United Kingdom

I'd recommend you download a trial of any DAW from their website before considering purchasing.

Don't want to spend you cash to realise the interface is not for you.

ad-hell-aide

If you're not sure about Live, you can always download the trial, have a play and see how it feels.

I think its well worth the money, but others probably disagree.

Scotland

Why not download a variety of different trials/versions of Ableton Live, Fruity Loops, Renoise, Piggy Tracker, FamiTracker, Milkytracker and the like?

Try them out and see what works for you. If you don't know what you're looking for, then it's anybodies guess. If you go away and come back saying, "I hate piano rolls" then, we can cross some of the list.

Fucking highly recommend 2xLSDJ. The majority of tracks using 2xLSDJ suck anal prolapse, and would be trickier to learn (at this stage) how to properly use filters and create a good soundscape. I imagine a sample based tracker will do the trick for you. I've had nothing but joy with Ableton Live.

little-scale wrote:

If you're not sure about Live, you can always download the trial, have a play and see how it feels.

I think its well worth the money, but others probably disagree.

I think most people do agree with you here.  Live is great because you can do anything with it.  I have used Live a little bit but haven't bought it.  I was given a copy of Reason 3 and upgraded to Reason 5 and I like that cause of ease of use.  I haven't read about Reason 6 but I heard that you can now record with it.  But like numerous people have said, trials are the best.

Sydney, NSW
Edward Shallow wrote:

Why not download a variety of different trials/versions of Ableton Live, Fruity Loops, Renoise, Piggy Tracker, FamiTracker, Milkytracker and the like?

This. Nothing will tell you what you like more than trying before buying.

Chicago, IL

If you have an iOs device, iSequence is a great sort of 'introductory' DAWS app that even has things like automation and some decent effects. It's an affordable way to get started if you already have the device. I'm a Logic Pro user myself (using macs since I do iOS programming), but that's mostly for my non-chiptune endeavors that require monstrous resources. Cubase is great too if you're a PC user.

Milwaukee Area, WI

Ableton man. Like what the. I just can't.

Westfield, NJ

whatever DAW you use, go to Sounds to Sample and buy a bunch of Electro House samples packs.

You'll have drum loops, basslines, melodies and a bunch of cool FX.

Then you will realize that you don't need to know a lick of music theory or possess any real talent to make electro house. You just need enough $$$ for the right samples smile

nerdsome wrote:

I've heard good piggy tracks.

Really? where?  I love the pig, but I've yet to hear anything whose quality is on par with other sample-based tracks.  Hexawe is awesome, but I've yet to hear anything that compares with modern sample-based music, imo.  Not that I'm one to talk, just a listener's opinion. The moment Marc adds reverb and ADSR, it may get there.

To OP - piggy actually would be a great starting place if you want a similar interface, actually there's nothing better in that case, by mere virtue of the fact that you could bounce down x number of instruments to piggy's 8 tracks.  You could even maintain your phrase/chain structure.  I find even 8 tracks of samples to be limiting without a native resample feature.  Live is awesome, but I hardly have the money for my first DMG, let alone the Lite or Suite versions.  And I would never condone piracy in a public venue.

Last edited by damelday (Apr 28, 2013 7:13 pm)

Milwaukee, WI
damelday wrote:

I love the pig, but I've yet to hear anything whose quality is on par with other sample-based tracks.

TSC wrote:

Right, but I was referring to mortals. wink  Point well taken.

Long Beach, CA

Get a really nice synth. smile

Or DAW + Midi Controller (less expensive)

Last edited by Terbografx (Apr 28, 2013 8:36 pm)

Try out reaper. at reaper.fm

Its awesome. and it eats everything, Vst, Vsti, Js whatever man.
Fully customizable DAW.

plus, the demo is not crippled, and it never ends.

Download "trial" versions of Loop de loop, Applechun and Renoise.
Personally I prefer Renoise because of that sick sleek tracker interface combined with the aspects of modern DAWs.

That and it's only what, 50 bucks or something?

rochester, ny

buy something like the mc303 or an electribe or an mpc or some other kind of thing like that and an arduinoboy.

detroit
nerdsome wrote:

Why sample LSDJ and import to piggy when you can just use LSDJ?  Personally, I don't like piggy.  I have it on a Dingoo and I never use it.  I don't like sampling.  I'd rather create an instrument and go from there.

Never underestimate piggy. It is one of, if not the most, powerful handheld trackers. you can do ANYTHING with it.