excuse me, metaphysically.

KC
electricloverecords wrote:

to create more complex melodies and harmonics you can use a scale, which is a set of notes that go together.  a scale might be D, F, G, G#, A, C, C#, and then back to D.  if you're song is the D scale i just wrote, you can play around with those notes and it will mostly go together.

you have the right idea of scales but thats not quite accurate. you can't "write" your own scales. it is what it is. scales have already been defined by all our predecessors.

Im trying to think of what scale that might be, but none came to mind. you missed the E.

every scales hits every note on the musical alphabet ( A B C D E F G)

so a D scale starts on D, then goes to E, then F , G, A, B, C then hits that next D, then goes back down.

what determines exactly what kind of scale it is is whether the starting note is flat, sharp, or natural, and the sequence of intervals (musical distance [half step, whole step, 1 1/2 steps]) used for the rest of the notes.

Grymmtymm wrote:
electricloverecords wrote:

to create more complex melodies and harmonics you can use a scale, which is a set of notes that go together.  a scale might be D, F, G, G#, A, C, C#, and then back to D.  if you're song is the D scale i just wrote, you can play around with those notes and it will mostly go together.

you have the right idea of scales but thats not quite accurate. you can't "write" your own scales. it is what it is. scales have already been defined by all our predecessors.

Im trying to think of what scale that might be, but none came to mind. you missed the E.

every scales hits every note on the musical alphabet ( A B C D E F G)

There are scales that are very different and do not hit every note in the musical alphabet. Wholetone scales, and certain atonal "scales" come to mind. The scale electricloverecords is referring to is a D blues scales with a sharp seventh that can be used to build tension. It's a very common thing to see in jazz songs, and swing tunes (for example: Saint James Infirmary is traditionally played in D minor with a sometimes-sharp 7). The scale could also be interpreted as a D minor pentatonic scale with some extra notes that can be used as tension building notes in suspensions. Keep in mind that many dubstep basslines are based off the pentatonic minor scale.

You can write your own scales. Not everything has to be 12-tone, major, minor, pentatonic, or modal. Alter things, make it your own. Whatever. Dubstep hasn't been around long enough to be studied like swing, classical music, or rock. It's still new, still being defined. Go define it however you wish.

@Grymmtymm - Don't go around preaching about scales if you don't know everything about them. Saying every scale hits every note A-G is bullshit. Pentatonic scales use 5 notes, whole tone scales use 6. Hopefully in the future you'll learn more about scales and what defines a scale, and use it in your own methodology.

Brunswick, GA USA

I think what was meant is, since scales are based on a series of preexisting intervals, they are discovered, not invented, in a sense. I interpret the grime tone in *step music as a single long tone with pitch bends, there is more rhythm and phrasing than pitch.

The attraction phase is divided into :
A1 - Approach
A2 - Attracting the HB or Female-to-male Interest
A3 - Male-to-Female Interest

The comfort phase is divided into :
C1 - Building rapport
C2 - Building emotional connection and physical connection
C3 - Intimacy

The seduction phase is divided into :
S1 - Foreplay
S2 - LMR
S3 - Chipstep

Tokyo, Japan
mk wrote:

The attraction phase is divided into :
A1 - Approach
A2 - Attracting the HB or Female-to-male Interest
A3 - Male-to-Female Interest

The comfort phase is divided into :
C1 - Building rapport
C2 - Building emotional connection and physical connection
C3 - Intimacy

The seduction phase is divided into :
S1 - Foreplay
S2 - LMR
S3 - Chipstep

Someone's been reading the Venusian Arts

New Albany Indiana
L-tron wrote:
Bit wish wrote:

Regular chip is the basic stuff, stuff you wouldn't want to her preforming. i need that danky chip step tongue

Honestly, if you have to ask this question, you're probably not at the point where anyone would want to hear you perform anyhow. That is not meant to be a huge burn, but at the same time it's probably true. Kids getting into chip are always in a rush to "release ep's" and "play shows". Take your time, practice and experiment, then in a year or two start dropping some ep's and playing shows.

I have tons of stuff, but since almost every chip music song tends to sound the same i never felt compelled to release any thing. And im not really knew to the chip sceen, and i know, kids tend to release  alot of stuff that isnt any good. I just felt like exporeing diffe3rent styles of chip music.

New Albany Indiana
boaconstructor wrote:

I would normally come to one of these to be a dick like everyone else.. but I'm in a good mood.

Have an understanding of waveforms.. fuck around a lot with the wave channel.. look at normal lsdj tutorials so you have a good understanding of the tracker, and not just how to make a certain sort of song.. use F commands... fuck around more.

My first year of lsdj was essential comprised of me fucking around with the wave channel until I made sounds I liked.. then you can work off of those. Your lsdj "chipstep" is nothing without a hearty wave channel

Much appreciated

KC
thebitman wrote:

@Grymmtymm - Don't go around preaching about scales if you don't know everything about them. Saying every scale hits every note A-G is bullshit. Pentatonic scales use 5 notes, whole tone scales use 6. Hopefully in the future you'll learn more about scales and what defines a scale, and use it in your own methodology.

OK sure I forgot about pentatonic.
Don't go around preaching about me 'preaching' did you write the minor pentatonic? no you didn't

plus when talking about accidentals, yeah, you can always include them wherever you want to, but that's why they are called accidentals, they were 'accidentally' put where they don't originally belong

Hopefully in the future you won't take the internet so seriously smile

Last edited by Grymmtymm (Oct 1, 2012 8:55 pm)