Brunswick, GA USA
ant1 wrote:

sell out now! it's your duty

You first wink

I can only think of one person that answers Boomlinde's question, though I'm not the best person too answer, I agree with Linde's assessment that it's not like anyone is preventing him or anyone from making music.

Speaking only for myself, when I feel frustrated by a proverbial establishment of artists it is because I know the music I like to create doesn't fit in with their tastes, which isn't anyone's fault.

Milwaukee, WI

If I was to gain any semblance of popularity within the electronic scene here among my demographic (which is the main one AFAIK), I would have to sell out a little bit.  I went to a UV foam rave last night, and it was all dubstep and trap.  Pretty bad, but it's what is selling right now.  Looks like it's time to add more drops into my tunes...

I do agree with dubmood on the point that a lot of artists don't really take themselves seriously.  Maybe that is a wrong choice of words, but it does seem like the majority of chip artists stay within chip shows and don't try to cater or promote to a general audience.  I'll admit for myself it is a little intimidating, so I can understand, but I'd like to give it a shot.  I think it can only help the scene in the long run.

Brunswick, GA USA
Theta_Frost wrote:

I went to a UV foam rave last night, and it was all...

This?

Freiburg, Germany

I like being part of the "second wave". Let's see where this thing leads

Milwaukee, WI
chunter wrote:
Theta_Frost wrote:

I went to a UV foam rave last night, and it was all...

This?

Yep.  It was honestly very claustrophobic IMO, and I'm normally not bothered by lots of bodies.

Also, nice work!  That is from the exact venue I was at!

Last edited by Theta_Frost (Nov 3, 2012 10:18 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA

Google images ftw.

The musical phenomena do come in waves, but it's important to remember one thing- It is pretentious to claim to be the next thing, it's better to actually be the next thing and let the spectators decide that you're the next thing, see those people who put "official" on their page titles.

buffalo, NY
chunter wrote:

see those people who put "official" on their page titles.

OMG that's my favorite with a "verified ✔" on a facebook page at a close 2nd.

Westfield, NJ

i'm all for appealing to the general electronic music festival circuit but let's face it, there's a very clear path to getting there and it involves imitating whatever sound is in right now. 3 years ago it was dutch house, 2 years ago it was dubstep, now it's trap. you either start producing whatever is currently in with whatever tools are currently in, or nobody wants to hear what you are doing. at least, if you just want the fast track to playing electronic festivals, that's it.

Gosford, Australia

dubmood done made me feel bad about making uptempo music :<

edit: can't be arsed.

Last edited by 4mat (Nov 4, 2012 3:09 pm)

chunter wrote:

see those people who put "official" on their page titles.

but it's damn near impossible to get your artist name 'clean' on any web service these days.

Decktonic wrote:

i'm all for appealing to the general electronic music festival circuit but let's face it, there's a very clear path to getting there and it involves imitating whatever sound is in right now. 3 years ago it was dutch house, 2 years ago it was dubstep, now it's trap. you either start producing whatever is currently in with whatever tools are currently in, or nobody wants to hear what you are doing. at least, if you just want the fast track to playing electronic festivals, that's it.

I'd say dubstep is still gaining popularity... anyhow, I'd like to add to this by saying making awesome music isn't enough. There are so many little tricks and elements to EQing, mixing, and mastering that ultimately can make or break a track even if the track is bangin. And I'm talking about "professional" level electronic music...  I've only recently just started getting into learning this stuff this year, and man is it interesting, but it's also a lot to wrap your head around. Always learning new things.

It's really inspiring to see artists upping their game to this level. Artists like MisfitChris, Prom Wolf, Rockman, Henryhomesweet to name a few. But hell I'll always love chip for what it is, and I'll never stop.

Marseille

Victory Road:
I think my post was somewhat unclear. No bad in making uptempo music, no bad in being a gameboy musician (I am one too), nothing bad with fakebit, and no bad in being DIY or "unprofessional". My post was ranting against puritanism and trying to explain some of the points being brought up in this thread like failing/too small audience for pure chip events and few artists playing bigger gigs. Continue to do uptempo music.   

Also, I do not agree at all with decktonics post. Big promoters don't give a flying fuck what subgenre of EDM you do. They mostly care about how big audience you bring and how much of the audience attracted by other poster names that also match you. Doesn't matter if you make the best dubstep in teh world if you seem to be an unestablished hobbyist with no established fanbase and no communication.

And still, the best and most effective fast track to any gig is sleeping with the promoter and/or being close friends with the ones doing the booking. Voila...

Westfield, NJ
dubmood wrote:

Also, I do not agree at all with decktonics post. Big promoters don't give a flying fuck what subgenre of EDM you do. They mostly care about how big audience you bring and how much of the audience attracted by other poster names that also match you. Doesn't matter if you make the best dubstep in teh world if you seem to be an unestablished hobbyist with no established fanbase and no communication.

What you are saying might be true in Europe but in the USA where EDM festivals are a fad and the people running shows have no familiarity with dance music, this is how things are.

But yeah, regardless, it's up to each artist to build up their own fan base, it's grass roots stuff.

Brunswick, GA USA
Decktonic wrote:

...people running shows have no familiarity with dance music

True since at least 1996.

I think the point of many posters is, don't be afraid to branch out and market to your genre, not just Chip types, which is easier for some than others, always will be.

Tokyo, Japan
Victory Road wrote:

dubmood done made me feel bad about making uptempo music :<

dubmood is damn right. Unce-laden typical upbeat chiptune annoys the hell outta me. Yes, there is a place for it, but not 8 out of 10 artists at an event like he mentions. I think he is going over board a bit with this estimation though. At least as far as Blip Tokyo and Cheapbeats events go wink