Fuck off.

9-Heart wrote:

Fuck off.

it's ok deerpresident he earned his right to say that.

Chicago, IL

I have found that when you have a good question on this site, you get some good feedback.

The thing you have to understand with any 'scene' is that people get sick of seeing the same thing over and over. You also start to miss the sense of camaraderie you felt when the scene was small and everyone was learning new things together and the general level of knowledge and competence was higher. It kind of feels like your favorite restaurant or bar has been invaded by a huge group of loud obnoxious happy people celebrating something and drinking. You feel that something is lost. Although the huge group of new folks really didn't mean to take anything from you most of the time, it's hard not to get mad at them.

It happens in music scenes and any kind of hobby thing on the internet. But I'm always reminded of this old song by Telegraph, the song knocks a new 'poser' trying to be part of the 'scene' but then near the end it says 'Where was he when we discovered punk ska, way back last year!?' smile

Last edited by BeatScribe (Mar 25, 2013 11:17 am)

babylon

if people always think you're a dick you probably are. if no one ever thinks your a dick you're probably dick riding.

Nottingham, UK

Good heavens, just look at the time.

Unsubscribe

Sarcasm should be much earlier on this chart.

Michigan
DeerPresident wrote:

PLEASE bring back the lols and grouphugs.

You've obviously never been to a Rochester Chip show....

Michigan

everyones experience here is different, mine has been very positive thus far.

welcome!

Usually it's only passive aggressive posts pretending to be "intellectual discussion." And really, outright negativity gets a bad rap. Not all opinions are equally valid. Some are just stupid. And people say stupid things on the internet so much because others don't point out that they're stupid.

Saying something like, "LSDJ users suck because the world is morally bankrupt. You know in your heart I'm right. I'm sooo deep. Let me put my poems in you." isn't a thought provoking statement.

If you don't want to see negativity, usually when you see any post title "Stop doing [blank]" it's usually a good idea to ignore it.

New Albany Indiana

Its not worth it posting one of these thread, although i agree with you.

The best ever quote about why conflict and negativity are good.

"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock." - Harry Lime

A gray world of dread
blacktionjackson wrote:

"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock." - Harry Lime

Don't like that quote. Actually, I hate it with a passion.
War only fuels innovation because of increased funding. Peace and conflict (which as per quote channels creativity) aren't mutually exclusive, it's just that the conflict isn't violent.

Also, switzerland has the highest number of nobel laurates and an impressive number of otherwise creative people.

Last edited by µB (Mar 25, 2013 3:38 pm)

µB wrote:
blacktionjackson wrote:

Don't like that quote. Actually, I hate it with a passion.
War only fuels innovation because of increased funding. Peace and conflict (which as per quote channels creativity) aren't mutually exclusive, it's just that the conflict isn't violent.

Also, switzerland has the highest number of nobel laurates and an impressive number of otherwise creative people.

True but..

1. The internet: Created by the U.S. dept. of defense. Packet switching was commissioned by DARPA so the gov't could have an information system that could survive a nuclear attack.
2. NASA: Achieved what it did as a direct result of the cold war and the space race with the U.S.S.R.
3. Modern Skateboarding: It wasn't created in an affluent, prosperous city. It was born in Dogtown.
4. Detroit: Look at all the awesome music that has come out of that shithole.
5. Hip Hop: Ghetto
6. Blues and Jazz: Poor black communities in the south.

If you look at almost all major technological and cultural advances over human history, they've all come out of conflict or decay. The reason there's funding for those things is because the conflict and harsh conditions create a necessity and motivation for it. There's only a handful of advances that are the exception to the rule.

And keep in mind, the Nobel prizes are Swedish awards. Let's be realistic.

Last edited by blacktionjackson (Mar 25, 2013 4:29 pm)

Sweden

Maybe you could also list that handful of exceptional advances. From your assertive tone, you seem to have a good idea about this. Maybe you could also list some advances from the past 20 years spawned out of misery and war. Weapons don't count.

Unsubscribe

Baroque music.

Robotcity, the year 20XX

There are 2 sides to this thread:
- first, everyone has been very helpful to me personally. If I had a question, I always got an answer. But I do my research before I ask questions. Sometimes I just don't get all the technology involved big_smile
- but second, I must say that it is sometimes just hard to tell by text if someone is being funny, cynical, sarcastic, or just an ass. That is probably because I am a retarded foreigner.