los angeles

because finishing idm albums is fucking hard

Seattle, WA US

I feel like I've explained this at some point before.. but fuck it.

I was walking around the local 'Folklife' festival with a couple of friends. Amidst the few thousand hippies, gypsies, and other varieties of homeless people, I find my attention drawn towards a circle of skinny kids with cool hair and tight pants, all nodding their heads in unison. Curious as to why their heads were bobbing, I decided to investigate.

It was here that I came into contact with chipz for the first time, as their was some serious LSDJ busking going down in the center of this very hip circle. I stuck around for a good hour or two and got to watch Fighter X, Sabrepulse, Electric Chidren (then known as Circles), McFiredrill, and Ovenrake throw down a series of some of the most unique and energetic songs I'd heard in my entire life... asked a couple of people what was going on and they told me to go the free 8-bit showcase the festival was holding the next day if I wanted to get a better idea.

The next morning came, and I ventured back into the heart of the hippyfest. Unsure of exactly what I was getting into, I tentatively made my way into the venue. The nervousness quickly turned to excitement as I watched Fighter X fist pump the shit out of his set. Trash80 takes the stage, my excitement builds. I couldn't believe the sounds I was hearing.. it was unreal. Finally, Sabrepulse starts playing. It wasn't more than 10 minutes into his set that I knew I loved chipmusic, and that I wanted to do exactly what was going on before my very ears and eyes.

The rest is history..

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Jeez what a fucking show! Chiptunes have never been new to me. I've always listened to videogame music as my primary music genre.

washington

Here's my superlame story. I found a gameboy in my garage. The battery in my Pokemon gold cartridge was dead, so I looked up how to fix it on youtube. I stumbled across a Henry Homesweet video, and thought it was pretty whatever. Then when I heard a different one, it was the greatest thing ever. I decided I'd at least try to make my own chipsongs and it worked out-ish. I started making it for somewhere to put all my sadness and angst. Whoo!

Last edited by basspuddle (Sep 10, 2012 10:15 pm)

Austin, Texas

Because I like the way it sounds. I also like the associated hardware and computer culture.

Chicago

cocaine

vancouver, canada

i was sick of having garbage samples in all my .ITs and .S3Ms that prevented me from finishing anything

but also so that i can be featured in a chiptune documentary by 2 Player Productions that hopefully educate more people abroad about chipmusic, i hope i'm not too late for this.

AANABAY01

i want to be the first good chipmusician

shanghai

i started making electronica idm yonks ago
so i always had a love for odd sounds, either very complex sounds or just bleepy sounds
after 5 years of making that with vst and stuff i started to incorporate some 8bit sounds.
purely for the sound. i just like those sounds. cant beat a tracker arp you know.
not for the community. chip community is full of dicks like me.
and not so i could paint a gameboy either.
yeah mostly id just say SOUND. pure and simple.

Granada, Spain

1. The sound, unique, special.
2. Its not really hard.
3. I always get distracted in PC if i try to make music.
4. Bitches love chiptune.

West Yorks, UK

the point is downstate, if your music is good, you can be a dick. your beats* certainly qualify for that! not too sure about saskrotch tho...

edit to clarify*

Last edited by Domu (Sep 8, 2012 11:42 am)

uhajdafdfdfa

well i got into it because i liked the sound

i stuck with it because i like the sound, mostly
but als the community is nice to take part in. and also i always suckd at DAWmusic

now i am addicted to the trackers i use and even if i'm not doing "chip" stuff i suppose i will always be tracking

nostalgia and limitation don't really come into it. not on a conscious level anyway. i was never a gamer. but before this i was making music with microsoft sound recorder and/or a qy-20, so maybe old sounds and crap interfaces are permanently inprinted into my head

Brunswick, GA USA

Why not? At face value the question sounds silly.

The inspirations are nostalgia (HVSC and module collections,) transient, and the group tree wave. I'd be fooling myself if I didn't say cost effectiveness is part of the draw too, though i've noticed that casual listeners are put off when I say "my gear is inexpensive" so I'm trying to avoid that now. It still confuses me when someone says they use thousands of dollars of gear to plug in a game boy and push the start key, so I avoid the gear thread...

West Yorks, UK

haha yeah expensive compared to pro audio gear. but anyone whos ever bought a full price nanloop or three knows that its a bit of a stinger!

IL, US
chunter wrote:

It still confuses me when someone says they use thousands of dollars of gear to plug in a game boy and push the start key, so I avoid the gear thread...

plenty of people do way more than just playing back lsdj tracks, so this statement is pretty silly

Cambridge UK

yeah e.s.c. why all that gear when you only need a gameboy? tsssss. :3