New York City

I think it "did", I mean, the sample has a specific sample rate in Hertz and this should tell you which note it was sampled at. This doesn't mean the sample plays at that note, though... I could sample a C-2 in F#3 if I wanted to (and that would be a massive mindfuck, but it's possible)

Montreal

If the sample was 'raw' there was no way to tell. If it was IFF, it had an internal sample rate, but no "root pitch", in any case the tracker wouldnt know the supposed pitch of an imported sound.

Its still an issue with any sampling/instrument engine. Although the samplerate of the imported file is always known (wav, aiff, etc alwyas has that), but seldom are other chunks filled with good info (smpl/inst chunks comes to mind) with root pitch for _that_ sample, so you need to tell the sampler what it is. In SFZ, for instance, thats what the pitch_keycenter opcode is.

just look in the mod for what root note the sample was on and hack the sfz accordingly. I've had this problem a bunch as I trade single cycles between chipsounds milkytracker and sunvox to make my music, all assume different root notes and so a lot of sample tuning has to be done manually. when resampling is involved (in milkytracker and sunvox) it further complicates matters. I've been hacking chipsounds sfz since day 1 I'm tommorow on the chipsounds forum.

It's not a chipsounds problem it's a problem inherent to tracked music in general. I get around this by renaming my sample with root notes so I can adjust quickly.

Last edited by 9H05T (Sep 21, 2012 4:39 pm)

New York City

That could help but wouldn't solve the problem. I agree this is a complicated matter, but many times, as I said, the root note the sample is on doesn't necessarily mean it's actually that note, for example in breaks. Also, if you have a bunch of equally detuned notes, yu may never realize your mistake unless you have pitch perfect hearing. I bet a load of people back then just got samples from external sources and used them, regardless of what notes those were.

agreed. especially when you're going for 16 or 32 byte single cycle samples to make tiny mods/xms like back in the day.

Montreal
9H05T wrote:

agreed. especially when you're going for 16 or 32 byte single cycle samples to make tiny mods/xms like back in the day.

To complicate matters, in chipsounds all bit patterns are assumed to be a period, so thats why you see stuff like transpose=-95 in there for LFRSr , or amiga samples.

Last edited by plgDavid (Sep 22, 2012 10:28 am)