Lexington, KY

As I've played my last several live shows, I've noticed that my low end knobs on my mixer hardly affect my sound. (I'm running LSDJ exclusively)
My bass lines and even my kicks are sitting much more within the typical 'low-mid' range and I'm wondering, how can I get some of those lower frequencies? I'm open to tricks, equipment, modification, whatever!

Add C-2's to your songs.
Grtz capt. obvious

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Hm. What mixer you sporting? My ub802 gets great low end.

Detroit, Michigan

double up ur bass lines with a pulse channel (harmonize with a 50% pulse). If ur doing pulse kicks try doing wav kicks. Just trial and error

Last edited by snesei (Aug 9, 2012 5:09 pm)

Lexington, KY

Well, I'm already throwing down so very low octave material. 2nd octave wavs and pu kicks, aplenty. It still doesn't even touch those super lows, though!! The last show I played, I threw my pitch mod on and blew it up, so I know it can be done. I'm wondering if maybe I could have a permanent pitch mod going lower in frequency??

Lexington, KY
Auxcide wrote:

Hm. What mixer you sporting? My ub802 gets great low end.

16 Chan Behringer USB.

I don't think it's the mixer though. I just want to go LOWER. (I'm well aware that limitations are the very nature of chipmusic. I don't care. XD)

Madison, Alabama

Lower the volume of your pulse and noise and boost the overall volume of the DMG.  Boom, louder sounding bass.

[edit] also, the smoother the shape of your waveform, the quieter apparent sound of low-frequencies.  Try cutting a notch in your sine or square waves manually to make the low end a bit harsher and stand out a bit more.

Last edited by roboctopus (Aug 9, 2012 5:47 pm)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I know very little about mixers, I was just curious. tongue

DON'T BE GREEDY, POLARHARE.

(could've just been the speakers?)

Brunswick, GA USA

Someone more knowledgeable please comment, the beginnings of notes sometimes have a thump or click that should pick up on your lows knob. It is not a heard sound as much as something you feel and see in a spectrum analyzer, you will notice if it's gone.

Also, underclock for actual low notes.

buffalo, NY
roboctopus wrote:

Lower the volume of your pulse and noise and boost the overall volume of the DMG.  Boom, louder sounding bass.

[edit] also, the smoother the shape of your waveform, the quieter apparent sound of low-frequencies.  Try cutting a notch in your sine or square waves manually to make the low end a bit harsher and stand out a bit more.

This.  I have my own secret weapon, but that's a secret.

A sine on the wave channel can actually go lower than most speakers can handle

Austin, Texas
Solarbear wrote:

I just want to go LOWER. (I'm well aware that limitations are the very nature of chipmusic. I don't care. XD)

WE NEED TO GO LOWER!

For real, you could make an half-clock bass game boy and write some stuff specifically for it to fill out your sound… that's a way to get a lot of low-end into an overall tonal palette.

buffalo, NY

I guess my argument is that going lower wont improve your bass sound, but optimizing your composition to enhance your bass sound works extremely well

yeah double-up your bassline with a pulse channel, either stick the pulse an octave higher or detune it a bit so it oscillates.

tbh (and it's been 12 years since I did this stuf on hardware) gameboy's headphone out was always a bit sh*t for bass, it sounded better with the resonance coming out of the case speaker but then that doesn't really help you.

Last edited by 4mat (Aug 9, 2012 6:33 pm)

Madison, Alabama
danimal cannon wrote:

Exactly.  The DMG can go low.  You just need to optimize your song to make the bass more apparent.  Carefully controlling the volume around your bass is the first step.

Lexington, KY
roboctopus wrote:
danimal cannon wrote:

Exactly.  The DMG can go low.  You just need to optimize your song to make the bass more apparent.  Carefully controlling the volume around your bass is the first step.

You kids and your goddamn 'dynamics'.
This might actually be the route I'm going to have to take.... Or maybe even try that 'bass only' underclock DMG.

Godzilladelph

Roboctopus is very correct!
good mixing practice is always mixing to the lowest (volume) instrument. In lsdj (or nanoloop or whatever you use) turn your bass up to as loud as you want it, and then bring the other instruments' gain down to fit around it. Don't worry if it's a bit quiet in headphones, because remember you can always crank the gain hard as fuck with any powered mixer / amp.

Last edited by SKGB (Aug 9, 2012 7:07 pm)