Shreveport, Louisiana

Hi everyone. I'm Zer0 Filt3r, from Louisiana. I've been lurking on here for a little while, and finally made a login. I have been composing on LSDJ for a few years now, but have never really put my music out there. I don't have a musical background, but have always had ideas for music, and a song in my heart. I was introduced to chip music back in what I think was 08 when I stumbled across the full length Reformat the Planet documentary on a random electronics blog that I was reading. I was pretty insprired, and aquired a gameboy and LSDJ rom pretty quickly and was making music the next week on a cart that I ordered from nonfinite. He was nice enough to flash the cart with LSDJ for me with proof of receipt of course. It took me a bit to get the hang of LSDJ since I had never even touched a tracker before, but soon enough I knew all the shortcuts and was making music pretty regularly. Since then life has happened, and I now work full time. I got married about a little over a year ago, and have a beautiful new born baby now! I couldn't be happier! I still always have a my gameboy sitting on the end table next to my bed though, and I'll casually pick it up and write a song every now and then when I'm up later than usual trying to fall asleep. 

I have trouble finishing songs sometimes, but this year, I have decided to finally make an effort to get most of my music recorded and submitted on here for some sweet sweet constructive criticism. I have never actually had much constructive criticism from other artists before, but I'm looking forward to it. It may be a few weeks before I am able to post though. My laptop has a terrible sound card, so I am going to be getting a USB sound card, and a behringer mixer. Should do the trick!

TL;DR Just wanted to introduce myself pretty much. I know that first paragraph read like a narrative of my life or something, no idea why I wrote it like that. lol I would like to be pretty active in the community so don't be surprised if you see me around these parts postin' and what not. Can't wait to start getting my music out there!

Plantation, Florida

Hello everyone, IaTM here (I prefer that slightly, anyway). Been JUST A BIT of a lurker for about 1-and-a-half years now, and just now decided to create an account. I admittedly have an inferiority complex and thought myself "unworthy" of joining a site with such chipmusic greats as Yerzmyey, Nullsleep, Bit Shifter, Danimal Cannon, etc. I've been into writing and covering (mostly just covering) chipmusic for about two years (GOING ON THREE, YAY!), but have been involved with music most of my life (Which isn't really a lot). I work mostly with FamiTracker and LSDj, while dabbling with Deflemask's SID capabilities, and Milkytracker.

I don't know haw many times this has been said here, but what really solidified my love of chipmusic (other than the complete technical aspect) was watching Reformat the Planet, and seeing that there was a whole community of amazing people taking what most OTHER people consider obsolete junk, and repurposing it into a beautiful artistic medium of pure 4-, 8-, and16-bit energy and power... and noise... 

After I found out about Famitracker, I downloaded it, joined the forums, and have pretty much kept myself there and youtube, and that's pretty much the extent of any contact I've had with other chipmusicians (not bashing them at all, as they're awesome people). Like I said, I've been going at this for about 2-3 years, so I'm nowhere near the technological or musical genius of most people here, but that's part of the reason I joined. To learn from the best.

Also, you all seem like really cool people, and I think that with a little work I can join you all in glorious chiptune...

Anyway, it's about 3am here, and I should probably be heading to bed (oy, my priorities :\ ).

Last edited by Im_A_Track_Man (Jan 16, 2013 7:44 am)

Austin, TX

I've mostly been lurking around for the past few weeks, still haven't posted any tracks but I've got a Soundcloud with a few alright tracks and a lot of practice stuff over here.

I'm a teenager from northeast Texas (about to go to UT Austin for college) who's been working with chiptune off and one for the past four or five years. I used to do a few things here and there with LSDJ, but I really got into chiptunes once I started using Shiru's VGM_MM software. It's still what I primarily use, though I plan on switching over to Renoise + little-scale's GenMDM. I think a big reason why I like the Genesis so much is that I grew up playing Shining Force and the Sonic games on my computer with those official Sega emulator compilations.

A lot of influences for me come from punk rock (Snowing, Ging Nang Boyz, Shinsei Kamattechan), hardcore techno (DJ Technorch, M-Project), eurobeat (lot of Initial D Super Eurobeat compilations), and a few other things. I'm still looking for something to focus on, in terms of musical direction.

UK, Leicester

Hey, I'm alpine, and I'm new to the site, but not chipmusic. I was a member of 8bc back when it was still up and because of some of the users there, I'm sort of firmly stuck in my view that "it isn't chiptune unless it'll run on the hardware". I'm not particularly musical, I cover the odd track now and then using famitracker because I'm to much of a cheep-skate to buy LSDJ. Oh yeah, I bought from DJ Transformer back when he only had had a few problems, back when he still had a decent rep, I remember defending him in the old thread on 8bc.

Last edited by Alpine (Jan 23, 2013 12:25 am)

Hey I'm Mask or themask if you're feeling formal, I mainly make music in famitracker and milkytracker, along with some occasional work in sunvox,

looking forward to helping when I can.

Last edited by themask (Jan 23, 2013 3:15 pm)

San Francisco

Greetings, my names chris, from the san francisco bay area. I have a few electronic/ambient projects. Started making electronic music on video game consoles. looking to get back into it so i decided to join this forum.

Chicago IL

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7043/ … on-thread/

Memphis, TN

OOPS!! I beefed that one up pretty bad eh!? ^_^  (refer to what referred me here)
<--knub noob

Hello pepople! My Name is Brian Wilson. (no relation to Brian Wilson) I've been playing Nintendo for just about all my life. So once I started making my own music and not that bull feces they were trying to teach me in school, everyone almost always said. Gee! Your music sounds like video game music! I was always like no way! This ish is the bomb diggity!!!! I put djungle juice on dem beats boi! My first drum machine was the MC303 groovebox. Man I had some wonderful nights with that thing. Then I moved onto the MPC 2000xl, BR-900 and a few others before winding up on the digital side of music...  The Audacity! Cubase! Fruity Loops! Reason 3 - 5, Logic Pro, Pro tools! blah blah blah. I found Henry Homesweet some years back and was totally brought back to my childhood and knew that I had to create chiptunes from then on. No more failing bands, or being a laptop DJ. It is the calling of the 8 bit sound! So please! Help me to do so. I have a small grasp on the nanoloop 2.01 and I think that will be my base of operation. I have 2 of them now and want to update one of them to 2.6. ummm well ok I think that about does it here! I'll be asking questiouns and looking around for a while . . . thank you for existing....

-Namaste

B!Ff

Last edited by m45t3rb1ff (Feb 2, 2013 9:31 am)

Rotterdam, the Netherlands

Hi! My name is Bram. I'm from Rotterdam, the Netherlands. Started listening to chipmusic in 2004. I bought LSDj a year later. Did some perfomances back then and that was really fun! After that I took a break and now I'm making music again. At the moment I'm exploring the possibilities to costumize my gameboys.

Besides chipmusic I listen to a lot of other musical genres. I'm an die hard Alice in Chains fan and I like the 90s Seattle music scene.

My goal is to create a lot of music and hopefully to do some performances again

Santa Cruz, California

HA! I didn't even think to introduce myself. I'm Teh D3th St4r. I'm from Santa Cruz, California. I only just got into chiptune (very recently) and have jumped in head first. I'm an Autodidact (google it) I read a lot, I paint, draw, stencil, sculpt, and build replica movie props. I'm a humongous nerd, and have a knack for the technical. I had heard (and been fond of) music made on old game consoles, but never really looked into how it was done, but then I had a new years resolution: Learn how to do (and become proficient at) at least 12 new things this year. So far, I've been having a lot of fun. I've been playing with the various software available (mostly through emulators while waiting for flash carts) and have modified a couple of DMG's and a Commodore 64. I'm in the middle of a fairly complicated DMG build right now, and should be pretty awesome when it's finished.

I hope to learn a lot from being here.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 3, 2013 9:34 am)

Ello, pretty ladies and gentlecats!
My name is Joshy!
I've been producing Chiptune in alternative ways using Nanoloops on my iPod and iPhone, but before that was FL Studio and a lot of Chiptune plugins. And before that was actually Milky Tracker on my old PC. And before that was using sequencers that I ran into effects a lot.

So I'm not new to Chiptune. Just not very equipped and have had many different attempts of producing Chiptune.

I absolutely love it just as everyone else does here!

And I'm willing to be friends with just about anyone here!
I want to learn how to use the old-school LDSJ on my Gameboys! :D

Indonesia

hii everybody i am new here. my name panca .....actually I've long known about chiptunes nice to meet you guys

hi im Elwin. i really love chiptune music.
but i know nothing about that. i only know i love to hear them dancing in my ear.

i am glad if i can make my own chiptune music, but i really doesn't know how to do it.
anyone help really appreciated big_smile thx.

西安

Hi all,

I'm Nick. I'm from Oregon (Portland). I am a student who really wants to supplement his liberal arts education with some good ol' hard electronics knowledge, so I am learning to solder and assemble basic kits and things. I have listened to chipmusic sporadically for a few years and have been a fan of electronic and experimental music more generally for as long as I can remember.

I've spent the last week or so lurking, digging through vendor sites, and reading the various tutorials made by the awesome members of this community. I have a couple of DMGs in the mail right now after a somewhat successful drunken bidding war on eBay, as well as a GBA, SP and SNES that I have rescued from various resale/vintage shops.

Hope my relationship with this community proves to be a productive and prolonged one.

Cheers!

Albuquerque NM

Hello i am tony and im somewhat new here im an artist i do all sorts of art and i recently have been messing with lsdj on my gameboy im hoping that i can get ideas on how to make better music because i want to try to get as good as saskrotch,nordloef,anamanaguchi,bit shifter, etc. i think it would be great to try to end up playing in the blip festival.

Melbourne, Australia

Welcome guys, hope you enjoy it here smile