Montreal, Canada

That's an interesting point of view. But I disagree. I'll give a real example of a craft show that is held here each year in Montreal called Le Salon des Metiers D'Art. Smiths, crafters, artisans.. whatever you call the people that expose there, all have to submit their work for peer approval before being accepted at the event.The review process is not about who likes what, but rather on quality control to make sure that what is on offer is of a sufficient level that people from outside their community will be interested.

Anyways. I find it funny that people tell me to move on and just don't listen when something doesn't strike my fancy. It's as if you people imagine me there, going through every second of every song raging at the world because it's bad. Of course I skip the songs, of course I pick and choose what I like, of course I listen to chipmusic from outside this forum...ffs I was making chips in the 80s. Give me some credit.. But the whole point of the thread was to open a discussion about whether or not people find chipmusic to be of lower *musical* quality than other genres. In six pages, there has been like 4 replies that were honest opinion with a sense of discussion.. the rest is just people taking shit personally or saying there's no point in discussing it and making all kinds of parallels with things other than chipmusic. Is there no place for discussions without getting one's panties in a ball here?

Earth
n00bstar wrote:

And now I'm sure a lot of people think I'm a pretentious fuck because omigod I'm judging people's ART but meh.

No I dont think youre pretentious, but this is user generated content. It's not about "chipmusic", it's about the internet at large. Most youtube videos are shit, but that's ok because you don't have to watch them all. We just need better ways to find good content.

n00bstar wrote:

But the whole point of the thread was to open a discussion about whether or not people find chipmusic to be of lower *musical* quality than other genres.

No I think chipmusic attracts people who like melody.

Los Angeles, CA
n00bstar wrote:

That's an interesting point of view. But I disagree. I'll give a real example of a craft show that is held here each year in Montreal called Le Salon des Metiers D'Art. Smiths, crafters, artisans.. whatever you call the people that expose there, all have to submit their work for peer approval before being accepted at the event.The review process is not about who likes what, but rather on quality control to make sure that what is on offer is of a sufficient level that people from outside their community will be interested.

That isn't how CM.O works though, that parallel is kinda silly, Netlabels fill that role, places like CM.O and other forums are for exactly what you've been talking about as a negative, a rolling discussion of the medium. 

n00bstar wrote:

Anyways. I find it funny that people tell me to move on and just don't listen when something doesn't strike my fancy. It's as if you people imagine me there, going through every second of every song raging at the world because it's bad. Of course I skip the songs, of course I pick and choose what I like, of course I listen to chipmusic from outside this forum...ffs I was making chips in the 80s. Give me some credit.. But the whole point of the thread was to open a discussion about whether or not people find chipmusic to be of lower *musical* quality than other genres.

Coming into a forum less than a month ago and expecting people to know exactly what your history in chip is is a bit presumptuous, isn't it?  People see a name they may not recognize and treat them like a new person,  seems like people were just trying to help someone they didn't know, who may not be aware of such things.

n00bstar wrote:

In six pages, there has been like 4 replies that were honest opinion with a sense of discussion.. the rest is just people taking shit personally or saying there's no point in discussing it and making all kinds of parallels with things other than chipmusic.

I think this discussion has been beat to death,  the sentiment that there's no point in talking about the state of chipmusic is not a new one.  It might not be one that I agree with entirely, but I can't say I haven't been there.

n00bstar wrote:

Is there no place for discussions without getting one's panties in a ball here?

Yes there is, I've seen some wonderful discussions on this very topic take place,  saying stuff like this is not the way to go about it.

everyone welcome mick rippon to chipmusic.org

lol

probably

i've made threads like this but used them to recommend good stuff rather than chastise the bad.

i'd say that chipmusic isn't inherently of low quality compared to pop or jazz or fromp metal but it does partially appeal to people from various scenes - retro dance, game soundtrack remix/homage, one hour compo-ing, experimental loop degrader weirdos - who will set aside a great bulk of what's possible in music for the sake of craftmanship, authenticity, tunnel-visioned perfectionism or any other goal which conflicts with pure composition, and arrive at music it's easy to find unsatisfying out of context. i mean i almost totally eschew the idea of modern production and favor the idea that a song is done when the last note is sequenced, and some people will call that art, others will call it laziness, and others still will have no opinion.

Philly, PA, USA
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

Well someone has to maintain the cycle.

hold on, i think this is the most important thing i have ever seen on this website, chip music dot org.
let's just take a moment.

i'm gonna go back to never thinking about this place again.

Last edited by pixls (May 12, 2013 5:54 am)