though.

But yeah, fucking ponies.

EDIT: And clearly, not all new chip artists are terrible, I'm just talking about the releases that new artists put out just to have a release out.

Last edited by Russellian (Aug 2, 2012 3:17 am)