Austin, Texas

I'm going to lose so much street cred for admitting this, but I don't really listen to Joy Division that much. Sorry. sad

Gosford, Australia

haha it's all good man
let's continue with the posting of painted rca-backlit gamer dudes or whatever!

Unsubscribe
Telerophon wrote:

I don't really listen to Joy Division that much.

Im sure if you hang around long enough you'll start to see the light.

Baton Rouge, LA
Evil Scientist wrote:
Grymmtymm wrote:

what kind/how did you paint these?

just spray can paint or thinned paint with an airbrush?

Tamiya transparent spray paint, designed for RC cars

According to Tamiya's website these aren't to be used on plastics. Did  you have to do any special prep? These look great!

Austin, Texas

Where did you see that? The paint he's talking about is specifically "For Polycarbonate."

Baton Rouge, LA
Telerophon wrote:

Where did you see that? The paint he's talking about is specifically "For Polycarbonate."

"This is a 3oz can of translucent blue polycarbonate spray paint from Tamiya. These spray paints were developed especially for decorating transparent polycarbonate (Lexan) bodies used in R/C car modeling. Each can contains 100ml of paint, which is the appropriate amount for finishing a model. Small detail work should be brush painted beforehand using Tamiya bottle paints for polycarbonate. Paint the body from the inside, keeping the can about 30cm from the surface. After curing, apply another coat. These paints are impervious to oil and fuels, so they can be safely used on gas-powered R/C bodies. Never use these paints on plastic models." - Taken from web.

Are gameboy bodies polycarbonate?

Last edited by killedatschool (Aug 24, 2012 3:06 pm)

I'm pretty sure that shells are made of PVC or ABS (they can end up very similar as a final product), model kits are usually Polystyrene.

Austin, Texas

I don't personally use that paint, so I wouldn't be able to answer those questions, but that is the paint that Evil Scientist says he has used on his translucent DMGs.

Baton Rouge, LA

If the shells are PVC wouldn't that mean that they are a thermal plastic? Has anyone ever used a heat gun to manipulate the structure of the shells?

Philadelphia
Frostbyte wrote:

Was it sprayed? I did mine with acrylic and brush and it looked really bad hahaha.

I've got to tell you, spraying usually makes things come out a lot better. All of the cases I've done so far have all been with spray paint. As long as you spray it evenly and let it dry for the appropriate amount of time, it comes out really nice smile

Austria

ok.. this took me the whole friday and i almost went nuts, but i did it...

on the left side is the amplifier board and on the right side the arduinoboy
it didnt work and i resoldered and changed parts (i tried 3 different arduinos) a thousand times, and almost smashed it, but then i found out what was the problem...
the cheap arduino pro mini from ebay didnt support 1.2.3 arduinoboy (or arduino 1.0 software language), so i downloaded arduinoboy 1.2.2 and used one of the older alpha arduino softwares and finally finished my midiboy.

be sure to check out the short vid on my blog

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

wow, pretty cool man. You've got some nice mods under your belt. smile

Austria
Auxcide wrote:

wow, pretty cool man. You've got some nice mods under your belt. smile

thanks, i should concentrate more on composing, but i guess i am more a modder than a composer sad

maybe i will have more time as soon as my megaman gameboy is finished

Last edited by RyuX (Aug 25, 2012 3:07 am)

A set of DMG's I did for a buddy.

Two transparent cases painted from the inside in a nice 80's gradient colour style thing.
Matching schemes and everything. the blue/magenta one might get green buttons, but that's up to him tongue

with matching EMS carts of course.
and backlight + pro-sound.

Both screens also have a custom Data loss logo behind the pixels. It's best seen when the nintendo logo comes on. Photo's are a bit fuzzy tho.
In lsdj, it's more on the background.

Last edited by Timbob (Aug 30, 2012 12:18 pm)

Detroit, Michigan

omg that gradient is so good, also never thought of a logo behind the pixels. Looks mint, ace job!

Austin, Texas

Wow that is is straight chillin' dopesicles my man.