Sweeeeeeden
Wizwars wrote:

But for the record, consider this - no one ever seems to give a fuck if and when anyone says negative things about fat people. I'll be the first to admit that I'm sensitive to that shit and it actually makes me uncomfortable when I read it. I feel like it isn't usually covered in these sort of things because it's a choice or whatever, but still, you can't pick and choose what hurts people.

At least when it's not used against other people, it's typically a positive stereotype. (Fat beats etc.)

Brazil

I think everyone would benefit of a few light hearted and not so offended view of everything.

But I agree that if you are offended by something you should state and make your point. I guess that better than creating RULES that moderator can apply at their will, people should create an atmosphere of respect, not imposing that respect to everyone.

Hell, we're not 8bc. What is the avarage age of people here? 22? 25? C'mon, guys, we are far from kids anymore. We can talk before bringing the hammer.

If I ever get offended by someone here I would tell right away and if the offenses don't stop then the cops should be called.

I know why we have to have these kind of rules, I just don't agree on why that's such a BIG matter in a forum about music.

shanghai

wait.....this site is about music ? i just come here to pet cute cats : P

Tokyo, Japan
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

I just don't agree on why that's such a BIG matter in a forum about music.

Think of it like this, there are two bars, one has a big sign on the door saying "all welcome" when there staff are careful to make sure while everything is fun and relaxed, the patrons dont get TOO out of hand and start throwing around really vicious insults. The bar next door doesn't have an "all welcome" sign and you dont really know what the staff are like. In all other respects, the bars are the same. Which one are you more likely to go to if you don't want to be insulted in a way which makes you uncomfortable?

Puerto Rico

Wait nigga is still considered offensive? Not to argue against the rule; but oftentimes I see the expression "my nigga" (maybe not on this website specifically) used to express endearment or admiration.

Liverpool, UK

ITT: People needing to check their privilege.

NC in the US of America

Yes, N** is still offensive, though it seems offended people are starting to look the other way and swallow their cockles when it comes up. Not just anybody can get away with saying it in certain company.

Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

I think everyone would benefit of a few light hearted and not so offended view of everything.

But I agree that if you are offended by something you should state and make your point. I guess that better than creating RULES that moderator can apply at their will, people should create an atmosphere of respect, not imposing that respect to everyone.

Hell, we're not 8bc. What is the avarage age of people here? 22? 25? C'mon, guys, we are far from kids anymore. We can talk before bringing the hammer.

If I ever get offended by someone here I would tell right away and if the offenses don't stop then the cops should be called.

I know why we have to have these kind of rules, I just don't agree on why that's such a BIG matter in a forum about music.

1. There was a short talk about it a few months ago when this issue came up.

2. "It's no big deal, I want to do the forbidden" vs. "If it's no big deal, then just don't say it".

Hermit of Garloz say: Though it's messed up, history has shown that it's very difficult for man to "create an atmosphere of good" without some outside push showing him the "error of his ways".

Los Angeles, CA
nitro2k01 wrote:
Wizwars wrote:

But for the record, consider this - no one ever seems to give a fuck if and when anyone says negative things about fat people. I'll be the first to admit that I'm sensitive to that shit and it actually makes me uncomfortable when I read it. I feel like it isn't usually covered in these sort of things because it's a choice or whatever, but still, you can't pick and choose what hurts people.

At least when it's not used against other people, it's typically a positive stereotype. (Fat beats etc.)

Okay, but I can argue that when I say "my nigga" it's a super positive thing because if I ever say that about you, it means you're one of my closest friends.

Sweden

"Nigga" carries a lot of ugly baggage, and even if you mean no harm, the mere use of it will understandably offend some people.

Sweeeeeeden
Wizwars wrote:

Okay, but I can argue that when I say "my nigga" it's a super positive thing because if I ever say that about you, it means you're one of my closest friends.

Note that I said "when it's not used against other people", ie when used about non-living things. That makes all the difference. Calling a person fat is likely offensive in all events. And anyway, the comment was meant be light-hearted, so don't take it too seriously.

Chicago IL

it's 2012 you guys, you need to know that nigga and nigger are two way different things.
either way there's like... maybe 3 black people here? so basically no reason for anyone to use either version.

Playboy Man-Baby
Saskrotch wrote:

it's 2012 you guys, you need to know that nigga and nigger are two way different things.
either way there's like... maybe 3 black people here? so basically no reason for anyone to use either version.

Finally someone in this thread addressed that. "Nigga" is used by some of the black community as a means of re-appropriation of the word, "nigger". The idea is that if the people it was used against start using it themselves, and as a casual word at that, it will return some power to black Americans while taking away some power from the word. That's also the reason it's not really okay for other people to say, "nigga" in casual conversation.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Dec 14, 2012 9:52 pm)

Chicago IL

I mean the main difference is that no one says nigga out of hatred.

Playboy Man-Baby
Saskrotch wrote:

That's kind of implied in what I said. It's used just for casual conversation. I don't think anyone actually says "nigger" anymore unless they're trying to be racist. Or they're Michael Richards and not funny.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Dec 14, 2012 10:27 pm)

washington

Calling something gay or something of the sort seems kind of lazy to me. Like, if you're that angry, then you should find something more creative to say.

On a side note, I'm the whitest person in the world, so I can't even think about the N word without being persecuted*.

Last edited by basspuddle (Dec 15, 2012 6:35 am)

Unsubscribe
Saskrotch wrote:

Im sure somone has tried.