South Jersey, USA

I went to 8static in philly. I brought my laptop and the homemade maracas I built a few hours earlier out of paper plates and dried beans,  the outsides decorated with googley eyes and gift bows glued on to them. I went on stage loaded renoise and hit spacebar and started shaking along to the rhythms. It was pretty gay. Gay as in happy and great.

Chicago, IL

My first performance takes place at the International Chiptune Festival of 2050, except we don't call it chiptune anymore, thats old. This post has been modified to be understandable to this time period.  I have a cybernetic implant that plays what I'm thinking directly through a rack of 10 gameboys. I'm just the opening act for a reengineered clone with the DNA of Yoshio Sakamoto and Manami Matsumae, I'd tell you about their set but it violates several temporal prime directives. Afterwards, we all enjoy a cup of soykaf and go back into stasis.

.FILTHadelphia
SJSFC wrote:

I went to 8static in philly. I brought my laptop and the homemade maracas I built a few hours earlier out of paper plates and dried beans,  the outsides decorated with googley eyes and gift bows glued on to them. I went on stage loaded renoise and hit spacebar and started shaking along to the rhythms. It was pretty gay. Gay as in happy and great.

It was awesome and you should play again.

This is a video of my first chipmusic performance ever and my first 8static open mic. Other than the issue of bringing and RCA modded DMG and my hat sticking straight up for about half the song I think it went well. I can never really tell the visuals are really blinding so you can really see anyone past the first couple people.

My first full set however was for DJ McGranaman's birthday in his basement in West Philly. Party looked bumpin' upstairs, in the basement however it was sparse. Before my set Storm Blooper played a sick set and there were a lot of people then I got on and the room cleared out. Bummer. I basically played for about 90% of the other chipmusic guys in Philadelphia, my girlfriend and some toolbags who ran up and yelled in my face "Oh my god, it's a Gameboy! PRESS A BUTTON! PRESS A BUTTON!" Crowd clear and douchebaggery aside it was fun and a good first set experience.

i played one song and people chanted my artist name then i quit music shows for life

edit : there were a lot of people dancing i was basically god

Last edited by token (Jan 29, 2013 12:43 am)

Los Angeles, CA

I played a ten minute open mic set before I had implemented guitar into my set-up.  I just sat on a stool and did live mode while singing.  Went pretty okay actually.

SJSFC wrote:

we miss you come back

Seattle, WA US

I was really high. It went really well

Philadelphia
SJSFC wrote:

My roommates and I have been wondering where you've been these past months!

defiantsystems wrote:

My first full set however was for DJ McGranaman's birthday in his basement in West Philly. Party looked bumpin' upstairs, in the basement however it was sparse. Before my set Storm Blooper played a sick set and there were a lot of people then I got on and the room cleared out. Bummer. I basically played for about 90% of the other chipmusic guys in Philadelphia, my girlfriend and some toolbags who ran up and yelled in my face "Oh my god, it's a Gameboy! PRESS A BUTTON! PRESS A BUTTON!" Crowd clear and douchebaggery aside it was fun and a good first set experience.

Don't even get me started on that. I was so mad. Your set was a lot better than mine and those dumb "AW CATCH A MISSINGNO!" guys were dicks the rest of the night.

lolusa

My first performance as "!Oven Rake!" was a laptop with famitracker, my glockenspiel, a gameboy, and an accordion. I played in Firedrill's living room, and there was about 10 of us there. Had sick ass lights, projector, and a fog machine all running along and it made for a lot of good pictures.
I liked this one

here's the flyer from the show. Colinself and Spamtron didn't show up

Here's my first busking gig during a music-festy in Seattle where I made mad skrill, and you should always play on the street if you want to earn something to eat

South Jersey, USA

Thanks guys I've been too lazy and miss me some live chip. Hopefully next month as I now have sat evenings off again.

Melbourne, Australia

I had the privilege of playing open mic at the pre-party for Square Sounds a couple of weeks ago. I was pretty nervous and made a few mistakes, but I had so much fun. Crowd of maybe around 30 or so people. I should have split the video into two chunks though, 7 min is a bit long!

Gosford, Australia

oh dude i thought those p command freakouts were part of the song, nifty!

Melbourne, Australia
Victory Road wrote:

oh dude i thought those p command freakouts were part of the song, nifty!

Haha, nope, they were my primary gameboy restarting the previous track by accident. (They were my 'click-ins' so I can sync my the channels for recording, dammit!) Oh well, some people noticed, some didn't smile

Melbourne, Australia
Calavera wrote:

I had the privilege of playing open mic at the pre-party for Square Sounds a couple of weeks ago. I was pretty nervous and made a few mistakes, but I had so much fun. Crowd of maybe around 30 or so people. I should have split the video into two chunks though, 7 min is a bit long!

It was a small show, but we got about 60 people in there (that said there were a lot of smokers outside!) so you probably played to more than you think! smile You should feel good about your set. The quality at this open mic was - I think - the best of the three we've done. Looking forward to future releases from everyone who played

washington

I've never played a chip show.

Montreal, Canada

We were both too young and inexperienced. It didn't last very long.

OH wait.. you mean music performance?

That was much more shameful and I'm not about to share that! tongue