Philadelphia

As I've said before, I haven't been a fan of Disney for quite some time now, and this has only added to that dislike.

Sydney, NSW
chunter wrote:

Also, link contains some brony content.

thank god you warned us about that, i assumed it was a safe, friendly link. i was so wrong though, cheers!

maybe this is their way of taking vengeance for my disney world torn-down EPCOT theme park ride LSDJ cover

anamanaguchi I am sorry for having caused this turmoil

i mean-what?

SMELLBOURNE BOSSTRALIA

First Kimba now THIS?!

this is one of the most egregious acts of plagiarism i've seen without straight using an actual reproduction of someone else's work. so shitty. i thought before i clicked on the link that it might be reminiscent of one of their jams, but the second i heard it, it was so shamefully obvious; like someone said, right down to the panning technique. gross. i would honestly contribute whatever little money i could spare to a campaign to either sue or embarass the "composer" for this.

melbourne, australia
bryface wrote:

best

This could be anamana's golden ticket. I mean come on, Disney would consider settling this out of court for a million bucks chump change.

Last edited by Smendrick the Magician (Sep 18, 2012 1:00 pm)

Chicago, IL

shanghai

i dont really hear a carbon copy rip off myself.  but im not too familiar with anamanaguchi's song, so its hard to try to make out the exact rip off ness with all these hyper melodies going on ! but i ll take your word for it. And if true, shame on the 'composer'

New York City
Downstate wrote:

i dont really hear a carbon copy rip off myself.

Same here. As it is undeniably true that this piece has been, let's say, "heavily inspired" on Anamanaguchi's track, there is absolutely no grounds for legal action, at all.

But the cheaptoon sk3n3 has to get up in hemorrhoidal pain as usual.
Timberland plain ripped off a tune, that's totally different.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Sep 18, 2012 3:41 pm)

Detroit, Michigan
akira^8GB wrote:
Downstate wrote:

i dont really hear a carbon copy rip off myself.

Same here. As it is undeniably true that this piece has been, let's say, "heavily inspired" on Anamanaguchi's track, there is absolutely no grounds for legal action, at all.

But the cheaptoon sk3n3 has to get up in hemorrhoidal pain as usual.
Timberland plain ripped off a tune, that's totally different.

Its the same exact melodies, just a few steps down.

Philadelphia, PA

Normally I don't get too wrapped up in things like this, but as I said before, lazy/irresponsible songwriting and/or outright theft drives me freaking crazy. It all comes down to how much time/money/resources/etc. the band and its management really does have to fight this. Now I know I also said before something like "there's no argument that they're not the same" or "they're pretty much exactly the same" and all right, maybe that is an exaggeration. As a whole, once you really get into the song after the first few measures, the Disney song is not a carbon copy, no. All that being said, I think the parts that are too close for comfort are absolutely worth getting upset over. I would say some of the subtle production/composition choices are just way too sophisticated to deserve to be considered "original." After about the first five seconds or so, yes, the song is just pretty much heavily inspired -- but those five seconds are so closely derivative that, if it were my music, I'd be beyond livid. Go back and listen to those first few measures with headphones. The way the melody comes in after the second beat, the rhythm of that pattern, the way the harmony comes in in the 2nd measure, the way that harmony is panned.. It's THE SAME in both. I think both songs even modulate to the same relative chord after that intro (yes, they are each in a different key, but you can't just play "Happy Birthday" in a different key and not have to pay to use it in your movie). I don't know if judges/lawyers care about those kinds of technical similarities but that's a lot more than "It FEELS like an Anamanaguchi song" or "They stole our chord progression." If it were me, I could not just let this go.

New York City

People here need to work in the "creative" business to realize how common place, how everyday's fare this is.
Have a good look around you and you will start to find a lot more "copies" of other things, basically most of what you are delivered is probably a copy of something else.

By the way, "Happy Birthday", as Wikipedia says, is a combination of a melody made by someone with the lyrics made by someone else. And the people who grabbed the original tune and added lyrics, copyrighted that to themselves. Isn't that fucked up? But they got away with it. They even managed to register it as their own, even though the melody was composed by someone else. With this I want to say that laws are fucked up and one has to be careful and know a lot (or get really great counselling) before diving nose-in into a legal issue, specially with a media giant. This sort of shit usually means a LOAD of trouble for the "little people".

Last edited by akira^8GB (Sep 18, 2012 5:25 pm)

Philadelphia, PA

Of course there are many, many examples of this happening all the time, and many examples (perhaps even the majority) of people getting away with it. But that doesn't make it OK, and that shouldn't mean someone should just throw in the towel. Sorry if that sounds idealistic, but I think when someone is getting paid to write music, the audience deserves hard, original efforts. I agree that Anamanaguchi should be very careful before they do anything -- as I said, it all comes down to how much money and resources they have for this, and none of us can tell them how to proceed. Maybe they'll decide to do nothing. But off the top of my head I can think of a few examples of someone saying "Hey, that sounds like my song!" and either winning or coming to some kind of settlement (The Flaming Lips' "Fight Test" and Cat Stevens' "Father and Son," the theme from "Ghostbusters" and Huey Lewis's "I Want a New Drug," that stupid Verve song that ripped off the Rolling Stones or whatever)... So good luck to them with whatever they decide to do.

São Paulo, Brazil
Aeros wrote:

inb4 kickstarter to hire anamanaguchi an underhanded lawyer and bribe all the judges and jury

lol

New York City
PULSELOOPER wrote:
Aeros wrote:

inb4 kickstarter to hire anamanaguchi an underhanded lawyer and bribe all the judges and jury

lol