Madison, Alabama

I think I agree with ant1.  Time to go watch some election coverage!

Marseille

When I played dancemusic with a gameboy I sometimes routed the kick Left and everything else Right and then compressed and EQued the kick, splitted the L signal and used it as a sidechain source to the Right track using an Avalon 747. Worked well, could make a fat square chan kick, use sidechain compression on the Right track and didnt need a second LSDJ. And if you like to pan leads and other stuff when making harmonies n shit, then just split the R signal again and go for a mixer or rack-EQ that can do proper M/S.

Just a tip!

Madison, Alabama
dubmood wrote:

When I played dancemusic with a gameboy I sometimes routed the kick Left and everything else Right and then compressed and EQued the kick, splitted the L signal and used it as a sidechain source to the Right track using an Avalon 747. Worked well, could make a fat square chan kick, use sidechain compression on the Right track and didnt need a second LSDJ. And if you like to pan leads and other stuff when making harmonies n shit, then just split the R signal again and go for a mixer or rack-EQ that can do proper M/S.

Just a tip!

I would add that a second LSDJ is much, much cheaper than an Avalon 747.

Or pretty much any outboard compressor, really. 

Don't get me wrong, I respect you and I think your music is amazing, but your suggestion completely misses the point a lot of us use a second DMG for.  I might not be able to afford a compressor or a rack-EQ, but I *can* afford a second game boy.

Just sayin'.

Gosford, Australia

you could sidechain and m/s in any number of free software solutions, though!

Madison, Alabama
Victory Road wrote:

Yeah, but I don't even have a laptop I could use live, haha.

California

Lug your desktop everywhere, LAN party-style.

Unsubscribe
roboctopus wrote:
Victory Road wrote:

Yeah, but I don't even have a laptop I could use live, haha.

You can get a alesis compressor far cheaper than most of the modded dmgs you see on this forum.

Liverpool, UK

People, in 2012, still being bothered about chipmusic being 'pure'.

Also

› Show Spoiler

Portland, OR

I actually started out using 2xLSDJ because at first I assumed 4 channels would be too limiting; then when I started learning more I realized one DMG is enough for most everything I want to do. It is nice to be able to have triangle wave bass and drums samples going simultaneously sometimes though, especially for more straightforward pop/rock songs as opposed to dance beats. But if the Game Boy had separate DPCM and triangle channels like the NES, I don't think I'd ever bother with 2xLSDJ.

Last edited by jerkemy (Nov 10, 2012 3:05 am)

wow you guys are still actually talking about this

Last edited by an0va (Nov 10, 2012 6:25 pm)

Marseille
roboctopus wrote:

I would add that a second LSDJ is much, much cheaper than an Avalon 747.

Or pretty much any outboard compressor, really. 

Don't get me wrong, I respect you and I think your music is amazing, but your suggestion completely misses the point a lot of us use a second DMG for.  I might not be able to afford a compressor or a rack-EQ, but I *can* afford a second game boy.

Just sayin'.

How could i get you wrong? wink Yeah ofcourse you have a point. But I didn't mean to be all nazi about what compressor to use. What I was trying to say was, mearly routing your kick out seperatly from the gameboy and treat it with whatever you want is a good alternative to using 2 gameboys. As an example, for a long long time I used a Alesis modFX smashup and you can get those for 20 bucks off ebay nowdays. really inexpensive, small portable compressor. Even smaller than a DMG.  Don't have sidechain though sad but if judging by a price to sound ratio, this is the most priceworthy compressor I have ever used. a Smashup on the samplechannels on an Atari STE is like a "go sell your SP1200 and gtfo" in the face smile

also, the DBX 163 is a very good small portable and inexpensive alternative. but seriously, just some EQing from any dj-mixer could make that squarewave kick just as good as any wave channel kick.

Last edited by dubmood (Nov 12, 2012 4:23 pm)

los angeles

2 x lsdj vs 32 x lsdj

Detroit, Michigan
shiroshii wrote:

2 x lsdj vs 32 x lsdj

DMG Royal Rumble

DMG Battle Royal

DMG Championchip Bout

washington
an0va wrote:

NC in the US of America
an0va wrote:

Not really. It had been dead for quite a few hours until this^, actually...

SketchMan3 wrote:

had been dead for quite a few hours

SketchMan3 wrote:

a few hours

Last edited by an0va (Nov 13, 2012 12:35 am)