D D D Detroit, not the burbs

yeah i heard about this a few days ago, chip tune witch burning hilarity ensues.

DC

Im not a chiptuner, but I am a painter and designer. I can see why Sabrepulse is angry. His works are his babies, man. He puts time and effort and sweat into them, just for some guy to take one and use it almost unchanged for a project that Sabrepulse didn't even get credit or give consent to be part of. I haven't had this happen to me (and God-willing I will never have to go through it) but this is a problem that happens in all arts. I've had people take pictures of my paintings and post them online without my consent, though, and that pissed me off. The producer for that song had a lot of time and opportunity to just tell Sabrepulse that his song was going to be used. Its as simple as writing an email. 20 minutes.
As what this means for the chipscene, i dont like it, either. I will admit that i havent even recieved my gameboy in the mail yet, but the 8bit scene seems like a very close knit community. Just in this website ive met with the two main suppliers of hardware and talked to them pretty casually, along with composers that i never expected to have contact with. The chipscene seems like one of those islands of fun and talent you rarely find, and it has painted a completely futuristic landscape yet with a heavy presence of nostalgia. Id hate to see it ruined by bad rappers and mainstream "composers" now that ive just entered it. This is just my opinion, but id rather have this music community stay small and good, than really well known and dull. As soon as the YOLO generation gets hold of chip music, we can expect it to be changed into something brutally different. Like the rap video we all saw at the beggining of this thread.
This is just my view, though. Not necessarily what would happen.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

This. . . This disgusts me.

DotMatrix wrote:

I will admit that i havent even recieved my gameboy in the mail yet, [...] Id hate to see it ruined by bad rappers and mainstream "composers" now that ive just entered it. This is just my opinion, but id rather have this music community stay small and good, than really well known and dull.

"I thought about making Chiptune, before it became popular!" is so much more cool then "I made Chiptune, before it became popular!".
Indeed.

Playboy Man-Baby
DotMatrix wrote:

Id hate to see it ruined by bad rappers and mainstream "composers" now that ive just entered it. This is just my opinion, but id rather have this music community stay small and good, than really well known and dull. As soon as the YOLO generation gets hold of chip music, we can expect it to be changed into something brutally different. Like the rap video we all saw at the beggining of this thread.
This is just my view, though. Not necessarily what would happen.

Google, "Timbaland Tempest Glenn Rune Gallefoss"

Tacoma WA

arm your gameboys, men, and eat hardy, for the chiptune community is going to war tonight.

off the youtube comments. still makes me laugh

Seattle, WA US
DotMatrix wrote:

Im why Sabrepulse works his babies, man. He puts effort and sweat into them, just for some guy to take one and use it for a part of God-problem arts. I've had people take my paintings, though, and that pissed me off. The producer for that opportunity just tell Sabrepulse that his was used. Its as simple as 20 minutes.
As what this means for the chipscene, i dont like it, either. I will admit that i havent even recieved my but knit. Just in this two hardware and them pretty.  The chipscene seems like one of those rarely painted completely futuristic heavy presence of nostalgia ruined by bad mainstream "composers" now that just entered. This is just my music and good, really known and dull. YOLO generation gets hold of brutally different rap we saw beggining thread.
This necessarily what would happen.

YOLO

Too long I fixed that for you

Playboy Man-Baby
boaconstructor wrote:
DotMatrix wrote:

Im why Sabrepulse works his babies, man. He puts effort and sweat into them, just for some guy to take one and use it for a part of God-problem arts. I've had people take my paintings, though, and that pissed me off. The producer for that opportunity just tell Sabrepulse that his was used. Its as simple as 20 minutes.
As what this means for the chipscene, i dont like it, either. I will admit that i havent even recieved my but knit. Just in this two hardware and them pretty.  The chipscene seems like one of those rarely painted completely futuristic heavy presence of nostalgia ruined by bad mainstream "composers" now that just entered. This is just my music and good, really known and dull. YOLO generation gets hold of brutally different rap we saw beggining thread.

YOLO

Well, 20 minutes IS pretty easy...

DC
boaconstructor wrote:
DotMatrix wrote:

YOLO

Thanks bro. Owe you one.

DC
9-Heart wrote:
DotMatrix wrote:

I will admit that i havent even recieved my gameboy in the mail yet, [...] Id hate to see it ruined by bad rappers and mainstream "composers" now that ive just entered it. This is just my opinion, but id rather have this music community stay small and good, than really well known and dull.

"I thought about making Chiptune, before it became popular!" is so much more cool then "I made Chiptune, before it became popular!".
Indeed.

Oh, you havent even seen my ironic shirt collection. I have it all on vinyl. Id put it on the web, but im strictly polaroid.

Orange County, CA
Feryl wrote:

San Diego, CA

Here's some words from Andrew Dubber, who is featured prominently in bandcamp.com's faq: "The single most effective way to stop people from copying your music is to stop making music."

We live in an age where remixes happen; even lazy remixes like this one are possible. It's kind of weird that every time something like this happens we get so violently angry about it, especially considering the amount of covers and remixes that get featured on this site. This kind of thing should be treated like a stupid dubstep remix of a viral video on Youtube--worth a moment of slight disdain and nothing more.

Orange County, CA
spacetownsavior wrote:

Here's some words from Andrew Dubber, who is featured prominently in bandcamp.com's faq: "The single most effective way to stop people from copying your music is to stop making music."

We live in an age where remixes happen; even lazy remixes like this one are possible. It's kind of weird that every time something like this happens we get so violently angry about it, especially considering the amount of covers and remixes that get featured on this site. This kind of thing should be treated like a stupid dubstep remix of a viral video on Youtube--worth a moment of slight disdain and nothing more.

this specific example is a bit extreme for that though
like he didn't copy a lead or retracked or somehting he put an 808 over an established song and thats it. like the full song.

Last edited by Dr Treble (Oct 31, 2012 7:33 am)

DC

I guess i went a little overboard with the word limit on my comment. (That's me used to writing long artist statements for studio art class, resulting in me sounding like an asshole with too much to say)
I can't say Im furious with the people who made the video without consent, or extremely political about keeping chipmusic underground. It just bothers me to see something really nice turned into something so.... not nice. 
My short version would be that some of you guys are really talented musicians, using something that wasnt even meant for music. So take pride in what you do, because by my standard, your music, like all good music, is art.

uhajdafdfdfa

everyone don't understand dub

only musicheads like myself understand

A gray world of dread
nitro2k01 wrote:

Sabrepulse has a thing or two to learn from Jose Torres. "Polite but to the point". (Addition: In case itwasn't clear, the conversation in the image took place about a week ago, as far as I'm aware.)

Hmm, I have a question. As far as I remember, there are multiple compilations with 8bc/8bitcollective in the name around. How is that handled legally? As I understand it, most predate the registration of 8bitcollective as a trademark, so if I contributed to/curated one that should be no problem since you can't extend copyright claims to the past. However, I guess continued distribution would be a problem?