Detroit, Michigan

Yeah, it would totally be cool. Something really easy for people to pickup and just make patterns. When I did the Maker Faire i had a bunch of pre made loops in lsdj and had kids make different patterns with it.

matt's mind

compatibility with aboy hardware for input (instead of only the dpad/a/b/s/s buttons).  with some inventive routing one could compose with a proper controller and also route the keyboard's button presses (typing type, not musical) for directional control in the app.  up/down, start/select (with space bar), that sort of thing. 

just a thought for alternative input.  i mean, there is a serial port sitting right there....   smile

I smell a Mario Paint port coming.

Really cool idea tho I wouldn't be able to use it since I don't read music smile

Matthew Joseph Payne
Cementimental wrote:

Really cool idea tho I wouldn't be able to use it since I don't read music smile

A "learn to read music" feature would be a great addition. smile

Harrisonburg, Virginia
Cementimental wrote:

Sheet music's actually surprisingly easy to learn. Probably easier than learning to manipulate all of the values in most trackers. tongue

Victory Road wrote:

...triangle waveform instead of sine would be nice, too!

It is a triangle waveform... However, If you want a sine, set your instrument to triangle, manual, and lower the cutoff by a lot (I think)

kineticturtle wrote:

A "learn to read music" feature would be a great addition. smile

this sounds cool as well

Last edited by L-tron (Aug 10, 2012 2:59 pm)

California

This sounds cool. Although, I'm not sure if I'd actually use it that much, since one of the things I hated about using Sibelius was how long it took to input notes compared to a tracker, especially without a MIDI keyboard or anything.

I'd still try it out, though.

Grimsby, UK

if this was done well it would be the best music software ever.
EVER.

NC in the US of America

YES! PLEASE. YES! This would be the best thing ever. I can't stand the tracker system (though it's starting to grow on me), and the piano roll interface of FLStudio and LMMS and Sound Club make me compose stuff in a weird way.

Of course, it would be cool if you could create it with the option to switch between staff interface and piano roll interface, though, but at least having just the sheet music interface would be just toooo guuuud.

As for suggestions, it'd be cool to be able to control the order of each note in an arp-"chord", perhaps with a little number on the side of each note, and maybe control the speed with a number underneath the staff. Effects could be handled "horizontal tracker" style, with an effects bar running along the top of the staff.

Russellian wrote:
Cementimental wrote:

Sheet music's actually surprisingly easy to learn.

QFE

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

no pressure.

Gosford, Australia
L-tron wrote:
Victory Road wrote:

...triangle waveform instead of sine would be nice, too!

It is a triangle waveform... However, If you want a sine, set your instrument to triangle, manual, and lower the cutoff by a lot (I think)

is this some wicked old version of LSDJ you're talking about? it's definitely a sine in every version i've used.

Sweeeeeeden

Just draw a triangle in the waveform editor, and set the instrument type to manual so it doesn't autmatically advance through the other frames.

Gosford, Australia

yeah but that's a lot of effort to go through for a commonly used/wanted sound, which is why i said it'd be nice if there was a triangle waveform to select from in the first place tongue

Melbourne, Australia

Wow, thanks everyone. I've got a lot to think about.

I'm drawing out interface ideas on 160x144 grids now. I think the screen size is what will limit me most as to how many bars can be on the screen at a time. Controls are another thing, I'll have to avoid clutter for the screen size, but don't want to have too many sub-menus.

I'll share a few things i'd wish to see on my project:
*Preset drum patterns. I hate writing drum scores tongue
*Chord Symbols for easy arppegios. E.g. IImin7, V7, Imaj7. Would speed up the composing process.
*Save and export as midi. 
*Compatable with Gameboy printer? I guess it'd be reduntant (and too much effort) if you could just export it to PC and print it on A4.

I thought about having preset sounds that catergorise sounds with moods for newer composers, though sounds are subjective. Maybe words like 'fat', 'pure' and 'dirty' might work.

Until i have better knowledge of what's capable on a gameboy such as whether it can recognise a keyboard, plans of linking up a keyboard etc to a stock GB may seem difficult. If it's a matter of software recognising it, then maybe, it'd make life alot easier no doubt. My coding knowledge is limited however. Gameboy uses C#?
There's a Dr. at school who has made his own Instrument (Tim Opie. He's into Granular Synthesis) before and has made open source music programs that can help me with some of this stuff, though the project will be my own journey with help here and there.

This is all very good feedback. Keep it coming.

Riverside, CA

Will the source be available for this once you're finished?
I've been trying to learn more about Game Boy programming but it's been hard. -_-