Maine
chunter wrote:
TheBronyChip wrote:

oh awesome do they have a facebook page i could like so i know when they are doing shows and stuff?

Http://seeyouinsleep.com
Http://coda.s3m.us
Http://atparty-demoscene.net

Links from memory, don't know if there are bookfaces or not

all those links are broken sad

Nottingham, UK
TheBronyChip wrote:
chunter wrote:

http://seeyouinsleep.com
http://coda.s3m.us
http://atparty-demoscene.net

Links from memory, don't know if there are bookfaces or not

All the websites are correct, just trying typing them in manually. Not sure why the links aren't working.

Chicago IL, USA
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:
TheBronyChip wrote:

All the websites are correct, just trying typing them in manually. Not sure why the links aren't working.

the link bbcode is adding an extra "http://" thus breaking them.

Maine

^ its working now thanks

Brunswick, GA USA
Monotron wrote:

I live in the middle of nowhere Wyoming. Needless to say it isn't bustling.

Responding as a matter of sympathy, where I live the music scenes are small and strong, to the point where I have a good idea of who everyone is and feel that playing for or with them wouldn't break new ground for me. It is easy to bring an instrument to the docks and play for snow birds and tourists.

Wyoming is a big place, but my understanding is that there are tourist centers where you may get permission to busk if that's your feeling. If not, I understand that too.

Last edited by chunter (Jan 22, 2013 4:23 pm)

Czech Republic

Disgree, Martin(e).
I'm a member of a band 'To žluté co máte na kalhotkách' from the end of year 2006. I play Commodore 64 and our music in really not old style tracker demo music. We played lots of gigs, mostly in Brno, Prague, Ostrava, Bratislava and Košice with other electronic music bands from Czech republic and Slovak republic.
I purchased EMS 32M card in April 2008 and I'm making chipmusic in LSDJ since then.
There was no USB card in that time...
I met Ashimoke who invited our band to play a gig, but I Donť know about his career too much.

The first person I heard about using Gameboy to make music was Ondřej from Duo (sometimes Trio) Hugo & Zoe from my hometown Brno.
Hugo & Zoe (Vocal & DMG1+Nanoloop) are playing gigs since 2007 and they are not labeled here on Chipmusic or wasn't labeled on 8bc.
Ondřej also make some stuf with Arduinos and make Custom gameboys (Prosounding, Backlighting etc...), circuitbent and they cooperate with fashion shop called Minimon.

Anyway. Chiptune comunity is a part of Czech and Slovak Underground Electro music comunity  and is quite small. I met people using Gameboys, GP2Xs, Dingoos, ZXSpectrums, Cammodores64, Renoises, BacktoBasics (from Bludgeonsoft) and KorgsDSs. But I didn't see any One man band here playing Chipmusic.

martin_demsky wrote:

I've started to compose chiptunes in the early 1991 on ZX Spectrum 128k+ with ACB stereo output. In Czech and Slovak republic (formerly federation) i knew personally around 20 chiptune artists. Today i don't know nobody (i am active in some music/audio forums here) and i think i am first here, who purchased DMG-01, EMS USB cartridge, LSDJ, backlight, ProSound mod etc.

IL, US

i heart back2basics... used it on the first e.s.c. releases from 2001-2003

Douglas, Wyoming
chunter wrote:
Monotron wrote:

I live in the middle of nowhere Wyoming. Needless to say it isn't bustling.

Responding as a matter of sympathy, where I live the music scenes are small and strong, to the point where I have a good idea of who everyone is and feel that playing for or with them wouldn't break new ground for me. It is easy to bring an instrument to the docks and play for snow birds and tourists.

Wyoming is a big place, but my understanding is that there are tourist centers where you may get permission to busk if that's your feeling. If not, I understand that too.

I thought about doing some stuff around fair time, because that's when the most people show up, but I'm not sure how chiptune would go over well with the local yokels. The only live stuff I've done was at my school for a small class, which was received well, but I'm not sure how well people would receive chiptune here. For people who have played some stuff live in a public setting how did it go for you?

Brunswick, GA USA
Monotron wrote:

For people who have played some stuff live in a public setting how did it go for you?

There are threads about this already, the real answer is that you don't know until you try.

I once played in a used video games store in a college town two hours away, it went well, but it's too far for me to go there with any frequency.

Wellington, New Zealand

In New Zealand it's huge, the popularity of chipmusic here is second only to the roots fusion band known as six60.

Last edited by Fauxhound (Jan 23, 2013 4:26 am)

Fauxhound wrote:

In New Zealand it's huge, the popularity of chipmusic here is second only to the roots fusion band known as six60.

^ fun to see an nzer! i lived in oamaru down south for three years. unfortunately not much/any chip music interest down there (at least what i came across). lots of good musicians in oamaru, just not chip musicians..

in homer alaska i have met only one guy who had been trying to make something like chip music with garage band- he was somewhat unaware of the fact that there was an entire community of serious chip musicians around the world.. he just liked retro games and wanted to make music in that style. i had the pleasure of introducing him to cm.o (don't think he's on here yet) and famitracker (he hadn't ever heard of a tracker). we'll see what happens smile

i'm moving to jerusalem in sept.. i'll be interested to see what i find there. as of yet, i have not been able to find any chip musician presence in that city, but who knows?

Wellington, New Zealand

Dude Oamaru is the steampunk capital of NZ, not really a chip breeding ground. The tearooms there are amazing! TBH #chipNZ isn't huge, but the parties we throw are getting pretty popular!

Fauxhound wrote:

Dude Oamaru is the steampunk capital of NZ, not really a chip breeding ground. The tearooms there are amazing! TBH #chipNZ isn't huge, but the parties we throw are getting pretty popular!

yea, the steampunk exhibits are absolutely incredible.. i miss that about oamaru. i'm glad to hear chip is getting some good reception in nz!

Gosford, Australia

love you blokes across the tasman! maybe i'll see some of you at square sounds?

UK, Leicester

Well up until this thread I thought there was no chiptune scene in leicester, although ForaBrokenEarth, then again I haven't been actively searching for musicians though.

ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

There was a chip show in Leicester during the 2009 boom. Apart from my own gigs there haven't been any since (as far as I'm aware). I'm in Nottingham currently but I'm looking to tap my little well of local resources and try to put on a chip gig in Leicester at some point. If there are any east midlands folks around these parts, get in touch! It'd be nice just to have a pint with some chip musicians and see what we can put together.

My lady friend is from Liverpool and I'm pretty excited that that puts me a pretty sweet position to go see some great gigs and maybe meet some of the folks I've been listening to for so long.

I can't have a pint with ya' but I'd certainly be interested if you where having a show in leicester, I would definitely try and get some of my mates to come with me to it.

Czech Republic

Yeah. I like their soft too.
I'm messing around with BTB and 0303 sometimes.

e.s.c. wrote:

i heart back2basics... used it on the first e.s.c. releases from 2001-2003