Gosford, Australia
warez Ozy wrote:

Chipmusic have to stay underground...
No reason to get bigger.

if it never gets any bigger it will become (even more of?) an insular circlejerk. being underground is overrated!

Gosford, Australia

also there's little reason to feel like you've been shit on OP, also your own good intentions would make up more than 5% alone :v

Gosford, Australia

ed: x2 post soz

Last edited by Victory Road (May 7, 2013 1:30 am)

Melbtown, Lolstralia
TalkPolite wrote:

Is it still running?

If I get the time and inspiration it may start up again.. but I figured there might be a bunch of music you would be into posted there

Spokane WA/ Simi Valley CA

Ive been dissecting it over the last couple of hours big_smile I wouldnt mind featuring something like that on the page if you ever start it up again.

Orange County,CA /Las Vegas NV

The most idiotic thing I hear on this forum most the time is "Omg these noobs are killing chip" Every genre has new musicians. So the lack of respect for new members is ridiculous, not to mention new artists, who can possibly carry this beautiful style of music when the older generation sort of fades away. In a way, it's always like a paranoia, I mean no one on this forum invented chiptune... we are all related to chip style music though right? I mean members should try their  best to get along, we're a small community, and after all why burn bridges with musicians we are in the same house as? Rant is over now, *exhales some herb

Orange County,CA /Las Vegas NV
Victory Road wrote:
warez Ozy wrote:

Chipmusic have to stay underground...
No reason to get bigger.

if it never gets any bigger it will become (even more of?) an insular circlejerk. being underground is overrated!

Many people forget, it's not a gameboy or SID chip that makes an artist. I can hand a guitar to a noob on the street, ain't gonna make him fucking hendrix, I agree, why strain to keep chip underground?

NC in the US of America
Cuddle Television wrote:

The most idiotic thing I hear on this forum most the time is "Omg these noobs are killing chip" Every genre has new musicians. So the lack of respect for new members is ridiculous, not to mention new artists, who can possibly carry this beautiful style of music when the older generation sort of fades away. In a way, it's always like a paranoia, I mean no one on this forum invented chiptune... we are all related to chip style music though right? I mean members should try their  best to get along, we're a small community, and after all why burn bridges with musicians we are in the same house as? Rant is over now, *exhales some herb

Cuddle Television wrote:

Many people forget, it's not a gameboy or SID chip that makes an artist. I can hand a guitar to a noob on the street, ain't gonna make him fucking hendrix, I agree, why strain to keep chip underground?

These two posts seem to contradict each other, but I can see where they don't.

Anyway, I see newbies on this forum get praised and embraced, or at least encouraged, on a regular basis. I'd say one out of every four. And most of the time it's not by other newbies.

Plus, it isn't anything new for some of the "old guard" to pit themselves against the newcomers who are looking for the acceptance of the veterans, and the new artists to eventually say "who cares what you think anyway?" (but they don't really mean it) and do their own thing . It happened with Rock n Roll (what kind of music? The Real kind, man.) vs. Rock,  the original Punk Rock in the 70's vs. everything else that came after that dared don the Punk mantle, Metal vs. Nu Metal vs. Hardcore, OG vs. New-School Rap, Hiphop vs. New Jack Swing, Gregorian Chant vs. Hymn, Henry Ford vs. Anything that isn't the original Model-T...

Not saying it's right, but it's natural. I'd even go so far as to say that this phenomenon is actually often good for progress and reinvention and change in the arena of art. It's just a little extra push to keep newcomers from being complacent in the old ways.

Actually, I'm not really sure about that. I tend to like retro-oriented stuff over trendy stuff, myself. >_>

Spokane WA/ Simi Valley CA

Incorporating "This week in chiptune" as weekly update to help expose members of the page to different tracks. Thanks to DJ Cutman for being awesome! Sharing it here as well as the page to help him out.

https://soundcloud.com/djcutman/thisweek006

(By the way, one of the songs he found while browsing on this site)

Last edited by TalkPolite (May 8, 2013 8:08 am)

New Albany Indiana
Cuddle Television wrote:

The most idiotic thing I hear on this forum most the time is "Omg these noobs are killing chip" Every genre has new musicians. So the lack of respect for new members is ridiculous. Rant is over now, *exhales some herb

That's so true man. *exhales some herb and then passes it back to you*

South Jersey, USA

did anyone else shamelessly PM the OP a link to their music as he's excited about chipmusic for the first time? or am I the only one?

Last edited by SJSFC (May 8, 2013 1:59 pm)

Abandoned on Fire
Cuddle Television wrote:

In a way, it's always like a paranoia, I mean no one on this forum invented chiptune...

It's easy to forget how small chipmusic still is and how relatively new as an artform it is.  The "inventors" of chiptune as distinct from pure game soundtracks or cracktros are still very much around and even on this forum.  Even 2nd and 3rd generation artists like the micromusic.net or 8bp crew (and contemporaries) are still very close to the source and obviously still active and relevant.  Annnd... I guess that's all I have to say about that.

Unsubscribe

I invented chiptune. Its something I regret every day, like Alfred Nobel and Dynamite.

IL, US
egr wrote:
Cuddle Television wrote:

In a way, it's always like a paranoia, I mean no one on this forum invented chiptune...

It's easy to forget how small chipmusic still is and how relatively new as an artform it is.  The "inventors" of chiptune as distinct from pure game soundtracks or cracktros are still very much around and even on this forum.  Even 2nd and 3rd generation artists like the micromusic.net or 8bp crew (and contemporaries) are still very close to the source and obviously still active and relevant.  Annnd... I guess that's all I have to say about that.

Truth.. I sure didn't invent it, but when you're talking about a scene that's approx 30 years old and we have people on this site who have been doing it for ten, fifteen, twenty years that's damn close enough to the source to maybe be a little protective of our already horribly misrepresented and misunderstood scene (mario at a rave, all nerds, all about nostalgia, covers, remixes, no girls around, , all happy/danceable music, etc)...

Brunswick, GA USA
herr_prof wrote:

I invented chiptune. Its something I regret every day, like Alfred Nobel and Dynamite.

How does someone win a Swimm Prize?

Unsubscribe

Pm me for my paypal address.