Austria

Hello.. got my GenMDM.. hooked it up.. only was able to play some notes via a midi pattern.. could not directly control it via the keyboard yet.. Is there a manual out at the moment ?
Thanks guys.. cant wait to use this FM Beast big_smile

ad-hell-aide

Hi RyuX,
I've tested your unit out with both USB and DIN MIDI connections, so I am confident that it *can* work.

Now, did you set the jumper on the GenMDM? If so, did you unplug the USB before doing so? And if so, once you connect the GenMDM to the SEGA (without USB but with the jumper) do you find that the sound comes on?

Cheers,

- Seb

Austria

Hello..
I already set the jumper to internal Voltage.. so i didnt connect USB at all.
It plays the sound when turning on the Sega, also i was able to play it with drawing a midi pattern in my sequencer, but directly playing it via the keyboard was not working.
I am still a little confused on how to change parameters on the GenMDM smile
I also donated to Aly James because he stated that the FMDrive will work with the GenMDM.
Thanks

ad-hell-aide

I assume, then, that your computer sequencer is connected via traditional MIDI and not USB? (Sorry, I just want to make sure I have a clear picture in my head!)

To change parameters with GenMDM, it is a matter of sending MIDI continuous controller messages.

What sort of keyboard are you using?

ad-hell-aide

You can see a list of all available parameters here:
http://little-scale.com/GENMDM/GENMDM_1 … DM_102.txt

Austria

I am using a Axiom Pro 25 from M-Audio.
The keyboard is connected via USB, the GenMDM is connected to the Midi Out of the Soundcard. The Keyboards routed through the Midi Out of the soundcard. I use Reaper as Sequencer.

Austria

Ah.. think i found out.. its a velocity thing.. when i draw a note as midi pattern velocity is at 127.. when i play it on the keyboard it is around 60.. that doesnt seem to work with the genmdm

ad-hell-aide

A velocity of 60 should still work, but it will be VERY quiet (GenMDM is sensitive to velocity, velocities of 90 - 127 already give a large range of volume). smile It's just the way it is with the FM synthesis and the way that it works and is mapped. :S

Is the keyboard triggering any notes at all? Is the keyboard enabled as a MIDI device? Is the keyboard enabled as a track input device with a MIDI track? Is the output of the MIDI track routed to GenMDM?

ad-hell-aide

Try adding the Velocifier JS / MIDI effect to the MIDI track, and set the minimum to 127:

Austria

If i really hit the Keyboard hard.. (i mean extremely hard), the GenMdm will make a sound. The Velocifier doesnt work.
I set up the Keyboard the right way, its just the velocity i guess sad

aaah.. i got it.. had to set the Note Min to 0 in the velocifier (because Note Min sets the minimum of velocity for notes that the Plugin will handle).
So now its working.. yay.. just need to set up some CC# to my knobs.. which are the most common ones to play around with ?
Thank you seb big_smile

ad-hell-aide

I would suggest starting with some that will sound quite obvious, such as:

* Preset Instrument Setting Recall from RAM    CC# 9
* FM Algorithm     CC# 14
* FM Feedback CC# 15
* Multiple OP 1     CC# 20
* Multiple OP 2     CC# 21
* Multiple OP 3     CC# 22
* Multiple OP 4     CC# 23

FRANCE

On using the FMDrive random bytes generator to control the 14Bytes Custom Waveform on GenMDM...

United Kingdom
Aly James wrote:

On using the FMDrive random bytes generator to control the 14Bytes Custom Waveform on GenMDM...

That beat sounds awesome!

ad-hell-aide

Nice work!

FRANCE

Hi Seb, Could you explain a bit how the beta GENMDM VGM CAPTURE maxpatch works?
I am not sure what to set into Capture device and Sync device..
I did a basic test, just hook up a midi keyboard, set it on capture device as an input and also as a Sync.
sending some CC's via physical knobs and sliders do output some data on the screen but playing any keys don't.
thx

ad-hell-aide

Sure!

Well, CC#114 needs to be set above 64

Then, the GenMDM will send YM2612 page, address, and data values.

Page, address and data values are sent as a single MIDI CC message of the form:

Control number = address & 127
Control value = data & 127
Channel bit 0 = page 0 or 1s
Channel bit 1 = data bit 7
Channel bit 2 = address bit 7
Channel bit 3 = SN76489 on or off

Sync data is not needed, and may prove to be an issue.