Chicago IL, USA

It's okay your point still stands, I won't deny it haha.

East Kilbride, Scotland

Absolutely thought this would be a thread about Bit Shifter getting chatted up by Rihanna.

The Bronx
Sycamore Drive wrote:

Absolutely thought this would be a thread about Bit Shifter getting chatted up by Rihanna.

That relationship would never work out. He's not violent enough.

Tacoma WA

square wave = chip?    sounded more like a VA of some sort to me. but whatever

can't really wrap my head around that one honestly... 

so anyway this 

e.s.c. wrote:

doesn't sound very chip to me, just some square waves

Abandoned on Fire
VCMG wrote:

If chiptune were to burst forth onto the mainstream I think it would ruin a lot of things. For one, hardware would become more expensive and harder to find. Then, if everyone and their mom is pulling from the same limited sound palettes, at some point all the songs are going to start sounding the same. Yes, some amazing things would happen, but then there'd also be a lot more crap to sift through to find the good stuff.

I think we're currently on about the 3rd round of this happening (at least, i dunno)?  I was part of the noobz crowd that got pulled in by 8bc's visibility and hearing about "chiptunes" on ihatebreakcore.  It'll continue to happen whenever there's a new crop of kids to discover chip.  No big deal at all.

Last edited by egr (Aug 13, 2012 9:02 am)

shanghai

******bright primate was spot on with what he said.
if itwent 'mainstream' then it would be a fad. like chip sounds have worked there way into most genres, hip hop, dubstep (ala pixelord etc), but  the people that incorporated these sounds didnt 'go 8-bit', they just used the nostalgic sounds. some for better or worse reasons and outcomes.

also A SQUAREWAVE IS NOT A FUCKING CHIPTOONZ. IF IT WAS 99% OF ELECTRO HOUSE AND STUFF WOULD BE DEEMED '8 BIT MUSIC'.

also, madonna really needs tokeep her legs shut, no one wants to see your saggy flaps love okay.

England

i was made to listen to ayo technology recently.

this thread needs more noobs moaning about noobs cumming on the 8bits.

Last edited by Jellica (Aug 13, 2012 11:42 am)

Chicago IL, USA

If Justin timberlake used chiptune, I would genuinely be okay with it. jt4lyfe.

Gosford, Australia

everything sacred to you will inevitably get shitted all over time and time again. i think a big mainstream chiptune push will be cool.

speaking of "brostep", savant is a cool guy:

^ dat actual chip intro!

we need to get out of this mentality that square waves and arps are chipmusic property, you can hear this stuff in audio all the way back to the 1940s at least.  Many of the old computer chip designers are ex-synth designers, many of the sound drivers are written by guys that programmed synths before getting into computer music.

uhajdafdfdfa

neither of the songs you posted sounded like chipmusic really
they just sounded Crap (i can see how you got it confused with chipmusic)

as for CHIP GOING MAINSTREAM i suppose punk fans complained a bit when green day and blink 182 came a long but they survived didn't they

Forest Maze

Just throwing this out there

Last edited by NUCLACE (Aug 13, 2012 12:24 pm)

NC in the US of America
NUCLACE wrote:

Just throwing this out there

I didn't even know what chiptune was when this came out. Haven't heard it SINCE it came out. I was, what, six years old?

Now? Mind = blown. I knew there had to be modern rapid arps out there not associated with the chip scene that weren't metal sweep picking, but... I didn't think it'd come from such a source. Though, being 1992, it makes sense in a way. The veteran's responses to these "what if choptins was mainstreamed?" threads get more and more legit every time one pops up. Well done chiptune vets and ascended newbies. Well done. I salute you, and thank you for relieving me of my ignorance.

Somebody must have done a chiptune cover of this Dr. Dre tune by now, yes?

We need a "non-chip arps" thread. lol j/k

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Aug 13, 2012 1:04 pm)

N.E. U.S.

I honestly think this won't happen for a while. Right now, pop is craving off of electro house (If you listen to some pop from just a couple years a go, you can hear a big transition). Considering Deadmau5 is considered underground to many people around my area, I doubt chiptune would spring up as a new trend. If it does, though, there is no way it will actually sound like chipmusic, it will be warped to hell probably mixed with dubstep and electro house.

São Paulo, Brazil
e.s.c. wrote:

doesn't sound very chip to me, just some square waves

São Paulo, Brazil
ant1 wrote:

neither of the songs you posted sounded like chipmusic really
they just sounded Crap (i can see how you got it confused with chipmusic)

LOL